Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Socal Adelphia high speed internet

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:42 PM
shinz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Socal Adelphia high speed internet

Sorry, this is Off topic but i thought it would be better in here. Anyway, do any of you use Adelphia high speed internet in the Diamond Bar/Walnut/Rowland Heights area? For the past few years i've been getting some crappy speeds during peak hours and i'm kinda fed up with it at this point. I'm not sure if it's just me, or others are experiencing it as well. From like 4 PM to around 1 AM, the internet gets really slow. Download/surfing speeds are acceptable, not good, but better than dial up. Gaming speed is another story. When i play games like counter strike, im getting 200 ping in servers located in Socal. It's not always 200 ping though, sometimes 300, 400, 500 or knocked out of the server due to connection problems. I go back to that same server, whatever server that may be, after 2 am and it's 20 ping. Now i understand that during peak hours cable internet does get slower, but is it really suppose to get that much slower? Sorry, had to rant.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:19 AM
jimster716

That's the gamble you take with cable internet. That's why I would rather have my 1.5mbps DSL then take a chance of getting 3 or 4mbps only late at night or early in the morning. I play Joint Operations a lot so I would rather have a reliable connection than a faster connection.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:17 PM
BoostTed

i live in north hollywood and I had adelphia cabel internet for a week before i canceled. It was absolutely horrible. From 5pm to like 1am my dial-up was faster. Around 2-4am it was be blazing fast but that is no use to me. Adelphia cable TV sucks too.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:41 PM
jeffa

I have Adelphia cable in he South Bay. I have no problems at any time of the day, fast downloads all the time. My only issue is that the cable for the internet goes down about once a month...once for 2 days. I complained, got two months free on the bill...so far so good.

With cable, your speed depends on how close you are to the cable server system. I'm less than 1000 feet from the main cable access for my neighborhood, and don't have to many other users in my area.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:02 PM
SB Track

Adelphia in Brea, just south of your area. Works fine. It is NOT dependent of the other users in the area, at least in my area.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:33 PM
iLLestJrz

I have a story to tell too.

I live in Burbank/ Toluca area and I had subscribed to Adelphia High Speed internet (the fastest service they offered) and it was the worst ever. I used it a lot fot SOCOM II online and it just kept booting me off. It was never good at any time. I hated it and called to complain that their service sucked a$$.

Then I moved on to a slower speed... SBC DSL. Which is actually faster that the $hity Adelphia. Its so unfortunate that there are no other serive providers in my area.

I had come from a service from Charter Cable and they were excellent.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:47 PM
desiZ

its funny i saw this thread.. just last nite i called up adelphia cause my speed showed 20k/sec on bandwidth tests... i dont have a choice of shifting though... no dsl in my area and adelphia isthe only cable company... my only choice is dialup... sigh
Old 02-03-2005, 05:14 PM
shinz

I don't think i can get DSL in my area either. At least i couldn't 3 years ago but maybe things have changed. Actually their website told me i was eligable and i ordered it and everything but never got it to work. I called them up and they told me i was just outside their maximum distance range or something.

Anyway about being close to the main cable server. Are you sure that could be the problem because in the Off Peak hours i get really great speeds. Maybe they're just loading too many people onto the servers?

Actually the Adelphia office is located pretty close to my house, like a 2-3 minute drive, but i'm not sure if that's where the main cable access thing is located.

There was a brief time about 4 years ago when i use to get really great speeds all through the day...what happened

damn you adelphia!!!
Old 02-03-2005, 08:31 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Who is DSL provider?

Originally posted by jimster716
That's the gamble you take with cable internet. That's why I would rather have my 1.5mbps DSL then take a chance of getting 3 or 4mbps only late at night or early in the morning. I play Joint Operations a lot so I would rather have a reliable connection than a faster connection.
Jimster - Who is your provider.. I have Covad-MCI-Qwest commercial at 384Kbit - SDSL and 64 IP addresses.. Set up four years ago.

I'll bet I'm paying way to much...

Cheers Amy -
Old 02-04-2005, 09:04 AM
desiZ

Originally posted by shinz
I don't think i can get DSL in my area either. At least i couldn't 3 years ago but maybe things have changed. Actually their website told me i was eligable and i ordered it and everything but never got it to work. I called them up and they told me i was just outside their maximum distance range or something.

Anyway about being close to the main cable server. Are you sure that could be the problem because in the Off Peak hours i get really great speeds. Maybe they're just loading too many people onto the servers?

Actually the Adelphia office is located pretty close to my house, like a 2-3 minute drive, but i'm not sure if that's where the main cable access thing is located.

There was a brief time about 4 years ago when i use to get really great speeds all through the day...what happened

damn you adelphia!!!

same thing with me... earthlink dsl sent me the kit and everything and then later on said "oh sorry blah blah blah"...

hate adelphia!!! after calling them yesterday (2/3), the earliest date they could send a technician was 2/15... can u belive that ? so i'm stuck without internet till then... i'm gonna make em credit me...
Old 02-04-2005, 01:55 PM
frenzee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know if you have coax or fiber cable?

Unlike DSL, I dont believe distance has anything to do with the speed for cable modems. It's more likely that the load on their routers is heavier during certain times, so the bottleneck is probably on thier end, not yours.

Have you asked any of your neighbors if they have the same problem and/or DSL. If you find a friendly someone who lives close by and has a fast, reliable connection, they might be willing to share it with you using wireless. With a good directional antenna, I think you can boost the range to several hundred feet.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:14 PM
shinz

I'm not sure if it's coax or fiber cable. I made a post on dslreports and gave them my modem MAC address and they said

"you're affected by the overload issues on the CMTS you're connected to.

Although, I've received word the problem is actually being worked now and a resolution may be coming..."
Old 02-04-2005, 10:26 PM
jimster716

Default Re: Who is DSL provider?

Originally posted by AmyCroft
Jimster - Who is your provider.. I have Covad-MCI-Qwest commercial at 384Kbit - SDSL and 64 IP addresses.. Set up four years ago.

I'll bet I'm paying way to much...

Cheers Amy -
I have SBC Yahoo DSL. I pay $39.99/mo trial offer for one year then it goes to $59.99.

I complained after years of 384 and not getting 384down and they told me i was at the outer edges to the dslam. So I told them to fix it or lose a longtime customer so they built me a remote terminal which is like a mini-dslam. Since I'm the only one on the terminal i actually get on average 2.2mbps.

They don't advertise remote terminals due to anti-trust laws meaning they could build you one but you are not obligated to stay with them since the line is considered open to competition.