Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Street Image Rocks!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 03:08 PM
L337350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Don't believe so, my recollection was $95.00/hr. Call Performance Nissan at 866-214-2933 if you want to be sure.
sorry thought you were talking about street image not pn
Old 07-02-2006, 03:10 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by L337350
sorry thought you were talking about street image not pn
Well, as for SI, I was charged $400 for labor. They did about 6 hours work. So, if you exclude the $30.00 for the belts, SI was charging me about $65/hour. I think their rates are actually higher, I'm not sure. Whatever the case, it was a hook up.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:47 PM
r3v

Originally Posted by hfm
And, if you think $485 is high, what do you think of being charged over $1000 by Performance Nissan?
Never has it ever crossed my mind where i would take my car into a dealership to do service. Of course they're going to charge up the a$$, what else do you expect from them?

Originally Posted by hfm
All you need to do to figure out whether what you're saying is correct is to do a search.

1 - 1.5 hours JUST FOR ROTORS per Stoptech:
Ok ask yourself this, what is the last step on taking off the OEM brake setup? Taking off the rotors. Weather you're just changing out the rotors or going big brake kit... the last step is the rotors. Given that scenario the benefit of the doubt, he only wanted to change the rotors. Compared that to your situation, the calipers for a rotor replacement will just be left off to the side hung next to the struts. Keep in mind though that the two mounting caliper bolts were still removed. The extra step that you had to do compared to his is replacing the caliper. A reputable shop with all NEEDED tools on their cart with your car on a lift is not going to take 6 hours.

Im done with this. It's water under the bridge. Of course you're going to be defensive about all of this because you did just blow $400+ on labor.

Moving on....
Old 07-02-2006, 05:15 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by r3v
Never has it ever crossed my mind where i would take my car into a dealership to do service. Of course they're going to charge up the a$$, what else do you expect from them?
I don't think you're getting it. The dealership told me this was an 8 hour job. It isn't. I went to the shop where I knew they would do the job within a reasonable period of time. In fact Buckey kept apologizing for it taking as long as it did. Fact is, the time he spent was appropriate if you're going to do the job correctly.

Tell you what, when you're ready to do a big brake kit installation, and you've gotten some quotes, then you would be in a position to say whether the job is reasonable or not. Have you done a big brake kit installation before? If not, what are you basing your statements upon? I cited three examples of people who have actually done this in the past.

Ok ask yourself this, what is the last step on taking off the OEM brake setup? Taking off the rotors. Weather you're just changing out the rotors or going big brake kit... the last step is the rotors. Given that scenario the benefit of the doubt, he only wanted to change the rotors. Compared that to your situation, the calipers for a rotor replacement will just be left off to the side hung next to the struts. Keep in mind though that the two mounting caliper bolts were still removed. The extra step that you had to do compared to his is replacing the caliper. A reputable shop with all NEEDED tools on their cart with your car on a lift is not going to take 6 hours.

Im done with this. It's water under the bridge. Of course you're going to be defensive about all of this because you did just blow $400+ on labor.

Moving on....
The brake job took about four hours, not six. The six hours included:

Removal of the front calipers and rotors.
Installation of front calipers (they must be assembled) and rotors.
Removal of rear calipers and rotors.
Installation of rear rotors.

Oil Change.

Belts.

Approximately 1 hour to fix bent metal.

Bedding in brakes.

Fixing E-Brakes.

Again, the actual time spent on the installation was about 4 hours not six. The other two hours were spent on the oil change, fixing the bent metal including dropping the whole lower arm assembly, fixing e-brakes and two bed in runs.

I don't know what your problem is, I'm not being defensive, I'm telling you exactly what was being done. I was there and oversaw all the work. There was no padding of time and clearly you are mis-understanding that the brake job took four hours, not six and certainly not eight being quoted by the dealership.

I don't know if you're just not understanding or if you're just deliberately trying to troll. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're just not understanding the job involved. Tell you what, call up Performance Nissan or any other dealership and ask them for a quote. Call up other shops and ask for their quote. If you're not willing to do this, all you're offering is an uneducated opinion that is without experience or knowledge.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:01 PM
sein

Originally Posted by hfm

My thoughts on this is simply this - I may go FI when Jim Wolf's kit is CARB certified. When that happens - Eric will be doing my installation.
Good luck with that bro. I personally would not let any shop install FI that could not dyno tune it. But again, I wish you the best!
Old 07-02-2006, 06:10 PM
sein

Originally Posted by hfm

WTF? Cite me a place that will do this for $100.00.

My friend and I swaped brakes (brembos and regulars). They not only had to take off a pair of brakes front and back and reinstall it but they had to do it twice!! Know how much it cost me $160. $80 per car. Check them out they are in San Gabriel Valley http://www.impexusa.com/
Old 07-02-2006, 06:22 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by sein
My friend and I swaped brakes (brembos and regulars). They not only had to take off a pair of brakes front and back and reinstall it but they had to do it twice!! Know how much it cost me $160. $80 per car. Check them out they are in San Gabriel Valley http://www.impexusa.com/
That is freaking amazing. How long did it take?

Trust you're doing well out in Atlanta. You coming back to So.Cal?
Old 07-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sein
Good luck with that bro. I personally would not let any shop install FI that could not dyno tune it. But again, I wish you the best!
I have to agree with you or a shop that can't even figure out how to install a ignition plug on a FI install....
Old 07-02-2006, 07:33 PM
B-Unit

Originally Posted by hfm
I don't have any problems with you Bryan. I think it best that we simply agree to disagree on Street Image's performance and value.

My experiences were extremely positive. Yours apparrently were not. I don't think Eric is the type of guy that would have charged you for something he didn't do.

He's not the type to waste his time reading and posting these posts and was unaware of your post until I brought it to his attention. I suggested he post to give his side of the story. He declined. And, he was right to decline. His view was, no matter what he said, posters on these forums have a tendency to view matters depending upon how popular people are. And, he's right. You're a liked individual, and if he came to post, likely a group of people would band up to bash him. There's very few vendors I've seen able to deal with this kind of treatment - Jeff over at Performance and Vandy over at Crawford being good examples. But, those guys depend upon the flow of customers from this forum and do whatever is necessary. It's hard work to respond to each accusation.

I'm not going to post his response to your claim. That's just hearsay. But, I wonder if you've bothered to call him to discuss your concerns before you started posting? What was the reason he gave you?

Hope to see you at Hearst too.

Well heres the real deal. I dont have a hatred for street image. Im really annoyed with them, but i dont have any kind of hate for them...

All i have against street image is that they made me wait a butt load of time everytime ive gone there. im really laid back person and i can put those types of things behind me, to me it just spells incompetence so thats why i dont go back. but i dont really care. its not liike i planned huge things around those days etc. i pretty much had allday so i was like meh. this has been a ghey day, but i wasnt like furious or anything.

Theres some info that i was inaccurate on in my first post. the washers werent like 60 buks, it was like 40, so that is a bit of missinformation i posted at first. you ask me why i dont call eric, its cuz i dont wanna talk to him...and if i did, theres no resolution that i particularly care about having with him or anyone there. Its 40 buks, i could really care less if it was a hundred ive invested thousands in the car so 100 buks i dont even care about... it was more me being a lil peeved about how it was money i was charged for zero product...

and originally i wrote my thread as a kind of wtfbbq thread. i wansnt liike burn in hell street image. more just like wtf beeiich!1 thats my thread says thanx for "nothing" b/c they didnt give me anything..i thought people would get that. but then we get all these people saying umm yea, i was gheyed at street image too.. so it became a fun thread to read seeing how many people SI pwnt with their lame and incompetent business practices. so yea..thats the thread. if you read all my posts their all about how SI is lameee. not how zomg i hate SI!!!!1111.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:35 PM
VN_350z
Banned

$400 dollars for labor..no wonder those suckers at street image gave you "free motul fluid"...one of those tricks to make customer happy LOL.

I've heard so many bad things about these guys. You better check if they even put in MOTUL fluid or some cheap...u know.

I costed me $100 dollars for my big brake kit upgrade + fluid..but i know mine is not MOTAL. LOL
Old 07-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Unit
Theres some info that i was inaccurate on in my first post. the washers werent like 60 buks, it was like 40, so that is a bit of missinformation i posted at first. you ask me why i dont call eric, its cuz i dont wanna talk to him...and if i did, theres no resolution that i particularly care about having with him or anyone there. Its 40 buks, i could really care less if it was a hundred ive invested thousands in the car so 100 buks i dont even care about... it was more me being a lil peeved about how it was money i was charged for zero product...
I would say it was not a money issue but the principle of the fact that they would charge you for parts or services not performed. When my friend Jorge took his car out of SI and to GT motorsports only then did he become aware of the half *** Job they performed. It took them a MONTH to install the kit when they promised him about a week and a half. When he called back to inquire Eric told him to stop calling cuz he calls too much.....how's that for customer service

Last edited by Ed 718; 07-02-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:01 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by hfm
He declined. And, he was right to decline. His view was, no matter what he said, posters on these forums have a tendency to view matters depending upon how popular people are. And, he's right. You're a liked individual, and if he came to post, likely a group of people would band up to bash him.
Sheesh, if a happy customer has to deal with all the crap posted above, I'd hate to be the vendor.

Vn 350, where did you get your brake kit done?

I'm going to confirm each of these $100.00 jobs quoted when I have free time.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:31 PM
B-Unit

yea damn 100 does sound cheap from a shop, id almost bbe scared. ill be doing stoptechs in the next little bit here i just need to rotors so ill make sure to post pics with time but i hear the usual for sure is 4 hours.

-B-

the problem with pricing is whhen i do it, i assess how hard it was for me. and then how hard it would be for a shop then.. thats why i think allot of these shops are too expensive but they do have costs to account for..
Old 07-02-2006, 08:55 PM
VN_350z
Banned

Originally Posted by hfm
Sheesh, if a happy customer has to deal with all the crap posted above, I'd hate to be the vendor.

Vn 350, where did you get your brake kit done?

I'm going to confirm each of these $100.00 jobs quoted when I have free time.
when you ready to install, send me a PM. The shop is in Westminster
Old 07-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Beer Goggles

SI nearly ruined Jorges car, enough for me to not ever think of using them or recommending them to a single person I like.

It takes a lifetime to build a reputation and a second to ruin it...ruined.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:16 PM
drsifu

since there is some discussion on how long it actually takes to upgrade to a BBK, I'll share my experience. I upgraded from Brembos to a 14" Stoptech kit, rotors, lines, pads and brake fluid, front and rear.

It took me, if you don't include breaks, about 4 hours to get the job done, 30 minutes of which was getting the car up on wooden blocks, using a scissor jack to get one side up high enough for my jack, and than and using my old jack to get the car on jackstands.

You also need to trim the rear dust shields and remove the front dust shields on the 14" kits, not sure about the 13 inchers.

I bled the brakes manually 3 times before I got most of the air out.

So, a performance shop whose job is to work on cars and who has training and access to a variety of tools should NOT take anywhere near 4 hours. The fact that Performance quotes an 8 hour job is ridiculous (sp?).

So, I would think a good performance shop can do this job in under three hours, with only one tech to do the uninstall/install. An excellent shop can do it in under two hours.

So yes, the $400 job by SI is expensive, but in the big scheme of things, you felt the work was good, so the price you paid was fair.

PS: There should never be tax on services performed.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:48 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by VN_350z
Have you read what I've posted? When I'm ready to install? What's the name and number of the shop?
Old 07-02-2006, 10:49 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by Beer Goggles
SI nearly ruined Jorges car, enough for me to not ever think of using them or recommending them to a single person I like.

It takes a lifetime to build a reputation and a second to ruin it...ruined.

Who is Jorges and what happened?
Old 07-02-2006, 10:51 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by drsifu
since there is some discussion on how long it actually takes to upgrade to a BBK, I'll share my experience. I upgraded from Brembos to a 14" Stoptech kit, rotors, lines, pads and brake fluid, front and rear.

It took me, if you don't include breaks, about 4 hours to get the job done, 30 minutes of which was getting the car up on wooden blocks, using a scissor jack to get one side up high enough for my jack, and than and using my old jack to get the car on jackstands.

You also need to trim the rear dust shields and remove the front dust shields on the 14" kits, not sure about the 13 inchers.

I bled the brakes manually 3 times before I got most of the air out.

So, a performance shop whose job is to work on cars and who has training and access to a variety of tools should NOT take anywhere near 4 hours. The fact that Performance quotes an 8 hour job is ridiculous (sp?).

So, I would think a good performance shop can do this job in under three hours, with only one tech to do the uninstall/install. An excellent shop can do it in under two hours.

So yes, the $400 job by SI is expensive, but in the big scheme of things, you felt the work was good, so the price you paid was fair.

PS: There should never be tax on services performed.
I'm going to call Stoptech and get their opinion.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:12 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by VN_350z

Originally Posted by hfm
Have you read what I've posted? When I'm ready to install? What's the name and number of the shop?
You know what. Forget it. You're a twit. When I'm ready to install....

Troll elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Street Image Rocks!!