Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

MAY13th: Fri Night Drag Racing at LACR (Z/G Trophy run!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 09:54 PM
SoCalTed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAY13th: Fri Night Drag Racing at LACR (Z/G Trophy run!)

OK... it's been a while since we've gotten a group of G35D'rs & My350z'rs out for a night of fun at the track.

If you have NEVER drag raced (legal or illegal) don't worry, we'll walk you thru everything you need to know!

1) No helmet, rollbars, 5-point harnesses, firesuits etc... required
2) $15 for driver, $5 for each passenger/spectator
3) The sell food and drink there, but we bring a sack lunch and bottled water!
4) It is best to show up with no more than 1/4 tank of gas.

This is a RUN WHAT YOU GOT night. No worries about winning or losing, just have some fun.

How it works (for the newbies)
We will usually meet up at various locations (according to geography) and then caravan to "Coral Rd." in La Canada, which is a little U-Turn street behind the Shell gas station before heading up the 2 (Angeles Crest):

Be at Coral Rd no later than 4:30pm. Or you will need to get to LACR on your on.

Of course, you can always drive up the 14 to LACR, but traffic can be a killer and nowhere near as fun as driving with your fellow Z/G'rs thru the Crest!

Once we get to LACR, we pull to the left lanes for Race (the right line is for Spectator parking)

If we get there before 5pm, we sit in line until they wave us in. You pull up to the booth and pay $15 for the driver and $5 per passenger (they will usually ask you if you will be racing at the booth). They will then pass you the waiver forms to sign (you and passenger). Once you pay your $$ they will give you a ticket and a lane map.

Drive forward to the "Tech Line", there are usually two lines. If the booth did not give you one, get an "inspection sheet" from the guys at the front of the lines wearing radios and holding clipboards. It's also a good idea to pop the hood and start cooling your engine.

Fill out the form... you are expecting to run a 14-15sec 1/4 mile (unless you have run before and know your times, or have FI) Be careful about being too aggressive on your time expectations... you may be forced to have roll-bars, parachutes etc.. if you brag too much! Nobody runs faster in a G/Z than the low 13's, even with FI.

The Tech Guys will take your form, review it, ask you a couple of questions and then look at your engine. We'll be there with you, so no worries! Then they will write a number on your windshield and side window (so remember not to roll down your side window, or the # will be rubbed off)

Then we pull thru and turn right to hit the "pits". Actually it's just a large parking lot with about about 8 "lanes" (see map link below)

After first arriving at the pits we will cool the engines, eat our sack lunch and chill out. When the group (or individual) decides we want to make a run, you pull out form the pit and drive to either lane 5 or 6. The person next to you will be your competition. They will run the lanes 1-4 first (domestics) then drop the chains for us. Watch the guy dropping the chain to tell you when to load out. As you drive past the chain, Lane 5 stages to the far (left) side, while Lane 6 stages to the (right side). Watch & WAIT!! for the guys at the tree to instruct you when to move forward to the water box for a burnout/staging. If you do not have racing slicks, avoid the water box by driving around it....Don't do a burn out. This does nothing for your street tires.

Wait for your competition to burn out or prep to stage. As they pull up, roll slowly until the top "white" light of the tree lights, then creep forward to get the second light. When your neighbor stages, the tree will count down.
orange, orange, orange (GO!!) green ---> yes, you go on the last orange.

Run it all the way down the 1/4 mile to the red line painted on the ground.. if you see a white light off to your side, you won. If not, you probably "red lighted" at the tree, or you are looking at tailights of the competition.

there are two turnouts, if I am in the lead, I usually coast all the way to the second one.. I like to save my brakes. Otherwise, if I am in the right lane, i take the first turnout, and the second if in the left lane. Return is 20mph..exceed that and get booted from LACR!!! (it might even be slower... it's def 5mph in the pits!!)

driving the return, there is a little booth you stop at and they will give you your time slip... just stick your hand out the door and say thanks. Roll back slowly, and head for the pits... NEVER DRIVE THRU another group's pit area!! This is a huge bone of contention between the domestic locals and the "import kids" so let's not go there and be branded inconsiderate.

You can line up again, and wait...they will run all the lanes in order again and your car has time to cool during this. Or you can pit and relax for a while.

repeat as necessary!

Last edited by SoCalTed; 05-06-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:55 PM
SoCalTed

Default Break out & G/Z Trophy runs

So let's have a little fun this time around!!!

After everyone has had a little time to "dial-in" their car, meaning make runs and get an average time, the track announces the "break out" or trophy competition.

It is free to enter and starts around 7 or 730p. You take your average runs and determine what is the fastest / most consistent time you run and paint that on your passenger window. Then you line up in lane 7 or 8.

You might get pitted against a fully built / full dragster mustang or mopar, grandma's kia, or Uncle Jesse's pick up truck. You just never know.

What is "Break-Out" and/or "Red Light"?
Should a driver go quicker than his/her predetermined E.T. "dial-in" it is a "break-out", you lose the race and are eliminated.

In the case of both vehicles making their runs under their dial-ins, the win goes to the driver who breaks out the least.

Another form of disqualification is a foul start (or "red-light"). This happens when the driver reacts to the "Tree" too quickly and drives away from the starting line before the green "go" signal.

Should dual infractions occur, say a red-light and then a break-out, the red-light would be classified as the worst infraction.

You will know if you win or not when you get your time slip and it says "WIN" under your time.

If you WIN, you stage in lane 7 or 8 again. You keep running until you are eliminated. When it gets down to 2 cars, you are guaranteed a trophy...but will it be 1st or 2nd !! If you made it to the final round, congratulate the other driver and make your run. WIN = 1st place. Both drivers will need to go to the tower (thru the NO ENTRY gate) and pull hard on the door (it sticks). Walk up the stairs and shake the hands and thank the tower guys for the trophy.

======
For Friday May 13th...if there is enough interest, Team Transport will host a trophy run. You must sign up here first, and participate in the LACR Break Out event on Friday night. We will track our top 3 folks who do not "break out" or "red light" -- even though they may lose to another driver. The top 3 from our group will receive a trophy from Team Transport. We want to encourage folks to run against them "big daddies". You can win.. trust me!! It's all about consistency. You could walk away with two trophies next Friday!
Old 05-06-2005, 09:56 PM
SoCalTed

Drag racing at LACR Fri May 13th!

====cut and paste===
01. SoCalTed
Old 05-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Kraize05_Z

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I will be there .. At work a bunch of us are going so you will see me there
Old 05-07-2005, 08:12 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not superstitoius or anything but I try not to go out when Friday falls on the 13th day of the month. j/k, hahaha. have fun guys!
Old 05-09-2005, 06:03 AM
SoCalTed

Kraize05_Z

I'll probably be the only silver G35 sedan there, so look me up. Response from the G35driver board has been pathetic, but there are a few days left for folks to sign up. At least this board has some life in it!

Anyway, this is one of those events I don't mind going to by myself if folks don't show.

Cheers, Ted
Old 05-09-2005, 07:01 AM
Kraize05_Z

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool i will look for you when i am there. I am a silver Z
Old 05-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Nastyboy

I'll go too! I think I'll have my car back by then.

On a side note: I think the response on the other board is lame because now you need to be a "premier member" to even reply to any thread. Maybe other people are trying to sign up but cant.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:56 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

I'm definetly interested sometimes perhaps this week if I get enough work done. I use to participate in Pontiac Drag Days.

This is bracket racing right?

Bottom line is you don't need a lot of money or preparation to go. Great for guys with non Brembo Zs. It's about 30 minutes northeast of magic mountain.

Prepping would be remove spare tire and deflating rears. I have a tire pump for everyone to use BTW and there's a gas station 1 mile from it with 92 octane.

It's a great place to have a meet cause parking is ample and lines go quick. No cops and lots of trash talk is what it's all about.

Congrats Ted with the trophy.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:57 PM
SoCalTed

Nastyboy - you don't need to be a premier member on G35driver... same rules (and mgmt) as this site. I posted it in the open regional/socal forum. You just need to be registered.

Prepping....the run thru angeles crest burns off my excess fuel, bringing me down under a quarter tank. I usually empty the car of everything non-essential (armrest, glove compartment and trunk junk), dump the spare tire, etc.. I might even pull the back seat this time around.

PM me if you wanna take the Angeles Crest shortcut. I'll be sitting at Coral Rd. by ~4pm and wait 30m. I'll exchange cell #'s with anyone that PMs me.

Also, I just posted over on G35Driver that i am not going to bring the Transport trophies..as i needed 3 days to get them and i didn't see that much interest.

Hopefully those of us that who will be willin go to run the breakout (bracket) races and be happy with an LACR trophy if we're consistent and lucky!

I'll do the G/Z trophies the next time.

-T
Old 05-10-2005, 10:54 PM
FLZ_Boy

I know California Speedway is on the 14th and some Z drivers will be heading out there. Hence the lower than expected response for the LACR event.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:44 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i will probally make it there around 7 30 what time do they close at and whats the address?
Old 05-11-2005, 10:34 PM
SoCalTed

http://www.lacr.net/

LACR is located at 6850 East Avenue T, Palmdale, CA. (93550).

LACR is 45 minutes from the San Fernando Valley just off the Antelope Valley freeway on Palmdale's Eastside.
From Los Angeles take the 5 Frwy. North to the 14 Frwy. North (Antelope Valley Frwy.) get off at Pearblossom Hwy. take it til it crosses 138 it will turn into East Avenue T, LACR is one mile down Avenue T on the right hand side. LACR Information: (661) 533-2224

(PS.. again, I'll be at the Coral Rd. "pit stop" ~4pm and hang out for 30m. then I'm gonna head up the Angeles Crest for the shortcut to palmdale. PM me if you want me to wait for you. Map to Coral Rd is in the original post above)
Old 05-11-2005, 10:38 PM
mrtomcat

I'll have to wait another month till after the break in period but then it's back to the tracks...

I have to point something out though: your quote: "Nobody runs faster in a G/Z than the low 13's, even with FI"
lol!!! (not wanting to be mean but that was funny )

have you looked at the 1/4 listings? Z's with APS TT run average in the high 11's on stock engines (best on stock engine is 11.6)...build engines take you into the 10's...
just thought I clear that up.

For the newbies you will need a helmet if you're into the 13's which is pretty easy with a z if you have a few base mods' and know how to drive.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:12 PM
SoCalTed

LACR is 2710' above sea level, has a bit of an uphill to it, and averages 90-100 degrees during the summer (at 9pm). when the motorcycles are running, you get a constant cloud of sand on the track.

So ya, there are a few out there in the low 13's (I've never seen a 350z or G faster than that out there), but LACR is not the best track to floss your whip. But what are we gonna do while we wait for Cali to open their doors 2 to 3x a year (for 3 runs) ? At least there's only another 3-6 months before Drag City opens!

Cheers, Ted
Old 05-11-2005, 11:29 PM
mrtomcat

Irwindale...
I know it's only 1/8 mile but it's a damn good track and they are open every thursday.

What's Drag City? I've never heard of that, is someone actually opening a track instead of closing one?
Please do tell
Old 05-12-2005, 12:11 AM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

iwindale is better for me, im not going to be able to make it to palmdale too far
Old 05-12-2005, 12:47 AM
SoCalTed

I never mentioned anything about Irwindale....

Drag City is a fully sanctioned/NHRA drag strip that is being built in Banning (about 1 hour east of the SGV)

Length: 1/4mile drag strip
Altitude: 2,100 ft
Sanction: NHRA Division 7
Altitude Correction Factor: 2,100 ft (the same as THE STRIP in Las Vegas)

To convert your Quarter Mile Elapsed Time (ET) and MPH to sea level times, multiply the applicable factor by your ET or MPH.

ET = .9757 MPH = 1.0255

Expected completion: Fall 2005

more info: http://www.drag-city.com

cheers, ted
Old 05-12-2005, 10:21 AM
ZRAYGO

oh ****, im there.....fo sho...
Old 05-12-2005, 03:34 PM
FLZ_Boy

We need more lower altitude tracks in S. Cal.

Quick Reply: MAY13th: Fri Night Drag Racing at LACR (Z/G Trophy run!)