Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

7/16/05: Buttonwillow Performance Clinic

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 01:49 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 7/16/05: Buttonwillow Performance Clinic

This is a spin off from the other thread, THE NEXT RUN. I have contacted the Clinic people and they told me that we can get a group discount if we can get 5 or more people to register. In order to receive this group discount, we need to register under the same group name so I would like to use the group name, "3FIVEZEROZ". This was selected a while back. They have not mentioned the max number of people they can accomodate. But I believe the number is limited. Please register early.

Date: Saturday, July 16
Time: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Registration Fee: $195 ($175 each if we can get 5+ people)
Group name: 3FIVEZEROZ

You need to register DIRECTLY WITH THEM. However, please put your name here if you registered under 3FIVEZEROZ. Here are the details (*borrowed* from Scott Webb):

Buttonwillow Performance Driving Clinic

Taught on Buttonwillow's Challenging Race Track

Our instructors will take you through a short ground school session focusing on safety & performance driving techniques, and then it's onto the track!

Registration Fee - only $195 ($175 each if we can get 5+ people)
Includes Lunch and $15 Buttonwillow Gift Shop Credit
Gates open at 8:00 am for sign-in and safety inspection
Helmet Required
Participants welcome to bring family, friends and a picnic
*Convertibles must have rollbars

For additional information, call the Buttonwillow Raceway Park office at 661-764-5333, or send email to:
lesrace@aol.com.

Old 05-03-2005, 01:51 PM
SHO-TIME

1. SHO-TIME (03 SS Z)
2. RICK (M3)
Old 05-03-2005, 02:11 PM
L337350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Plan on registering for this

1. Sho-time (03 Ss Z)
2. Rick (m3)
3. L337350 (05 Z)
Old 05-03-2005, 02:18 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Tentatively in.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm an instructor at most of these events (so I can't count for the 5-person discount), and I'll be there unless I encounter a significant schedule conflict.

You will enjoy this event, but come prepared for HOT weather in July.

And another thing, I believe Buttonwillow accepts the factory roll bars in the Z Roadster as sufficient roll-over protection - but check for yourself first.

Last edited by Scott Webb; 05-03-2005 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:11 PM
FLZ_Boy

Sounds like fun. The insurance company shouldn't have a cow since it's a driving school....... Do we need to prep the Z up for this day? Like better brake pads etc etc etc.

It's going to be a hot day in the middle of July, I suspect a stock Z won't like it alot.

I'll see what my schedule is like in a month before I commit.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:35 PM
SHO-TIME

Just FYI, although the clinic can accomodate 65 people but spots fill up pretty fast. I recommend signing up early if possible.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:06 PM
DIZMINE

1. Sho-time (03 Ss Z)
2. Rick (m3)
3. L337350 (05 Z)
4. DIZMINE [03 SS Z]
Old 05-04-2005, 06:23 AM
zman23

Default Going to be registering very soon.

1. Sho-time (03 Ss Z)
2. Rick (m3)
3. L337350 (05 Z)
4. DIZMINE [03 SS Z]
5. Zman23 (03 RL Z)
Old 05-04-2005, 07:45 AM
SHO-TIME

For those of you who would like to know the address of the place, here it is.

Buttonwillow Raceway
(661) 764-5333
24551 Lerdo Hwy
Buttonwillow, CA 93206

I'm now looking up the near by motels for those that would like to spend the night before there so you are fully energized in the morning. It seems like there are usual motels like Days Inn and what nots. I'm assuming most of them would have good parking but may want to stay away from the ones that are too close to the HWY due to those tend to (or may) be truckers rest spots. If anyone have ideas, pls let us know. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:51 AM
Scott Webb

Special Prep: The amount of prep really depends upon how seriously you want to take your track day. If it's your first time on the track, I would suggest that the only thing your really need to do is ensure that all maintenance is up to date. Check engine/gearbox/diff oil, coolant, brake fluid, brake pad thickness, etc. If you're past your service interval for the replacement of any of these fluids, have them changed. Make sure your tires aren't cracking, worn down to the cords or damaged in any way. Tighten the lug nuts to their torque spec. Things like that.

If I was going to upgrade anything, it would be the brake pads and fluid. I don't have a specific recommendation (I'm sure there have been threads on these upgrades on this board - check this thread in racing/auto-x section - https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/114675-options-and-vendors-for-non-brembo-oem-rear-track-pads.html ), other than I've had recent good luck with Hawk pads and a variety of fluids including Motul and Ford Heavy Duty (believe it or not!).

It's not a bad idea to give the car a nice wax before heading up, as it makes it easier to clean off bugs, rubber marks, etc. You might also consider some paint protection film and/or protective tape (blue masking tape is popular), although most don't worry about such things. It's not going to be much/any worse than a sandy canyon run.

Hotels/Motels: A list of BW hotels can be found at http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/foodhotels.htm . I typically drive up the morning of the event, but I've stayed at all of these places at one time or another. I think my favorite was the Super 8, although I've spent more nights at Motel 6. None of them are particularly nice. If you want nice, stay in Bakersfield. I haven't heard much in the way of theft/vandalism problems in BW, other than a complete race rig (truck & trailer) being stolen a couple of years ago.

Other Tidbits: The heat shouldn't be a significant problem with a car as modern as the 350Z, unless you've neglected maintenance. The heat is more likely to affect the driver, so make sure you stay hydrated throughout the day. Bring a tire pressure gauge - air is available at the track. 100 and 91 octane unleaded are also available right at the track, but arrive with a full tank unless you want to add race fuel right away from the track's pump. You will burn fuel at a high rate on the track.

Above all else, make sure you bring plenty of attractive single women for the instructors... one in particular.

If I can think of anything else, or if anyone has questions, don't hesitate to post here, send a PM or an email (scott@webbracing.com).
Old 05-04-2005, 11:58 AM
SHO-TIME

Scott:
It's good to know that you will be there! And thanks for your inputs on motels and other info.

Everyone:
Please also note whether you have enrolled or not. Please make sure to write down the group name "3FIVEZEROZ" right next to you name on the enroolment form (for the lack of place to put it) so that they can identify us as a group. Thank you.

1. Sho-time (03 SS Z) - Enrolled 5/4/05
2. Rick (M3) - Enrolled 5/4/05
3. L337350 (05 Z)
4. DIZMINE [03 SS Z]
5. Zman23 (03 RL Z)

Some of you have asked me about helmets. There are a couple of threads discussing the helmet choices. (FYI, I have never gone to a track before so this will be my first experience too.) I am personally debating wether to buy a helmet or rent it at the track. ($10) For those of you who are worried about "other ppls sweat", headsocks are included in the rental fee.

Last edited by SHO-TIME; 05-04-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:56 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

This is going to be a great event. Wish I could join you but my Saturdays are dead till after World Series. (Once again AudioPat's work interferes with his personal life ) I took a two day course at Streets of Willow Springs shortly after getting my Z and had the time of my life. I would highly reccommend this to anyone that can make the date. Look forward to the pics.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:38 PM
The Liu Man

"Convertibles must have rollbar".... do ZRs have rollbars???

I'm very interested. Tentatively in!

edit: just read Scott Webb's post from earlier.... so... I'm assuming it's okay to bring a stock ZR?

Last edited by The Liu Man; 05-11-2005 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:01 PM
ZRAYGO

Scott,

This is Ray. I noticed it said 'Street Legal'. Does this mean that TT's are not welcome, because as you know, none of us are street legal.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:06 PM
SHO-TIME

That reminds me... how about test pipes? Those with Test Pipes are not street legal, are they? Or is that exempt for the purpose of the track?
Old 05-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Scott Webb

Z Roadsters - I'd double check with Les directly, but I beleive that the 350Z Roadster factory roll-over protection will pass tech. At the last event there were S2000s and Z4s running with only the factory roll bars, and we've had Boxters, too.

"Street Legal" - This line is just meant to convey that you don't need a race car to drive on the track. There is NO requirement for emissions legality for this event. As long as your vehicle passes a safety inspection and is in good working order, you will pass tech.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:56 PM
SHO-TIME

Hey scott, one more possible q.... for cars w/ aftermarket rollbars (I dont have it but others may but too shy to ask), do they need to be padded? Thanks.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:28 AM
Scott Webb

Originally Posted by SHO-TIME
Hey scott, one more possible q.... for cars w/ aftermarket rollbars (I dont have it but others may but too shy to ask), do they need to be padded? Thanks.
That would really depend upon the design. A full cage should have padding any place a body part could contact the cage, but a roll bar that's only behind the driver/passenger might not need it. I would suggest that anyone with a roll bar/cage bring along some padding and zip ties just in case.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:19 AM
J Ritt

How much actual track time will be included in this event? Thanks.

Last edited by J Ritt; 05-16-2005 at 11:21 AM. Reason: whoops.

Quick Reply: 7/16/05: Buttonwillow Performance Clinic