Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

San Diego in January - Advice for hotels/things to do

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 12:56 AM
nismor33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default San Diego in January - Advice for hotels/things to do

Hi Everyone

I am flying into the US for an annual conference, last year we spent 3-4 days after the conference in San Fran and we decided this time to visit San Diego. I am trying to find out where to stay and what to do.

So......what would you suggest?

- Whats the best hotel to stay in close to the best nightlife, restaurants?

- Are there any really good clubs that play house music?

- Is Tijuana worth it?

- Whats the best sight seeing type things to do?

Thanks in advance. We had such a great time in SF, looking forward to San Diego.

Regards
Mike
Old 11-24-2005, 01:47 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok Mike, I'm a 24 year old guy who's graduated college so bare with my demograph here.

I've never had to stay in any hotels here in San Diego, but the nicer ones are in Downtown (Hyatt, Marriot,) next to the Convention center and Gaslamp Area. There are plenty of restaurants and clubs in that area. NOTE: Most places in Gaslamp (clubs) will not let you in with sports wear (jerseys, hats and tennis shoes)

If you're a little more casual then move on down to the Pacific Beach area. Lots of bars and restaurants but it's a tad rowdy and casual because the locals kick it there.

If you want some peace and quiet, the La Jolla area has some nice hotels but all the restaurants there on Prospect (street) are way fancy and overpriced. You're right next to a nice beach and some fancy shoppin, so it's a good place to be if you're with your wife.

"On Broadway" is one of the bigger clubs in Downtown San diego, on Broadway and Fifth I believe. They play house and electronica upstairs where all the go-go dancers are. Downstairs they play hip hop, and adjacent to that they have eighties or oldschool disco stuff. (no tennis shoes, or sports wear, clean and non-baggy jeans are ok)

- Is Tijuana worth it?
Only if you're not 21 and can't drink yet. If you like being around the non-21 college crowd and youngins, then TJ is not half bad. Alcohol is cheap down there so if you go with a big group it will be fun. Otherwise you'll get hassled alot down there, cab rides to the clubs, beggars stuff like that. Good shopping during the day time though. Park at the border, walk across and take a cab.

No clue....but popular places are:
Seaport Village
Sea World
Balboa Park
San Diego Zoo
Gas lamp Quarter
Horton Plaza (shopping mall)
just to name a few...
Old 11-24-2005, 02:05 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
Ok Mike, I'm a 24 year old guy who's graduated college so bare with my demograph here.

I've never had to stay in any hotels here in San Diego, but the nicer ones are in Downtown (Hyatt, Marriot,) next to the Convention center and Gaslamp Area. There are plenty of restaurants and clubs in that area. NOTE: Most places in Gaslamp (clubs) will not let you in with sports wear (jerseys, hats and tennis shoes)

If you're a little more casual then move on down to the Pacific Beach area. Lots of bars and restaurants but it's a tad rowdy and casual because the locals kick it there.

If you want some peace and quiet, the La Jolla area has some nice hotels but all the restaurants there on Prospect (street) are way fancy and overpriced. You're right next to a nice beach and some fancy shoppin, so it's a good place to be if you're with your wife.

"On Broadway" is one of the bigger clubs in Downtown San diego, on Broadway and Fifth I believe. They play house and electronica upstairs where all the go-go dancers are. Downstairs they play hip hop, and adjacent to that they have eighties or oldschool disco stuff. (no tennis shoes, or sports wear, clean and non-baggy jeans are ok)

- Is Tijuana worth it?
Only if you're not 21 and can't drink yet. If you like being around the non-21 college crowd and youngins, then TJ is not half bad. Alcohol is cheap down there so if you go with a big group it will be fun. Otherwise you'll get hassled alot down there, cab rides to the clubs, beggars stuff like that. Good shopping during the day time though. Park at the border, walk across and take a cab.

No clue....but popular places are:
Seaport Village
Sea World
Balboa Park
San Diego Zoo
Gas lamp Quarter
Horton Plaza (shopping mall)
just to name a few...

............+1...............Well put........pretty informative........
Old 11-24-2005, 10:59 PM
nismor33

Thanks so much for the response. Great info.

We have decided to stay in the Gas Lamp district looks really nice. We decided rather than go to TJ we will head up to LA and do a bit of looking around there.

Cheers
Mike
Old 11-25-2005, 05:10 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nismor33
Thanks so much for the response. Great info.

We have decided to stay in the Gas Lamp district looks really nice. We decided rather than go to TJ we will head up to LA and do a bit of looking around there.

Cheers
Mike
Nice choice on switching from TJ and going to LA. I usually like Santa Monica, Oldtown pasadena or Hollywood Sunset strip for the nightlife.

Be prepared for traffic in some parts of LA though, out-of-towners are not use to LA's notorious traffic.

Anyhow, welcome to San Diego and keep us updated on how your trip went. If you've got any other questions let me know.

tuan