Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Info needed: San Diego housing costs...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 01:35 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Info needed: San Diego housing costs...

Potential offer on the table for me at work to move to San Diego later this year. I've heard it's expensive, but upon perusing places to rent, it's cheaper than DC. Can anybody provide input as to what areas to avoid, costs to expect, and anything else that may guide me? I'm still "young", unmarried, without children, and prefer a sociable environment (no extreme suburbs please). Would prefer place to park truck, car, and trailer, but of course I can make accomodations otherwise. Any assistance is appreciated...
Old 04-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Depends on where in San Diego your work is going to be and how close you want to be to work. San Diego is a HUGE place.

I worked in San Diego (The City) and I lived in El Cajon/Santee. It is about a 15 minute drive, cost of living is a little lower and you are still centraly located to pretty much everything.

But as I said, it depends on where your work is and where you want to be. You can live in Del Mar, La Jolla, Chula Vista, etc.

Sorry if I am not much help, just need to know a little more to giv better information.

When I move back I am actually going to be living in the La Jolla area myself.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:13 PM
John

Unfortunately, I don't have enough details... being that that the primary client is the Navy, I assume I'll need to be close to downtown / Coronado.

Last edited by John; 04-30-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 02:18 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

ok, that actually narrows it down a bit.

You could look at the Chula Vista area which would be close to the Navy Bases and Downtown locations.

The problem with San Diego is every area has its good parts and its bad parts. It is very hard to distinguish between them sometimes when looking online since they can very from street to street.
Old 04-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Street Visionz, Inc.
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hm how is the Mira Mesa area? Safe?
Old 04-30-2006, 03:31 PM
GMZ

Hey! I would definately say take the offer. San Diego is the perfect place to live IMO. I can shed some light on this, as Ive been stationed in San Diego for the past 5 years. Its all coming to an end though transfering to Virginia Beach in 2 weeks. May I ask what kind of work you do? The main Navy area is 32nd st in National City/North Island in Coronado. But there is also bases on Point Loma, Imperial Beach, theres SPAWAR too by the airport. Anyhow I lived in El Cajon one time for about 9 months, cost of living is definately lower than other parts, more of a drive but there are some sweet deals to be had, this includes houses for purchase(dont know if you are just looking to rent). The area can be as USN HM said VERY different from street to street. I lived on the tip of S Anza and it was nice, but a few blocks down the road, I sped through there quick as can be. Ive lived in Coronado twice and Im getting ready to move form there now. I find it ideal. It may seem expensive but if you look in the local newpaper the "Coronado Eagle" theres always steals for rentals! I found 2 And its super super close to all the bases in the San Diego Bay area. A good thing Ive found too is Im always going the other way as the traffic Just a small thing I smile at when I go to work. Downtown is also convinient but is more pricey than most places. Also not really ideal if you have multiple vehicles as parking and storage space is limited. So Id say your best bet would be to look at the El Cajon/Santee area. Also there is Spring Valley/La Mesa that is a little bit closer than El Cajon but a little more money most of the time. And once you get out in these areas there is alot more opportunities for a big place like a house to rent for a reasonable amount. Chula Vista is also an area close by but I tend to stay away from there. All sorts of crazy traffic. I notice you said "Unmarried" Does that mean single too? If so, then maybe check out Mission Valley area you wont be dissapointed! Jeez Im rambling again. Thing is San Diego is such a huge area that I could go on all day, these places are just the ones I have lived and/or stayed at. Just check everywhere, and double or triple check a place if you are interested. Im all over the place these days so PM me if you need some info on a place, or even some photos, I could hook it up Hope this helps you out!
Old 04-30-2006, 05:09 PM
CAN0802

Must have more info on the job. Your business could be located in the northern part of the county, as my wife's is, and her company has a majority of the contracts for the military on their water sampling. That being said, don't assume the location, find out and get back to us. It would suck to move to Chula Vista and have to commute to north county every day.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:24 PM
Z BOY

i would recommend renting for awhile near your work, and explore while you're renting.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:36 AM
audiracer2002

Mira Mesa area is good. San Diego housing prices have come down a lot lately, which is unfortunate for me since I'm selling my condo right now in Mira Mesa.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:01 AM
John

Thanks for all the replies. I am meeting with one of my bosses tomorrow to discuss additional details. I imagine the work may down at SPAWAR, but it could be anything.

I'm actually going to be out in SD on business the last week of the month / beginning of June, so I'll be sure to cruise through some areas to get a better feel for the region.

Originally Posted by GMZ
May I ask what kind of work you do?
Business process / financial management consulting - exciting stuff...

Originally Posted by GMZ
I notice you said "Unmarried" Does that mean single too?
I'm not single - but we haven't discussed the option of her moving out there. I'm sure the issue will come up during dinner this evening...
Old 05-01-2006, 12:49 PM
JimRHIT

I just did this two years ago

I tried out Chula Vista .. not my thing.

Next up was Bay Park/Mission Bay .... nice .. but a little pricey.

My final resting place, before I got transferred up to LA was Point Loma. It was the perfect place for me .... safe area, clean streets and a good set of neighbors really made the place like home. Also, this area tend to be older construction for the most part ... so lots were a little larger and nicer.

My advice would be to rent for a while and find what you like
Old 05-01-2006, 03:44 PM
CAN0802

^+1 on Point Loma. Close to SPAWAR, and you wouldn't have to really fight traffic getting to work and home. Downtown isn't bad either, just depends on what you like doing for entertainment, and how you wind down in the evenings.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:09 PM
ANXIOUZ

San Diego is a terrible place to live. All of that sunshine, nice cool breezes, gorgeous women, and laid-back atmosphere. You'll hate it.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:14 PM
John

Did a little browsing this week out here... what do you all think of the Pacific Beach area? I was told by the locals there that the commute to downtown is about 25 minutes in the morning, which is more than reasonable. Plus it looked like I could tuck away my vehicles up there without too much pain...
Old 06-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

I really like the PB area. not far from downtown at all and there is so much to do there at night and the weekends. If the prices are right for you I would say that would be a good place to go. I am will be moving back the end of this year and I have been looking for a beach house in that area.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Cannysage

any city that's got 'beach' in it is beautiful. San Diego is gorgeous. Night and day with Los Angeles.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:26 PM
stereoneeds

dude go to san diego whatever the cost!
Old 06-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Z BOY

Originally Posted by John
Potential offer on the table for me at work to move to San Diego later this year. I've heard it's expensive, but upon perusing places to rent, it's cheaper than DC. Can anybody provide input as to what areas to avoid, costs to expect, and anything else that may guide me? I'm still "young", unmarried, without children, and prefer a sociable environment (no extreme suburbs please). Would prefer place to park truck, car, and trailer, but of course I can make accomodations otherwise. Any assistance is appreciated...
pb would be perfect for you, considering your situation.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:04 PM
John

Good to know... if all continues on its current track, it looks like I'll be out there in early September. I'm excited!
Old 06-01-2006, 09:12 PM
Boneout JZA80
Sponsor
Shine Auto Project

i grew up in Rancho Penasquitos towards the Northside really quiet suburb area but its really a nice place but im from LA now

Quick Reply: Info needed: San Diego housing costs...