Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

12/17/05: Buttonwillow Performance Clinic

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I registered last week. so i'm golden. they say they wont charge the CC until Dec either.. so thats good too.

they rent helmets, right? i think my GF might want to go but she doesnt want to purchase a helmet just for this--
Old 09-24-2005, 08:33 AM
FLZ_Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chebosto
I registered last week. so i'm golden. they say they wont charge the CC until Dec either.. so thats good too.

they rent helmets, right? i think my GF might want to go but she doesnt want to purchase a helmet just for this--
The rented helmets are rather stinky and you have to wear a head sock. I think that'll convince her enough.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:46 PM
AznIceRckt

Originally Posted by Sr. Panza
+1 to wired's question about 19" wheels. I still have my old set.
At the track... it is really what you do on track... not what your car is doing off-track that counts. 19's really degrade the handling, esp braking (for me).

If you are going to mount stock rims, use street tires if this is your first track day. Don't want to kiss the pit-lane wall at Buttonwillow. In the future the wheels would be ideal for R-compounds.

Going with your current wheel/tire setup is also advisable since you are likely to have the most experience driving with that wheel/tire setup (unless you just recently bought wheels).
Old 09-24-2005, 12:57 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by SHO-TIME
Hey WA2GOOD, I don't think I've met you before (Have I?) Anyway, it's great to offer help/ advise. For myself and everyone on the board, could you briefly introduce yourself with your past track experiences? What would be your suggestions for first timers out at Buttonwillow? This will be my only 2nd time out there so I'm sure I can use a veterans advice. TIA.
Hello all, My name is Scott. Without going into great detail, I am a professional race car driver. I have also worked as an instructor for a few driving schools, done some product testing for tire manufacturers and other products. I have been racing since I was nine. I have a vast variety of experience on a wide range of race tracks and cars. As far as Buttonwillow is concerned in a 350Z (or G35) all I can say is to watch you're brakes. Those of you with FI, you will need a big brake upgrade, and even those of you who are relatively stock, you will have to be very carful with your brakes.

Buttonwillow is probably my favorite local roadcourse race track. It is pretty long, very technical, and high speed (in most configurations) Your 350Z's make decent track cars when they are modified. You guys will have fun and will learn alot.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:58 PM
AznIceRckt

Talking

Originally Posted by mikewagon
how many laps do you think i could get in on the stock non-brembos?
It depends how you manage your brakes. You can kill them in 1 lap, or save them for 20 laps, it is about pacing. You will not get more then 7-8 laps in buttonwillow in a 20 min session, esp if someone goes off track.

- Buttonwillow is quite a technical course. High speed as well, especially in counter-clockwise.

- Comparatively, finding the correct line at buttonwillow is much harder then willow springs int. Use the cones as your friend... and study a track map beforehand. The fastest way is usually utilizing the entire track width to minimize steering. Meaning... if you try to "attack" buttonwillow on your first day there, you likely will spin or go off track. Instead build up speed with each lap and session.

- Go spend the night before at the local motels. Buttonwillow is in BFE. They all have speedvision and only charge 40-45 a night. Waking up in the morning and driving that far (for most people) will take away from your concentration.

- Take blind corners slow at first, you simply cannot see over 'magic mountain' or the other blind turns. many people spin from oversteer or lift-throttle and end up in a big pile of mud or gravel. I had a student with speedventures oversteer his 540i through magic mountain... got sprayed with rocks/pebbles... helmet too.

- The S-turns are golden! This is my fav part of the track by far... so much fun, you can pretty much go straight through it if you setup the corner entry right.

- Braking zones at Buttonwillow are tough! In clockwise, the straights all end in a very sharp, 90 degree turns (or more for turn 1). This ends up KILLING the brakes since the Z builds up much speed, but cannot stop repeatedely without a fierce brake setup (or good pacing).

- If it is raining in december, buttonwillow is quite challenging and fun in the wet, except for the GIANT puddle that forms on the straight. You will actually get more experience out of a wet track day then a dry one (in my opinion).

- I drive for experience and not time. In over 5 trips to the nurburg I've never even timed myself their. Measure your performance by doing this: when you are in the exit of a turn, powering out, glance at the tach. Higher RPM = higher speed at the exit.

- Pit areas generally are not two-way. EVERYONE at buttonwillow drives both directions in the pit area... make me angry. It is a one way revolution for cars entering and exiting.

- There is unleaded sunoco at buttonwillow as well.
- Check tire pressures! and get all the crap out of your car! everything! even floormats. It is also really cheap insurance to change your oil before the track day, and after.
- Bring race tape if you like your car! You can go to a performance/racing shop and pay $15+ for a roll of blue masking tape, or you can go to home depot and get 3M blue painters tape for 2-3 bucks a roll. Diff colors too if you want to be snazzy. Our headlight covers are plastic, not glass, meaning a rock hitting shouldn't crack it. Nevertheless, cover your headlights and entire front-end of your car, fenders, mirrors. If you go off-track, and sometimes even if you don't, you will get rock chips. It saves tons of time taping up your car before you go to the track. I hate being busy at the track before driving.

- If you are bringing an auto, take it easy in 3rd gear all the way. Some corners would be faster with 2nd gear, but you will overheat the tranny quickly.

--- And lastly, don't get too confused by the "37MPH" speed limit sign on the entry way. 37mph? who knows. =60kph almost.

- Finally... more Z's at the track!

Last edited by AznIceRckt; 09-24-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:27 PM
AznIceRckt

Originally Posted by L337350
anyone have any input about something like this?

helmet

its snell and dot approved

- If you cannot afford good safety equipment, you cannot afford to go racing.
(not directed at you, but everyone really)

- Bell helmets can be found for good prices. Go to a race shop, find your size, and go order it online. You can get a bell for 250-300. It is a good investment. Driving gloves help too, esp if you are a sweaty-palm driver (a lot are)..

- If you have cats on your car, i believe the sunoco 103 unleaded should be find, but i would 1/2 1/2 that with 91 octane fuel, have a nice 95-96 octane blend. I've never even put leaded fuel in my car, and I don't have cats.

super autobacs was having a 40% off sale on sparco helmets/suits/gloves a couple months ago. my buddy picked up a close-face helmet for 500.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:31 PM
iris

Thanks for all this great info! Any race/helmet shops in LA that you recommend?

edit: I didn't know super auto bacs had a physical store as well; i see it's in stanton.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:15 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Simpson World. (Simpson Racing equipment. aka Super Voyager Helmets)
in Torrance..
http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/company/world.aspx

The Racer's Shop
(bell helmets, aka M4, M2pro, M3)
630 MARY ANN DR.
REDONDO BEACH, CA 90278
Phone: 800-965-7717

Sparco Racing
Sparco Motor Sports Inc.
1852 Kaiser Ave.
Irvine, CA 92614
No 1 in The WORLD
Tel. 800-224-RACE

or

SUBE' SPORTS
17161 PALMDALE ST
HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA 92647
Tel: (714) 847-1501
Old 09-26-2005, 07:37 AM
Sr. Panza

Thanks to both of you for the good info. I'm getting psych'd up already.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:51 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great info. Thanks tons.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:06 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

FYI: A bunch of my co-workers are going a group deal with simpson. there are four of my friends who want to buy the super voyager helmet from simpson.

if anyone is interested, they're getting like 15% off or something... they're going to buy in mid oct- if N E 1 is interested, please let me know so maybe there might be more discount available..

--Cheston
Old 09-30-2005, 09:39 AM
L337350

my friend and i will send in our registration today
Old 09-30-2005, 11:05 AM
nickgundara

Will a clear bra work ok? Or is it necessary to use masking tape to protect your car?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

yea i'd blue tape the nose over the clear bra- the extra 1/8" of tape will help it a bit more than normal...

headlights for sure, maybe side view mirrors if ur ****.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:52 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I definitly need to check into this...
Old 10-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

last chance on helmet grp buy today.

i need your helmet size and a phone number. PM me now..
Old 10-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Grp Buy Over! we saved 10% off the helmets... and i picked one up for my gf too. she has a small head!!!
Old 10-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm slightly confused about the deal with the tape.

So we are seriously supposed to put the painter's tape all over the front end of the car?

Is this because the rubble from off-track gets on the track from time to time, resulting in cars in front of us kicking rocks back at our cars?

So, the headlights are the most important thing to cover up, is that because of the higher possibility that they might crack compared to the front bumper or mirrors?
Old 10-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I'm slightly confused about the deal with the tape.

So we are seriously supposed to put the painter's tape all over the front end of the car?

Is this because the rubble from off-track gets on the track from time to time, resulting in cars in front of us kicking rocks back at our cars?

So, the headlights are the most important thing to cover up, is that because of the higher possibility that they might crack compared to the front bumper or mirrors?

you dont have to tape it up.. it's just a suggestion.

it's more so when following a car that's kicking up rocks? if the rock comes up and hits, say your head light, your headlight's gonna shatter and possibly put tiny shards of plastic/glass all over the raceway. if its taped up. chances are the headlight will just pit/implode and stay stuck together with the tape.

some people put tape up on the side view mirrors and all their leading edges to prevent scrapes from flying debris. its just like a temporary clear bra.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:20 PM
fahrenheit350

Cheston, thanks for picking up a helmet for me. I'll get ya lunch sometime.

Tape on the headlights also speeds up the process of cleaning up the track after an accident. Less debris equals less chance small shrapnel hits you or the car.

Quick Reply: 12/17/05: Buttonwillow Performance Clinic