Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Question for you guys/gals down south

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 09:45 PM
LaoSiFu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for you guys/gals down south

Hey guys, need some help/opinion/input… The woman and I planning a short trip (3 days/2nights) to San Diego near the end of the month. I can’t believe living in Southern California so long that I really never explore down there. I don’t know my geography down there so I really don’t want to go in blind. Here are some activities we’re into

-Hiking
-Picnic on the beach
-scenery
-landmarks
-she mentions there is a battleship down there so I think we want to check that out. Have anybody heard of that?
-any events coming up? Oyster tasting, parade, whale watching blah blah blah Z meets
-feel free to add some ideas

Also what is a centralize location or a great location I can book a hotel. Please don’t set me up in the ghettos . I appreciate everyone input/idea.

~Robert
Old 02-02-2006, 11:54 PM
krazydave2000

Smile

www.signonsandiego.com might help a little. there is too much too list. the battleship i believe is the midway and thats located san diego bay next to seaport village. on the edge of downtown san diego. its pretty kool. thats a recent addition to our wonderful city. make sure to check out the star of india which is 2nd oldest sailing boat in the world that still sets sail. looks like a pirate ship and it was built 1800's(its haunted so becareful). they do tours and stuff. they also got excursion boat rides. take u around the bay and show u some historical landmarks. its only 25 bucks per person. if u gonna do a pic nic on the beach. i think either la jolla cove or coronado would be nice. so much to do. i hope the website helps san diego is way more layed back then LA. and our air is cleaner, as well as the beaches

PS- its whale watching season. excursion boat tours is currently offering it. its an awesome experience to these huge mammals upclose

Last edited by krazydave2000; 02-02-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:01 AM
krazydave2000

this will make the whole whale watching easier
www.sdhe.com

lucky for u. harbor excursion terminal is about 100 yards from midway destroyer ship and midway is about 100 yards from the star of india
Old 02-03-2006, 12:24 PM
LaoSiFu

You're the man Dave. Any idea what area I should be staying around? I don't want to get a room that is miles away from these location. A nice one by the water would be nice unless you or any others can make any recommendation.
Old 02-03-2006, 12:24 PM
desiZ

i go to san diego all the time... la jolla & coronado island are my personal favorites
Old 02-03-2006, 12:26 PM
LaoSiFu

our air is clean. (breath for a moment and cough cough) yeah like I mention, our air is clean too
Old 02-03-2006, 12:44 PM
dye

If your in San Diego you NEED to visit Coronado. well you dont need to, but its very beautiful down there
Old 02-03-2006, 01:41 PM
LaoSiFu

Originally Posted by dye
If your in San Diego you NEED to visit Coronado. well you dont need to, but its very beautiful down there
I did a quick search on Coronado and I see that I can just drive there right taking a bridge. What beautiful sight can I see there or is it just beautiful?
Old 02-03-2006, 02:59 PM
desiZ

couple pics from mission bay beach & coronado i took last year...

Old 02-03-2006, 03:04 PM
desiZ

Originally Posted by LaoSiFu
I did a quick search on Coronado and I see that I can just drive there right taking a bridge. What beautiful sight can I see there or is it just beautiful?
The bridge drive is pretty cool cause its really high up...
on the island itself, its a lot of pretty houses and the beaches... nothing more except main street with a lot of shops etc...

if you're gonna splurge, stay at the coronado hotel (approx 250/night) ... old-style wooden interiors... pretty kewl...

some pics...

here's the website if you're interested:- http://www.hoteldel.com/
Old 02-03-2006, 10:51 PM
krazydave2000

hotel del is world renowned hotel. many former USA presidents have stayed there and bunch of movie stars. most people that live in coroanado island are retired military. im taking about admirals, generals,etc.... tiny 1300 SQ house probably would cost u around 800K. the coronado bridge leads u to downtown san diego were all this stuff is. YOU MUST VISIT BALBOA PARK its awesome. its just north of downtown(3 minutes) balboa park consist of many museums. globe theater. Prado restaurant. its hard to put into words but balboa park is plain beautiful. the botanical, japanese, and tropical gardens are something else

PS- hotel del is about 115 years old. maryln monroe used to kit it there

Last edited by krazydave2000; 02-03-2006 at 10:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:29 AM
bsp
Sponsor
Brainstorm Performance

I would check out the San Diego Zoo as well if you could squeeze it in your schedule. (if you guys are into animals at all)
Old 02-15-2006, 08:51 PM
LaoSiFu

Well I am coming down this Friday evening. I tried booking a room @ Cornando Hotel but no luck . Instead I book at Humphrey's Half Moon Inn & Suites. Doesn't look too bad but oh well, I only need the room for one thing anyway .

Here in Los Angeles, we have the Farmers Market. It is pretty much a market with different vendors and restaurant to eat. Is there anything like that in San Diego?

Any other suggestion on places I should check out? or a hiking trail?
Old 02-15-2006, 10:27 PM
imseksy

isnt the hotel del coronado haunted? like a specific room...?
Old 02-15-2006, 11:04 PM
krazydave2000

Originally Posted by imseksy
isnt the hotel del coronado haunted? like a specific room...?
the is couple rooms that are haunted. i just cant remember the numbers. one of them is were the chik shot herself in the head. story goes that when president at the time george bush senior stayed there one of his secret service agents got booked in that room and ran out in the middle of the night freaking out causing panic amongst presidents security team and shutting the hotel down for couple hours

humphreys is nice too. they got some nice jazz shows and very elegant restaurant. if u want farmers market u should go to OLD TOWN san diego. they got bunch of "old california" style shops and markets. plus many restaurants and bars
Old 02-16-2006, 12:06 AM
MAR ONER

San Diego itself is awesome. If you and the wife are still young and wild..go to Gas Lamp district, Coronado is beautiful true. That whole place is beautiful man. I almost moved there with my bro and would've been rent free, but some crap happened and now I can't...I'm pissed. I go there often, and can never get enough of La Jolla at sunset. Check out PB and the shops. If you feel like a little drive, just 45 min more south, cruise to Mexico and go to the beaches of Rosarito for a day. There's so much to do there man.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:55 PM
LaoSiFu

I am going to check out both old town and gas lamp district too. Thanks guys!!! sucks I just check the weather report and there is a chance for rain on Saturday.