Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

First Ticket. Need advice please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Ruth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zpwnzu
“Contrary to popular belief, we don’t time speeders between known points on the ground,” Texiera explains. “The courts have ruled that that’s illegal because it represents a speed trap. Instead, we must match speed exactly with a speeder and time ourselves between those two points."

http://www.pilotjournal.com/content/...une/chips.html

That is from a recent article. They do not state radar is used from the air, and lets be realistic, the altitude they fly at does not allow for that kind of range. The quote above also restates what i said above, however now they say they "pace" the vehicle in the air. This is not gonna hold up in court either however. Unless they are side by side with the car, there is no way the number they come up with is as accurate as a radar reading or pacing a car on the ground.
"Pace" the vehicle-not gonna hold up in court-They wouldn't be doing it if it didn't hold up in court.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:06 AM
zpwnzu

Ruth, quit messaging me. You dont like what i say, fine. Go read up on it yourself. Tickets given based on airplanes do not hold up in court. You dont need to be an attorney or law enforcement agent to search and find real world stories in California. Dont respond if you dont have constructive things to say. If all you are gonna do is call me out on the logistics of my reasoning, you must be pretty young and immature.

Now if you want justification for my posts, read on:
No, i'm not an attorney or law enforcement officer. I have taken enough law courses as an undergrad however to have a basic foundation of the law and simply by searching, you can find plenty of cases where they WILL NOT hold up in court.

Secondly and thirdly, radar used at that altitude would not b accurate based off of the typical CHP style radar gun. They only have a limited range. The Planes are flying 3000+ feet in the air. At that range, a radar gun would be picking up 10+ cars on the ground and thus, there is no way a cop could be sure of the speeding cars EXACT speed. And in terms of pacing, my father has had his private pilots license and flew planes very similar to the Cessna's used by the CHP. All in all, it is EXTREMELY difficult to match speeds of vehicles on the ground due to the factors of altitude as well as wind speed and direction. Pacing will not yield an exact number. A guesstimate will not hold up in court. A cop cannot come in and say I think he was going around 100 mph.

Here is more evidence to strengthen my points:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=116285

Last edited by zpwnzu; 06-14-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Ruth

Originally Posted by zpwnzu
Ruth, quit messaging me. You dont like what i say, fine. Go read up on it yourself. Tickets given based on airplanes do not hold up in court. You dont need to be an attorney or law enforcement agent to search and find real world stories in California. Dont respond if you dont have constructive things to say. If all you are gonna do is call me out on the logistics of my reasoning, you must be pretty young and immature.

Now if you want justification for my posts, read on:
No, i'm not an attorney or law enforcement officer. I have taken enough law courses as an undergrad however to have a basic foundation of the law and simply by searching, you can find plenty of cases where they WILL NOT hold up in court.

Secondly and thirdly, radar used at that altitude would not b accurate based off of the typical CHP style radar gun. They only have a limited range. The Planes are flying 3000+ feet in the air. At that range, a radar gun would be picking up 10+ cars on the ground and thus, there is no way a cop could be sure of the speeding cars EXACT speed. And in terms of pacing, my father has had his private pilots license and flew planes very similar to the Cessna's used by the CHP. All in all, it is EXTREMELY difficult to match speeds of vehicles on the ground due to the factors of altitude as well as wind speed and direction. Pacing will not yield an exact number. A guesstimate will not hold up in court. A cop cannot come in and say I think he was going around 100 mph.

Here is more evidence to strengthen my points:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=116285
TAKE YOUR EVIDENCE and STICK IT!!!HE LOST,HE LOST,HE LOST.Mr.Snob,Know it All...HE LOST,YOU WERE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WRONG,WRONG,WRONG,WRONG,WRONG,bite me--eat me YOU LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ico n18:

Last edited by Ruth; 08-15-2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:38 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by RNL323
I got a ticket for 100+ exactly 2 years ago...

On my court date I was 50/50 on whether I was going to fight it or not. Then I met the Judge. He was pretty straight up and said there are only 2 reasons why he would dismiss going over 100mph. The first would be that you were being chased by someone with a gun that was shooting at you OR 2, your wife or girlfriend is about to give birth. If you don't have a reason remotely close to those, then you're wasting your time with me.

...All judges are different. When I was speaking to him he mentioned he liked the new Z but advised me to take it to the track!

good luck..
As I said earlier:
"You're just damn lucky "only" 100 was it, they have NO sense of humor about 120-140+ mph even on an empty interstate, 100 mph is the limit of what I've personally still driven away from, albeit with a court summons in hand."

Love the Judge's reasoning - two reasons, LOL!

Strangely enough there seems to be some mental association with 120+ being much worse than 90-100mph, even though in CT the charges are the same - over 90 is Reckless Driving. Judge essentially slapped my hand with a $200 fine and nothing else for 100, reduced the offense. I don't think I would have gotten the same treatment for 120+.

Now if I could just find some really reliable anti-Laser (and legal) detection - towns in my area (not State Police!) are getting laser - suburban/rural town police departments with Ka are no real threat, but laser is another story. The State of CT recently issued plates with high reflective surfaces and manadated front plates on new vehicles, a bad combination for laser avoidance.

Good advice. Track is where the real run is; only place I ever actually felt the entire chassis twist loading it up in a downhill RH corner at 85-90 mph. NOW that was much more fun than any straight line speed on public roads!
Old 08-16-2006, 07:08 AM
ANXIOUZ

Oregon recently passed a law that if you're caught going over 100mph then the minimum fines you have to pay is like $1k and your license gets suspended for like 3-4 months. That's the minimum.

Given the speeds we're talking about, I would def get a lawyer or at least go talk to one. This isn't a small "60 in a 50" we're talking about. 100 is a magical number. lol
Old 08-16-2006, 07:45 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by maximXL
Oregon recently passed a law that if you're caught going over 100mph then the minimum fines you have to pay is like $1k and your license gets suspended for like 3-4 months. That's the minimum.

Given the speeds we're talking about, I would def get a lawyer or at least go talk to one. This isn't a small "60 in a 50" we're talking about. 100 is a magical number. lol
You're kidding. I spent 20 years growing up in OR, what kind of Aliens have abducted the State Gov? First car I hit 120+ in was the family station wagon (429 ford quad-barrel V8). That is SAD. What kind of idiots voted for that??? Out there take your car, you are taking their job. Punishment does not fit the crime.

Now mandatory suspension and fines for confirmed DUI, I could understand. When I lived in Sweden it was multiple years first offense and jail time - so funny thing, people just don't do it and go killing each other off driving drunk.

But there are so many remote places where 100 mph is a breeze - they aren't that rude in CT, where the entire state is about 1 hour North to South and has very few truly open roads where you have line of sight and lack of traffic to carry some speed.

You can never go home again
Old 08-16-2006, 07:50 AM
ANXIOUZ

Yeah, the OR law went into effect this summer and on the first day they busted some dude on the evening news. Homeboy cruising in his Accord got nailed by the cop doing over 100mph. The in-car cam was played and everything. To make matters worse, I think he had a warrant out on him or expired tags or something. lol
Old 08-16-2006, 08:15 AM
s2kphil

i just got tagged for 96 in 65 but the cop only gave me this violation code

Maximum Speed Limit

22349. (a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.

i believe that the judge only sees the code not the actual ticket so he wont know how fast i was going. did you check the code the cop gave you.

i dont think the amount has to do with your exact speed only the code 66 is the same as 85, you get the same code until you hit 100+ where you get the over 100 code correct (california)
Old 08-16-2006, 09:20 AM
SteveZ

Wink

Originally Posted by s2kphil
i just got tagged for 96 in 65 but the cop only gave me this violation code

Maximum Speed Limit

22349. (a) Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.

i believe that the judge only sees the code not the actual ticket so he wont know how fast i was going. did you check the code the cop gave you.

i dont think the amount has to do with your exact speed only the code 66 is the same as 85, you get the same code until you hit 100+ where you get the over 100 code correct (california)
Yes, I checked the code first thing when I got home because it was RUDE:

Reckless Driving
A person who drives his vehicle greater than 85 m. p. h. commits the crime of reckless driving (CGS § 14-222). Reckless driving is a crime. By law, any person convicted of reckless driving is subject to a $ 100 to $ 300 fine, up to 30 days imprisonment, or both for the first offense and up to a $ 600 fine, up to one year imprisonment, or both for each subsequent offense (CGS § 14-222).

(Note "crime" - not infraction or violation. CT also recently added >20 mph over = automatic court appearance for anywhere). The fines are a lot higher because of half a dozen surcharges added to the "violation" fine means more like double those numbers plus.

After court all that went on my record was a different code:
Speeding
A person who drives his vehicle 56 thru 70 miles per hour (m. p. h. ) on a multiple lane, limited access highway or 56 thru 60 m. p. h. on all other highways commits a speeding infraction, except truck drivers, who commit a speeding violation. A person who drives at a rate of speed that endangers a vehicle occupant’s life commits a speeding violation. A person who drives 71 thru 85 m. p. h. on a multiple lane, limited access highway or 60 to 85 m. p. h. on all other highways commits a speeding violation (CGS § 14-219).

My personal fav:
Traveling Unreasonably Fast
A person travels unreasonably fast when he operates his vehicle at a greater rate of speed than is reasonable without speeding, as defined below (CGS § 14-218a).

Now that sounds pretty hard to believe, but about about 15,000 tickets were issued last year in CT for the last one (compared to about 75,000 speeding, and 1700 reckless). That one leaves a lot to Officer's discretion, plus of course you can win more than one award at the same time