Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

First Ticket. Need advice please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 10:56 PM
SteveZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver350Z
A highway patrol officer pulled me over and said the plane got me going 100.

Do the planes or helicopters take videos or use radar?

I heard planes track the time it takes to get from point to point.
In most states it is just from point to point, time over distance using road side markers. I've never heard of planes using anything else, except observation that you're fast relative to the rest of traffic to alert a cop up the road to paint you with "instant-on" (old term) Ka band radar or laser.

Hard to fight unless splitting hairs (like 80 vs. 85, there is some potential for human error in the timing from the plane).
Old 06-10-2006, 10:59 PM
highside107

Originally Posted by Everybodywildou
Plead for unsafe driving. No points in that. Pay that instead. Should be cheaper on insurance anyhow.
Unsafe driving? You sure there's no points for that? (just asking)
Old 06-10-2006, 11:12 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

you should feel lucky cuz (car being a weapon) the new law is that if you go above 100+ is considered suicde, or dangerment to public or something like that, which you could of gotten jail time with car towed. you were speeding there is no way out just face it. go to driving class so you wont get a point thats all you could do.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:41 PM
Ruth

Originally Posted by Driver350Z
OK guys I need some advice. I got my first ticket. And its a bad one.

I got caught by a plane doing 100 in a 70.
I have to go to court in Victorville.

So let me know if theres anything I need to do or how bad this is gonna be.

My record is spotless and Im 24.
A reliable source(ex-CHP dispatcher)Informs me,you probably were filmed.Everything is calibratered.They are traffic cops.First offence,traffic school.You can fight it,but 99% chance of losing.FYI,never,never,plead no contest to any charge-you'll get **** fisted fingernails first.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:18 AM
415mm
Professional

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

thats actually something they told me in traffic school. lol
got busted for speedn just like this thread but not goin 100.
they also told me that the fine is based on how much over the speed limit you were driving. i got busted doin 70 in a 55 (bay bridge) and i paid 400 + a few hours of my life for the fine and traffic school. $700= oouucchh.
Originally Posted by VN_350z
who told you about license suspended for going over 90 mph?
my brother in law got caught at 95 mph....$700 dollar tickets...that's all
Old 06-11-2006, 05:04 AM
Everybodywildou

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The unsafe driving thing is kind of like a get out of jail free card. Of course it turned my 85 dollar ticket to a 420 dollar one. But Like I said, no points.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Driver350Z

Dont get me wrong. Im not trying to get out of this clean and clear.
I just want to make it as minimal as possible (mainly on my insurance).
Old 06-11-2006, 07:46 AM
=BANKS=
Penis ME!

Damn same thing happened to me back in feb. coming back home from tahoe somewhere around bishop/apple valley. I got pulled over by a chp coming from the opposite side of me!! he busted a quick ***** and said the plane radar or some shyt had been trackin me for a while going 90 but lessened it to 85. Bastards my ticket was only like $150 tho. It just depends where you get pulled over.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:59 AM
spencer_lea
Banned

i got 56/35. ended up costing 400 plus hours of my time. getting a lawyer is always a smarter move than trying to at it alone. the law in NC is anything over 20mph is subject to losing youre license. g/l and hopefully it works out in your favor...oh when/if you talk to your lawyer (hopefully soon) he'll be able to tell you if you could take the "driving course" if so try to take it before your court date. it'll show them that youre serious about the offense and want to do everything to show youre a "responsible" driver

Last edited by spencer_lea; 06-11-2006 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-11-2006, 12:07 PM
highside107

Originally Posted by Ruth
A reliable source(ex-CHP dispatcher)Informs me,you probably were filmed.Everything is calibratered.They are traffic cops.First offence,traffic school.You can fight it,but 99% chance of losing.FYI,never,never,plead no contest to any charge-you'll get **** fisted fingernails first.
Really? (about never pleading no contest) So if I want to show up to court instead of posting bail and hoping the fine will be 50% less than the bail amount I should plead guilty then? (I don't intend on fighting it)
Old 06-11-2006, 01:19 PM
buffmanjeff

my sister got caught doing 112 in a 70, license suspended for 6 months, 900 dollars in fines. In so cal off 71 freeway. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Ruth

Originally Posted by highside107
Really? (about never pleading no contest) So if I want to show up to court instead of posting bail and hoping the fine will be 50% less than the bail amount I should plead guilty then? (I don't intend on fighting it)
No contest-the results can be worse than pleading guilty,its like saying, "I don't care, do what you want".If you had 4 charges against you,well you just got all 4 charges.Where as if you plead guilty you get only 3out of the 4.Now you going to court-I can't say plead guilty, or not.But going into court can make it less.A lot depends on who is the judge,is this the first offence.Be polite,if you have a suit, wear it (don't go in jeans).I'm not saying you do,but do not lie-they will catch it.Hope I helped.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:36 PM
zpwnzu

Correct me if im wrong, but they cannot cite you based off of a planes observance. it has to be clocked by somone on the ground for the ticket to hold. it was some loophole, they simple use planes/chopper to inform those on the ground who to go after. They classified using planes to catch speed as illegal based on either "speed trap" laws or entrapment if im not misten.

http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/ca-speed.html

I believe its explained in the 3rd paragraph.

Last edited by zpwnzu; 06-11-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Ruth

The CHP plane spots the vehicle, clocks the speed and radios to the unit on the ground the color, make, model of the vehicle, which lane it is in and what offramp the vehicle is coming to. The unit on the ground acts as the hands of the plane, it will wait for the vehicle, either at the offramp or on an on ramp. The unit on the ground is in constant contact with the pilot. The ground unit will then stop the vehicle and cite the driver. If you go to court the pilot will show up with the correct documentation and your chances of winning that case is slim. The planes are calibrated as are the units on the ground. Just pay the ticket, go to traffic school and slow down. It isn't pretty when you wreck at 100 mph.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:51 PM
zpwnzu

It very clearly states above that the chances of a case like this being thrown out in court are very high however. There is no direct clocking of the vehicle from the plane from solid, proven numbers. Guestimating the distance and time of a vehicle on the ground from the air is far from accurate. Only way they can get you is if the unit on the ground clocks your speed. I say take it to court.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:19 PM
Ruth

Originally Posted by Ruth
The CHP plane spots the vehicle, clocks the speed and radios to the unit on the ground the color, make, model of the vehicle, which lane it is in and what offramp the vehicle is coming to. The unit on the ground acts as the hands of the plane, it will wait for the vehicle, either at the offramp or on an on ramp. The unit on the ground is in constant contact with the pilot. The ground unit will then stop the vehicle and cite the driver. If you go to court the pilot will show up with the correct documentation and your chances of winning that case is slim. The planes are calibrated as are the units on the ground. Just pay the ticket, go to traffic school and slow down. It isn't pretty when you wreck at 100 mph.
The above info.provided by a active,employed,talked to her while on duty,CHP dispatcher.According to her, the planes have radar .Your correct point A to B,can't be used.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:37 AM
zpwnzu

“Contrary to popular belief, we don’t time speeders between known points on the ground,” Texiera explains. “The courts have ruled that that’s illegal because it represents a speed trap. Instead, we must match speed exactly with a speeder and time ourselves between those two points."

http://www.pilotjournal.com/content/...une/chips.html

That is from a recent article. They do not state radar is used from the air, and lets be realistic, the altitude they fly at does not allow for that kind of range. The quote above also restates what i said above, however now they say they "pace" the vehicle in the air. This is not gonna hold up in court either however. Unless they are side by side with the car, there is no way the number they come up with is as accurate as a radar reading or pacing a car on the ground.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:20 AM
Ruth

Originally Posted by zpwnzu
“Contrary to popular belief, we don’t time speeders between known points on the ground,” Texiera explains. “The courts have ruled that that’s illegal because it represents a speed trap. Instead, we must match speed exactly with a speeder and time ourselves between those two points."

That is from a recent article. They do not state radar is used from the air, and lets be realistic, the altitude they fly at does not allow for that kind of range. The quote above also restates what i said above, however now they say they "pace" the vehicle in the air. This is not gonna hold up in court either however. Unless they are side by side with the car, there is no way the number they come up with is as accurate as a radar reading or pacing a car on the ground.
ARE YOU AN ATTORNEY? ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT BACKGROUND?

Last edited by Ruth; 06-13-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:38 AM
RNL323
Mod My Ride

I got a ticket for 100+ exactly 2 years ago...

On my court date I was 50/50 on whether I was going to fight it or not. Then I met the Judge. He was pretty straight up and said there are only 2 reasons why he would dismiss going over 100mph. The first would be that you were being chased by someone with a gun that was shooting at you OR 2, your wife or girlfriend is about to give birth. If you don't have a reason remotely close to those, then you're wasting your time with me.

Since my record was spotless and the ticket was 10am on a Sunday (minimal traffic), he gave me the minimum fine which was $600ish, 1 month suspension and 2pts... My insurance didn't jump that much because I switched insurance policy to progressive. AAA jacked it up to some crazy amount...

My advice would be to go the lawyer route if you can find a loop hole since you got tagged with the plane, not the gun. Otherwise, just eat it and move on/take responsibility for your action. All judges are different. When I was speaking to him he mentioned he liked the new Z but advised me to take it to the track!

good luck..
Old 06-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Ruth

Originally Posted by zpwnzu

(Lets be realistic,the altitude)-WERE NOT TALIKNG U2 flights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Ruth; 06-13-2006 at 10:20 PM.

Quick Reply: First Ticket. Need advice please help!!!