Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

San Diego Run - Highland Valley/Santa Ysabel/Palomar

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 07:25 AM
ganz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default March 8th, San Diego Run - Highland Valley/Santa Ysabel/Palomar

San Diego Z Owners: I'm getting the itch to drive the twisties again. I'm hoping for early March either 1st or 2nd, or 8th or 9th. The route goes as follows -

Starting off Pomerado exit at the I15 -> Highland Valley Rd -> Old Julian Highway -> Santa Ysabel -> Cut North on 79 -> Mesa Grande -> Palomar Fast Side Returning to the I15.

Hoping to meet at 9 AM and will finish (I estimate) at 1-2 PM.

Any response is welcome.

Last edited by ethan84ae; 02-27-2003 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:12 AM
nwind21

I can't make it the weekend of March 1st. I'll be at Vail, CO hoping to catch some powder (WOOT!)

March 8th is ok.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:22 AM
dczoner

I'm interested. I will be down in San Diego one of those weekends, but I'm not sure which (probably the wknd of the 8th).

Don't put me down for an absolutely for sure, but I'll try.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:32 AM
importriders

Damn, why am I always missing you guys. Can't make the 1st and 2nd, I'll be taking my Z to Buttonwillow that weekend. I can make the next weekend. The weekend of the 15th is SoloII at Qualcomm. Anyone going to that?
Old 02-19-2003, 11:58 AM
zman23

Thumbs up

I'm up for a run!

Redline Touring Autotrans
RSM
Old 02-19-2003, 12:16 PM
ganz

Cool, it's looking like the second weekend of March (8th or 9th).

Import, you betta make it this time! Pretty soon we'll have to bring a 1/18th scale of you and your Z along for the rides.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:14 PM
importriders

Originally posted by ganz
Cool, it's looking like the second weekend of March (8th or 9th).

Import, you betta make it this time! Pretty soon we'll have to bring a 1/18th scale of you and your Z along for the rides.
LOL, aight since you put it that way. If its the second weekend of March, I'm in.

Hey guys, since we all seem to like going on twistie rides may I suggest joining this club. They have at least 6-7 track days a year at most of the major racetracks in Cali. I'm taking the school March 1st and 2nd at Buttonwillow. Anyone want to join me?

Here's the link:www.touringcarclub.com
Old 02-19-2003, 06:50 PM
erock

Shweet..... I was jus gonna make a thread about a San Diego meet.... I would be able to make it on the 8th...... Jus got my Z, and I would love to take her on some twisties......

Btw, importriders, what's SOLOII?

Last edited by erock; 02-19-2003 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Aloharacing

This is the same route that I did a couple weeks ago, minus the trip to PM. PM has been a ZOO lately with sportbike squids, etc. IMO, it's not even worth the trip up there in a single car, let alone a caravan of us.

There's a curve early on Mesa Grande that is good for pics- the only problem is that the 2nd roll of film didn't come out (the one with the pics of my Z). Here is a pic of my bud who I was chasing during the drive (it was me and him).
Attached Thumbnails San Diego Run - Highland Valley/Santa Ysabel/Palomar-zrx1.jpg  
Old 02-19-2003, 07:59 PM
ganz

Originally posted by Aloharacing
This is the same route that I did a couple weeks ago, minus the trip to PM. PM has been a ZOO lately with sportbike squids, etc. IMO, it's not even worth the trip up there in a single car, let alone a caravan of us.
Aloha,

Do you suggest I change the route? Is Palomar crowded around 11 am? Please advise.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:18 PM
Aloharacing

Aloha,

Do you suggest I change the route? Is Palomar crowded around 11 am? Please advise.
I'm not suggesting you change the route..i'm just letting you know what to expect.

They say that pictures are worth a thousand words...

Guess where these guys are headed?
http://www.socalrider.com/2003Pictur...r0209_108.html

http://www.socalrider.com/2003Pictur...r0209_115.html

It has gotten crazy in the past year, to say the least. I stopped riding up there a little over a year ago. A couple weeks ago, a dude lowsided and took out another guy, and then someone went into a guardrail shortly after.. I just don't want a rider/bike crashing into my car.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:21 AM
importriders

Originally posted by erock
Shweet..... I was jus gonna make a thread about a San Diego meet.... I would be able to make it on the 8th...... Jus got my Z, and I would love to take her on some twisties......

Btw, importriders, what's SOLOII?
SOLOII is also called autocrossing. Basically a track made out of cones. Check this out: www.scca.org

As for the ride, I'm cool with whatever you guys decide. As for PM Sat. are better than Sun. if we go.

Last edited by importriders; 02-20-2003 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:50 PM
dczoner

Originally posted by importriders
LOL, aight since you put it that way. If its the second weekend of March, I'm in.

Hey guys, since we all seem to like going on twistie rides may I suggest joining this club. They have at least 6-7 track days a year at most of the major racetracks in Cali. I'm taking the school March 1st and 2nd at Buttonwillow. Anyone want to join me?

Here's the link:www.touringcarclub.com
That looks like an awesome club. I'd love to hear your impression after the mar event. Unfortunately this car is sapping most of my excess $$$, but when you look at it it looks like one of these day events costs about as much as a speeding ticket

Please give us your impressions after your buttonwillow experience! Also, are you towing your car or are you going straight from the street on to the track?

Good luck!
Old 02-20-2003, 03:16 PM
ganz

Starting to look like March 8th (Saturday).

9AM meeting spot TBA.

The Palomar portion will stay. I will do a preliminary run probably the weekend before to see how conditions are.

So far I have :

nwind21
dczoner (maybe)
importriders
erock

Aloha(?)

Also, a couple motorcycles may want to join in. Personally I don't care, but does anyone oppose this?
Old 02-20-2003, 03:24 PM
erock

Starting to look like March 8th (Saturday).

9AM meeting spot TBA.

The Palomar portion will stay. I will do a preliminary run probably the weekend before to see how conditions are.

So far I have :

nwind21
dczoner (maybe)
importriders
erock

Aloha(?)

Also, a couple motorcycles may want to join in. Personally I don't care, but does anyone oppose this?
I don't mind as long as they are WAY in front of me or WAY behind me..... Nothing against bikers, its only cuz I jus got my baby and am very overprotective....

Jus curious, I'm not a native Californian and have never been on PCH (this is the one by the water right?)..... Is it a pretty nice drive? How far is it from us in SD?
Old 02-20-2003, 03:43 PM
importriders

Originally posted by dczoner
That looks like an awesome club. I'd love to hear your impression after the mar event. Unfortunately this car is sapping most of my excess $$$, but when you look at it it looks like one of these day events costs about as much as a speeding ticket

Please give us your impressions after your buttonwillow experience! Also, are you towing your car or are you going straight from the street on to the track?

Good luck!
I'm not gonna tow it since I'm just doing the school. But I may tow it for future events. I need to get some street wheels first though. I'll definitley give you guys the low down on the club.

As for the drive. I think it would be cool to have some bikes along. Like erock said, as long as they are in front of me.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:57 PM
Aloharacing

Originally posted by erock
I don't mind as long as they are WAY in front of me or WAY behind me..... Nothing against bikers, its only cuz I jus got my baby and am very overprotective....
No sweat. Most likely, they will be way in front of us, depending on their skill level. Any idea how many? I wouldn't suggest more than 3-4.

My buddy who I went on the drive with is very fast on a bike, and I was pushing very hard to keep him in sight. I know that in a group drive, we won't be driving like I was a couple weeks ago. I think it's a cool idea.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:06 PM
erock

Bikers and Z's..... Sounds like it'll make an awesome picture.... I'll bring my Digi-Cam.....

Can I invite my buddy with a '03 Stage 2 Roush Mustang..... I know he would be down for a drive too..... If not it's cool, after all WE are very exclusive types....
Old 02-20-2003, 05:39 PM
dczoner

Well, it appears I'm gonna be in SD for that weekend, so count me in. I don't know if you want cell #'s or what so PM me if you want any info. Also, I think the motorcylces would be cool, plus if they go ahead of us they can watch out for cops

I do worry a little about the mustang... The terrain can be treacherous for our cars, I'm not sure they would be able to maintain the corners as well as we can (I'm sure the straight line will be a joke & a half)... As long as he's a good driver I'd say its all good (actually, come to think of it we had a V12 Jag at the one in December, so if it wasn't a problem there, it shouldn't be a problem for the roush. Lowfuel, you gonna be out there?
Old 02-20-2003, 07:23 PM
Mr B

I would assume a Roush stage 2 Stang could keep up with a Z even if the owner was pushing it to only 7/10th's of its limits.

Quick Reply: San Diego Run - Highland Valley/Santa Ysabel/Palomar