Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

So Call dyno day recap results..

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Mr Twisted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm more incline to believe Chris is running rich, since 13 other guys including 3 stock cars had consistantly good A/F #s for the most part. Maybe Patrick can post everyone's dyno sheets.'

I remember overhearing that Phamitsu had an on board A/F meter and it agreed with the tailpipe sensor with in 1/10th?

FlZ boy .. Go with the rims and tires you like. Your starting Numbers look great. Your one of the lucky ones.

Phalocke Secret mod. Nismo wing / w hidden spray

clear the air and take what we know and lets get back together in better weather....
Old 01-10-2005, 05:53 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by Mr Twisted
I remember overhearing that Phamitsu had an on board A/F meter and it agreed with the tailpipe sensor with in 1/10th?
Ron,

Yeah, he has the exact same Wideband setup that I have (Zeitronix Zt-2) except he has the digital display and I don't. I didn't hear that his numbers were accurate though so maybe I am in fact running rich as the dyno said. As soon as this damned rain stops, I'll do some runs and see.

-CHris
Old 01-10-2005, 05:54 PM
frenzee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, the lesson of the day was that the Kinetix plenum is good for about 10hp across the board (not just at the top end), as shown by the G35 who did a pre and post dynoe. It was really hard for me to believe those numbers, as the torque curve was consistently 10lb. or so higher from 2,500 all the way to cut-off, but the chart spoke for itself, so that might be cheapest and easiest mod you guys can perform that actually does deliver.

As for me, I'll have to re-dyno after I figure out what's wrong with my baby. For those who weren't there, we got really, really bad knocking (which until then I was unaware of) right around 4000 RPM and I motioned him to cut off the run so my numbers are not true peak numbers. I have to wait for Tadashi to get back and hopefully diagnose the problem.

All in all, it was a great meet and a lot of fun.

Peace
Out
Old 01-10-2005, 06:36 PM
___DJK___

Originally posted by frenzee
IMO, the lesson of the day was that the Kinetix plenum is good for about 10hp across the board
Tell that to Tony!

edit:

Here are the graphs for my runs. Dyno was performed with 19x10s on the back. My a/f through the mid RPMs is kind of worrying me...

STD graph

SAE corrected:

Last edited by ___DJK___; 01-10-2005 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Phalocke
The Immortal

Well I was hoping you guys didn't find out about my secret mods, anyways will have to do another dyno day when the weather is better and by then I will have my HKS exhaust installed. Perhaps my dyno numbers will drop with this performance mod installed.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:18 PM
frenzee

I was surprised that the SAE numbers were lower, not higher. We were at practically sea lever, however the temperature (per the dyno) was around 71F and humididy was 50%+ and AFAIK, both of these would hinder perfornance not improve it. So that was another surprise, for me at least.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:48 PM
FLZ_Boy

Originally posted by Phalocke
Well I was hoping you guys didn't find out about my secret mods, anyways will have to do another dyno day when the weather is better and by then I will have my HKS exhaust installed. Perhaps my dyno numbers will drop with this performance mod installed.
AHHH HA ! I knew it, you were running supa sekret mods !
Old 01-10-2005, 11:22 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally posted by frenzee
I was surprised that the SAE numbers were lower, not higher. We were at practically sea lever, however the temperature (per the dyno) was around 71F and humididy was 50%+ and AFAIK, both of these would hinder perfornance not improve it. So that was another surprise, for me at least.
I agree. If anything, what I think may have been off is the humidity. 50% humidity for a rainy day like that seemed low. The weather reports read about 80-90% for the area.

Here's also a nice info page I found on SAE (and other dyno testing calculations):

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/cf.htm

Last edited by zxsaint; 01-10-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:37 PM
JisNis

Whats up with the TS reflash...Seems like everyone who had it was pinging. And it didn't seem to make much HP for the amount of money that it costs. Whats your thoughts on that? My next mod is a TS reflash....but now Im not to sure.

Those stock Zs were putting up some reall good numbers.....Did any of you guys race?
Old 01-11-2005, 03:18 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by JisNis
Whats up with the TS reflash...Seems like everyone who had it was pinging. And it didn't seem to make much HP for the amount of money that it costs. Whats your thoughts on that? My next mod is a TS reflash....but now Im not to sure.

Those stock Zs were putting up some reall good numbers.....Did any of you guys race?
I think that the guys with the TS flash were all on '04 Z's which are running the newer Flash. I know that Ron (Mr. Twisted) was running the prototype '04.5 Flash and he was pining bad and blowing black smoke. I'd expect that with a newer flash, but I think that the '03 flashes are pretty well under control.

I still think that it's unbelieveable that bone-stock Z's were putting down higher hp than modded ones. Mind-boggling.

-Chris
Old 01-11-2005, 03:59 PM
frenzee

FYI, I'm an '03, got reflashed < a year ago.

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle
I think that the guys with the TS flash were all on '04 Z's which are running the newer Flash. I know that Ron (Mr. Twisted) was running the prototype '04.5 Flash and he was pining bad and blowing black smoke. I'd expect that with a newer flash, but I think that the '03 flashes are pretty well under control.

I still think that it's unbelieveable that bone-stock Z's were putting down higher hp than modded ones. Mind-boggling.

-Chris
Old 01-11-2005, 04:18 PM
FLZ_Boy

Originally posted by JisNis

The rainy conditions weren't too ideal to do any kinda of speed runs. But California Speedway on January 22, 2005 will have open street drags .
Old 01-11-2005, 04:38 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by ChrisMCagle

-Chris
Although peak numbers are nice. What were the power curves like. If I put on a mod and didn't gain much on the top end, but gained 20 hp down low I would be happy. I would like to see the dyno charts to compare the entire powerband and not just peak #'s.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:44 PM
daytona350z

Originally posted by Rickdogg
Although peak numbers are nice. What were the power curves like. If I put on a mod and didn't gain much on the top end, but gained 20 hp down low I would be happy. I would like to see the dyno charts to compare the entire powerband and not just peak #'s.
here is one that i am proud of. not this dyno day, but my header dyno
Old 01-11-2005, 04:52 PM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by Rickdogg
Well, my dyno graphs are on the first page of this post. Looking at the base graph vs the graph from Saturday, about the only difference (aside from the A/F) is that the line is smoother now that the base line which is a little jagged.

-Chris
Old 01-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks guys! Mr Twisted put some nice info up, but it would be extremely beneficial if we had the graphs to compare so we could see the entire powerband for some realy scrutiny on what added to or hindered what.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:00 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Datona350Z

Datona350Z Wrote

here is one that i am proud of. not this dyno day, but my header dyno

Yes, that Dyno - With Header's on the Same Dyno is a very good benchmark... Thank's Anthony.

Cheers Amy -
Old 01-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Mr Twisted

Default Dyno Graphs

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, ZXSaint has the complete list of graphs and he will post when he gets time. Some of us have other lives besides cars..What I did was to teaser.

Pinging come from the timing being off
T/S Flash addresses mostly fuel management.

Now in the case of Frenzee '03 He added at least headers and who knows what other secret mods since he Flashed.

I'm pretty sure the T/S flash doesn't like rain, The Twisted 1 pinged in the rain during to Stillen day last year and when I dyno after on a dry day No pinging???? Pinging my have been caused by water in the cold air systems
Old 01-11-2005, 09:48 PM
frenzee

Default Re: Dyno Graphs

Originally posted by Mr Twisted
...Now in the case of Frenzee '03 He added at least headers and who knows what other secret mods since he Flashed.
Alright, alright, say what you will (shall we call you Mr. Inquisitioner from now on? j/k). But honestly I didn't remember all the mods I had at the time. Everything I got is in my sig. Honest, no secret mods. Anyways, here are a couple more lessons I took home:

1) A basic <$300 100-shot nitrous system is good for about 70-75 hp.

2) The '04 RPM cut-off is a smooth throtle back as oppesed to the abrupt cut-off in the '03's.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:42 PM
ChrisMCagle

Default Good news... kinda

Well, I got some good news a little while ago. I was able to get 2 good WOT runs in on my way back to work and it appears that the tailpipe sniffer on the Dyno this past Saturday was pretty accurate. I AM in fact running PIG rich as the graph below shows. Now I am just confused as to why I was at 12.5 a few months ago and nothing changed (that I had anything to do with) and now I am about a whole number richer?

-Chris

Quick Reply: So Call dyno day recap results..