Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

First Ticket. Need advice please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Driver350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Ticket. Need advice please help!!!

OK guys I need some advice. I got my first ticket. And its a bad one.

I got caught by a plane doing 100 in a 70.
I have to go to court in Victorville.

So let me know if theres anything I need to do or how bad this is gonna be.

My record is spotless and Im 24.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a lawyer. It may cost more for the lawyer, but it will cost less (insurance wise) in the long run.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:12 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And volunteer to go to the 1 day class, the $$ spent to go will keep out the insurane issue.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:14 PM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take the 1 day class that will/should be offered - it keeps the insurance out of it and the $$ for the class is worth doing it.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Driver350Z

So getting a lawyer is my only option?
Old 06-10-2006, 08:37 PM
415mm
Professional

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you are going to need some professional help. if they have real pics and radar of you going over 90 its an automatic license suspension. or so i've been told.
just wondering how did you get the ticket??
Old 06-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Driver350Z

A highway patrol officer pulled me over and said the plane got me going 100.

Do the planes or helicopters take videos or use radar?

I heard planes track the time it takes to get from point to point.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Planes track your time from point a to point b. (AKA those big white lines on the right side of the Freeway)

I have had quite a few tickets in my day, but I have none on my record. I have become quite proficiant at getting them dismissed. Since you are not wise to the inner workings of this (Being your first ticket and all) I would strongly suggest getting a lawyer.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:53 PM
VN_350z
Banned

Originally Posted by 415mm
you are going to need some professional help. if they have real pics and radar of you going over 90 its an automatic license suspension. or so i've been told.
just wondering how did you get the ticket??
who told you about license suspended for going over 90 mph?
my brother in law got caught at 95 mph....$700 dollar tickets...that's all
Old 06-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Driver350Z

I have two months until my court date, so I have time to figure out what to do.

Looks like getting a lawyer is my best option.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

since you have time, there are also books on how to get out of tickets (most written by lawyers). You might want to get one and read up a little.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:13 PM
VN_350z
Banned

Originally Posted by Driver350Z

Thanks for the help.
Getting a lawyer is a waste of money.
They'll mail you a ticket. You show up for court and you probly pay half the amount of the ticket. Remember amount on the ticket is the bail amount..not the actual fine.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:29 PM
highside107

Originally Posted by VN_350z
Getting a lawyer is a waste of money.
They'll mail you a ticket. You show up for court and you probly pay half the amount of the ticket. Remember amount on the ticket is the bail amount..not the actual fine.
I've heard that you should always show up for court as well and plead guilty or no contest (if you're not going to fight it) and usually your fine is reduced greatly. Is this true? I just got a ticket in the Bay Area for an unsafe lane change; bail amount is $144 or so. Would you advise me showing up to court and pleading no contest in hopes that my fine would be reduced?
Old 06-10-2006, 09:37 PM
VN_350z
Banned

Originally Posted by highside107
I've heard that you should always show up for court as well and plead guilty or no contest (if you're not going to fight it) and usually your fine is reduced greatly. Is this true? I just got a ticket in the Bay Area for an unsafe lane change; bail amount is $144 or so. Would you advise me showing up to court and pleading no contest in hopes that my fine would be reduced?
Yes, this is always the case. Fine amount is usually 50 to 60% of bail amount.
People usually paid bail amount because either they dont know or they are too busy to show up for court. It doesn't take that long anyways, 30 min.
Just plead no contest, then the judge would tell you the fine amount.
Good luck.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:06 PM
Black_Sunshine

http://www.ticketassassin.com/
Old 06-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Everybodywildou

Plead for unsafe driving. No points in that. Pay that instead. Should be cheaper on insurance anyhow.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:12 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Nvm

Last edited by charlie_rdstr_Z; 06-10-2006 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:14 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

From what I understand planes cannot give you tickets unless the law has changed. I hope it has not. They can however warn a CHP on a bike or car and nab you if they did find out you were speeding at the time they caught up with you.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:49 PM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by Driver350Z

Thanks for the help.
Get a lawyer if and only if you intend to contest the ticket. This is only worth it if a) you really want to test the system, or b) your record svcks and you cannot take the hit of the ticket at any price. Age matters here; I managed to avoid any tickets for 20 years, so I just went to court.

If your record is pretty clean, just show up for your court date, talk it out with the judge. Before you go, make sure you look up the exact statute you're accused of violating.

I had a 100 mph experience in CT - we don't have points anymore, just the real bi*th that 20 over plus on any state (not interstate) highway is automatic reckless driving, mandatory court date. From 65-75 it's just "speeding" and that is how it shows up on your record. From 75+ to 85 the $$$ here go up but still speeding.

The State Trooper wrote it up for 90mph, he had me with laser on a long slight upgrade with light to no traffic early in the AM driving down to NYC. Pulled right over, gave him the papers, said nothing. Asked me if I knew how fast I was going, said "no". Never cop to "yes, I was going 10 over" or you have just stated you were speeding, now kind of like another profession, you are convicted, it's just a matter of price. What you do when you are pulled over has more bearing on what you end up with than anything other than your record - you are already going to get a ticket, just shut up and make things easy for the trooper.

I ended up with not a $1000 fine, but paid $200 after waiting all morning to see the judge, no contest, all that shows for insurance is speeding just like a 66-75 mph ticket.

Planes and other time/distance really are tough, there is not much you can challenge - it's markers and time, no real equipment. With radar and laser you can check if there have been issues with calibration or what the rep is of the unit the cop comes from. Just my luck all the units had been recently calibrated and certified. No chance...not in CT anyway. Laser "warning" basically tells you to get ready to pull over unless you are in dense traffic, in which case WTF would you be doing 90-100 mph anyway.

Like the State Trooper from the same unit said to my bud, "slow down", there is no magic formula like "10-15 over is cool", that really depends on the cop, don't try that BS about the cop not showing up in court, either decide to fight it, get legal representation, or pretty much show up with cash and let the judge do what they will...

You're just damn lucky 100 was it, they have NO sense of humor about 120-140+ mph even on an empty interstate, 100 mph is the limit of what I've personally still driven away from, albeit with a court summons in hand.

Oh, and if you have to go to court with or w/o a lawyer, get there early and don't be the 99th person the judge deals with - and just be happy you're driving a car that does 100 mph w/o even trying hard, find somewhere where you can join a club and do fast laps at a track, the public roads are like throwing the dice - just a matter of time before you get whacked, no matter what you do...it will catch up to you, even if it takes 20 years like in my case. I avoided a lot of potential tickets, passed on many warnings just by always having all my paperwork up to date and insurance card in the car current, and never, ever, giving a cop any grief. Honestly, I was pulled over at least 8-10 times during that span w/o getting a ticket, or just getting written or verbal warning.

I still use a decent radar detector because the really crappy tickets around my area are the back roads where posted is 35 or 40 and 20 over is a real problem, the cops just use Ka band and scoop people up easily. On the wide open interstates, you are just a snack for some Stater waiting to happen. I've even had town cops paint me in both the Z and the G just pulling away from a stoplight, well before I even got up to speed - the car must just be telling them "he must be speeding with a ride like that"...
Old 06-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Driver350Z

So I would have to be speeding when the CHP saw me not the plane?

Because the officer said that the plane clocked me going 100 not him.

Quick Reply: First Ticket. Need advice please help!!!