Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Street Racing Measure Advances

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 06:15 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Street Racing Measure Advances

The Assembly Public Safety Committee recently approved Assembly Bill 2190 by a vote of 6-0. This legislation would increase penalties for illegal street racing and reckless driving.

Each year, hundreds of people are injured or killed by reckless drivers and illegal street racers. According to the California Department of Motor Vehicles, 7,640 drivers were convicted for engaging in a motor vehicle speed contest in 2005 alone (a 9% increase from 2004).

Currently, if a driver is engaged in illegal street racing and causes great bodily injury to another person, that driver can only be charged with a misdemeanor. Assembly Bill 2190 would correct this shortcoming in current law by allowing prosecutors to bring felony charges against these dangerous drivers. My bill would also ensure that illegal street racers responsible for another person’s death could be sentenced to as many as 10 years in state prison.

AB 2190 will next be considered by the Assembly Appropriations Committee.

AB 2190 is sponsored by the California District Attorneys Association and supported by the California State Sheriffs Association, Peace Officers Research Association of California, police departments of Riverside and San Diego, and the Riverside County Sheriff.
Be careful out there!
Old 05-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Open more tracks and people will race illegally a lot less.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:23 PM
sabrefanpc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this a preperation for ff3?

sure more tracks would help, but I doubt even that would "solve" the problem. street racing will be there no matter how many venues there are.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:25 PM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sabrefanpc
this a preperation for ff3?

sure more tracks would help, but I doubt even that would "solve" the problem. street racing will be there no matter how many venues there are.
Of course, but it allows people to get racing out of their system more. I know that when I go to track days and then drive on the street I am much more calm on the throttle because as a driver I realize that driving fast on the street is no where near as fun
Old 05-05-2006, 06:37 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I Garantee we will eventually have 80mph limiters and GPS tracking in all cars mandated by law one day.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:07 PM
imseksy

Originally Posted by sq40
I Garantee we will eventually have 80mph limiters and GPS tracking in all cars mandated by law one day.
ha! people will just find a way to go around those limiters. theres always a way
Old 05-05-2006, 07:41 PM
FLZ_Boy

I find the bill kinda flawed:

Only hundreds are killed by reckless and illegal street racers. So that means less than a 100 are killed by illegal street racing? Reckless driving may not necessarily mean they were racing. Therefore, I find it kinda lame to make illegal street racing a bigger issue than it is.

The state now wants to up the charges from mistermeanie to a felony. I would suspect that most of these illegal street racing are people under the age of 30 (of course, older people street race too.) Now, wouldn't we have alot of kids & young adults being convicted of a crime (if not more teenie boopers)?

What bothers me the most is legislature still wasting there time on stupid issues when there are more serious ones on hand. I understand street racing is illegal and the penalties are a mistermanie and getting your car impounded/crushed. Now, don't you think the same crap should be applied to drunk driving? California talks tough, but can't get their act together in legislature (too much insterest in trying to get a vote versus the benefit of society).

Vote for me for govenor.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:21 AM
CAN0802

Originally Posted by sq40
As long as the ACLU is out there, we'll never have this problem.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:26 AM
liudacris

what counties is this valid in? I notice the quote in the OP only mentions SD and Riverside...so...is it only in those counties?
Old 05-07-2006, 05:17 PM
mrtomcat

I agree with Rickdog, more tracks need to be opened and even though it won't completely solve the problem it will help tremendously.

I drive WAY saver when I go to the track on a regular basis because I simply get it out of my system.

There are people that get out of jail for rape and murder after 3 years so this bill is beyond overkill

First go after the big crimes and make our cities safer and then go after the lower ones. Street racing even though a problem is so low on the list it shouldn't even be discused at this point
Old 05-07-2006, 05:20 PM
six3mike

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
Of course, but it allows people to get racing out of their system more. I know that when I go to track days and then drive on the street I am much more calm on the throttle because as a driver I realize that driving fast on the street is no where near as fun

I agree. Ever since I started doing track days I've slowed down on the road.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:04 PM
josephchihweilu

i definitely agree with rick that they need to open up more tracks...i know for a fact i would start driving like a grandma on public roads
Old 05-07-2006, 08:09 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
Open more tracks and people will race illegally a lot less.

You are damn right Rick!!!

If there was a local & accessible road course & a track open more often, street racing would surely subside dramatically!

The govt makes it hard to open these venues!

Until then ill keep hitting twisties & highways!
Old 05-07-2006, 08:11 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Originally Posted by mrtomcat

There are people that get out of jail for rape and murder after 3 years so this bill is beyond overkill

First go after the big crimes and make our cities safer and then go after the lower ones. Street racing even though a problem is so low on the list it shouldn't even be discused at this point
+1
Ohio although not as bad as Cali, required 1 day in jail for a Street Racing ticket!
Old 05-07-2006, 08:17 PM
deluzrider

more tracks would help me for sure but a lot of people jus dont wanna fork out the money to go.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:29 PM
punish_her

Us here on Oahu are tensing for the new out come. The Only track on island closed a little over a month ago. The track here had bike sessions, drift sessions, super lap series, and a drag strip.

Street racing has already started to rise, or from what I've seen. I hear on the next valley over drifting all the time at night and a guy was put in the hospitle after crashing at 100+ on a sport bike while racing.

Im just waiting for the back lash of FF3. All the little honda kids are zipping in and out of traffic and reving up on any thing that moves. It p!sses me off. I feal for you guys over there but at least you got some long twisties out in the middle of know where.