Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Street Image Rocks!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 11:56 PM
jd2k1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hfm = eric from SI. i kid i kid.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:57 PM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jd2k1
hfm = eric from SI. i kid i kid.
Heh. 9 posts and you know me well enough to know better.

Regards.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Cannysage

I was charged $250 for regular brake pad install and rotor shaving on a 4x4 (more expensive than regular cars). Big brake kits wouldn't be any more work than regular but would never cost $100. $400 sounds steep, though. It prolly take me about 4.5 hours DIY, cuz I'm a slow azz, and should take a good shop less than 2 hours at a reasonable pace. I'd say it should be less than $300, but never really gotten quotes from shops so I can't whole heartedly voice my opinion.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:59 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by Cannysage
I was charged $250 for regular brake pad install and rotor shaving on a 4x4 (more expensive than regular cars). Big brake kits wouldn't be any more work than regular but would never cost $100. $400 sounds steep, though. It prolly take me about 4.5 hours DIY, cuz I'm a slow azz, and should take a good shop less than 2 hours at a reasonable pace. I'd say it should be less than $300, but never really gotten quotes from shops so I can't whole heartedly voice my opinion.
Fair assessment Canny. I'll get a definitive answer asap. PM already sent to a Stoptech rep. I'll make phone calls if necessary.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:08 AM
B-Unit

wait. what are we trying to find out from stoptech? how long it take to install bbk?/

-B-
Old 07-03-2006, 12:15 AM
hfm

Originally Posted by B-Unit
wait. what are we trying to find out from stoptech? how long it take to install bbk?/

-B-
Yep.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:19 AM
sparkle

lol, wow
Old 07-03-2006, 06:11 AM
CAL_G35C1

atta boy..

way to get gipped and post it on the internet.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:34 AM
Vicynax

Originally Posted by hfm
In short, what would have been over $1,000 at the dealership ran me $485.

Performance Nissan quoted me $600 when I went there for my last service and I asked them for rate of installing 4 BBKs. My service tech is Josh if I remember correctly. Usually I just divide what dealerships quote me by half and that's usually the ball park service price outside from any reputable shop. Mind you, I haven't searched outside for BBK installers because my break won't go out for another few thousand miles, but $600/2 = $300 sounds about right.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:15 AM
hfm

Originally Posted by CAL_G35C1
atta boy..

way to get gipped and post it on the internet.
Typical comment of a guy who brags about his SAT scores on the internet, and obviously needs to go back to Berkley to grow up some more.

Putz.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:21 AM
hfm

Originally Posted by Vicynax
Performance Nissan quoted me $600 when I went there for my last service and I asked them for rate of installing 4 BBKs. My service tech is Josh if I remember correctly. Usually I just divide what dealerships quote me by half and that's usually the ball park service price outside from any reputable shop. Mind you, I haven't searched outside for BBK installers because my break won't go out for another few thousand miles, but $600/2 = $300 sounds about right.
Thanks for your input.

I've got two PMs out. I don't know if Stoptech will respond because of the politics of posting times that may conflict with distributor jobbers. But, I don't see why they wouldn't when they've posted estimates for rotor installations.

As soon as I get a response, I'll ask permission to post the response and will put up the results. If no response is received by mid-week, I'll make phone calls.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Who is Jorges and what happened?
Dan here is what happened to Jorge taken from what he posted

"I dropped my car off for a Greddy TT install with Intercooler, CF hood, Stoptech Upgrade kit and a few other goodies. Eric at Street Image said usually it takes about a week but to avoid delaying me he will say 13-15 days so i said ok np. They also requested more than 60% down if I remember correctly. Well i called 4 days before the 15 days and asked him if the 15th day would be the day and what time to go since i needed a ride to get there and wanted to avoid just sittign there. So he says around 5PM on the 15th day and I show up and find my car with just the intercoller mounted and NOTHING ELSE DONE!!!!!! I was like WTF! So he proceeds to explain that he had some show cars there and that he does the Scions for Toyota and that he cant brush them off so he says 3 more days.
THREE DAYS LATER
Day 3 comes and i call and then he said tomorrow, by means of the counter rep since he said he was too busy to take my call.
TOMORROW
Nothing again, and Im being told Eric is not there and that he needs to call me back which by the way never happened.
DAY AFTER
I show up and find Mondo working on the car he then says that he is delayed because he cant put TOYOTA on hold because he charges them $25k for the project, so im like WTF I spent more than $10K here and thats too little for you?
I then go outside and get a drink and when i walk back in ERIC is inside and then yells at em to shut up because his counter rep was on the phone telling someone that HE WAS NOT THERE. Im like WTF is this. I leave and ask for car to be done end of 3rd week. He says yeah np.

END OF THIRD WEEK
Again im being tolled tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. I didnt want to blow up since I was afraid of them rushing things and didnt want to have problems later.
Now keep in mind that when the days came of promise they never called to say not today i had to call and then i would find it wasnt ready and on one ocassion I was tolled i called too much.
Anyhow to make a long story short, their $2K install price cost me $6K in reinstalls, retuning, and adding a few parts that were not installed at all that should of come with the kit. We had to get the car to another shop and start from stratch.
The kit is awesome, it was just the shop and I have been running the kit for a few months and couldnt be pleased but I will never forget how it took them over a month and did a sh*tty job"

Last edited by Ed 718; 07-03-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:01 AM
hfm

Originally Posted by Ed 718
Dan here is what happened to Jorge taken from what he posted
Got it, thanks. Zman had posted about this too. And, I was concerned about it as well. My post:

Originally Posted by hfm
I do appreciate your post because, I had the exact same thoughts about that TT install. I specifically brought this up and the answer I recieved was honest - they did in fact have calendaring problems due to jobs from big companies. They've made efforts to correct this kind of problem. And, I said, if I had this kind of delay, what would you do to fix the problem. I was correctly told that their would be adjustments on my bill. I'm not quite certain to what extent he was taken care in view of the delays. But, I suspect there was either some work done free or reductions in price.

My thoughts on this is simply this - I may go FI when Jim Wolf's kit is CARB certified. When that happens - Eric will be doing my installation.
I agree that particular job should have been handled better. Eric's response was however reasonable when I asked him about it and I wonder if his Jorge's job was discounted.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Vicynax

Originally Posted by hfm
Thanks for your input.

I've got two PMs out. I don't know if Stoptech will respond because of the politics of posting times that may conflict with distributor jobbers. But, I don't see why they wouldn't when they've posted estimates for rotor installations.

As soon as I get a response, I'll ask permission to post the response and will put up the results. If no response is received by mid-week, I'll make phone calls.
This thread doesn't really matter IMHO. So what if the BBK job is suppose to be around $200. So you over paid $200. If you believe they did a great job and you can tell it's installed correctly, then that's all that matters. SI is not gonna refund you, and people saying they got it for $100 won't be able to reimburse you. Just heed the members' warnings before other installations next time.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:40 PM
hfm

This thread doesn't really matter IMHO. So what if the BBK job is suppose to be around $200. So you over paid $200. If you believe they did a great job and you can tell it's installed correctly, then that's all that matters. SI is not gonna refund you, and people saying they got it for $100 won't be able to reimburse you. Just heed the members' warnings before other installations next time.
I don't believe it is possible to do this job for $100 or even $200. I'm researching this further.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:03 PM
hfm

Found it.

Can I install a StopTech big brake kit on my own?
If you are comfortable doing a brake change (pads and rotors, bleeding the brakes), and have a basic knowledge of working on cars, installation of a StopTech big brake kit will not be too challenging, in fact it will probably be one of the most gratifying upgrades you perform. Every kit includes detailed illustrated instructions, and our Customer Service staff is technically trained to assist you should any questions arise. If you choose to have a qualified mechanic do the work, they should have no problem, and again, we are available to answer any questions. A typical first time installation will take 2-3 hours per axle. In some instances where modifications to the suspension may be necessary, special tools or skills may be required. If any operations seem beyond your skill level, StopTech will gladly help you find a distributor who can also handle your installation needs.
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/faqs.shtml#8

2-3 per axle x 2 axles = 4-6 for a first time installer. Should be less for someone who does these often.

$100 might be possible if you're paying Buckwheat $25.00 per hour. But, if you're going to go to any reputable shop, it's going to be at $95 per hour.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:17 PM
dreamspeed

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, what’s going on is that he paid X amount for the install and then people are telling him he got ripped cause you can get it installed for Y amount. Now, he is out to prove that he didn’t’ get ripped off and that the other people are lying/ignorant.

Some other points

1. 4 hours seems about right for a DIY (although this can vary greatly depending on experience/tools) If you do it at a shop it should be much quicker since they have air tools and a lift.
2. Getting anything done at the dealer will in fact rip you a new one.
3. 100 bucks does sound real cheap but living in So Cal it shouldn’t surprise you the low prices the endless number of dime a dozen hole in the wall shops charge. Obviously a larger more well known aftermarket shop charges significantly more then the random shop that no one has ever heard of
4. In terms of quality work done, usually the dealer does the best work followed by the bigger shops and then the no name shops. However, often times the best work is done by yourself. No one I repeat no one cares about your car as much as you do, hence the 1000% extra care you’ll put into the install yourself.
5. All in all I dunno if you overpaid or not but it seems to be a “general reasonable” price for a “good” install. It’s like paying retail price for clothes at a department store. To some people that’s normal to others it’s a friggin rip off.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:27 PM
groovin_350z
Sleeps in 350Z

who cares if he got ripped. i say if he's happy...then let it be :cheers:
Old 07-03-2006, 02:33 PM
hfm

Originally Posted by dreamspeed
Well, what’s going on is that he paid X amount for the install and then people are telling him he got ripped cause you can get it installed for Y amount. Now, he is out to prove that he didn’t’ get ripped off and that the other people are lying/ignorant.

Some other points

1. 4 hours seems about right for a DIY (although this can vary greatly depending on experience/tools) If you do it at a shop it should be much quicker since they have air tools and a lift.
2. Getting anything done at the dealer will in fact rip you a new one.
3. 100 bucks does sound real cheap but living in So Cal it shouldn’t surprise you the low prices the endless number of dime a dozen hole in the wall shops charge. Obviously a larger more well known aftermarket shop charges significantly more then the random shop that no one has ever heard of
4. In terms of quality work done, usually the dealer does the best work followed by the bigger shops and then the no name shops. However, often times the best work is done by yourself. No one I repeat no one cares about your car as much as you do, hence the 1000% extra care you’ll put into the install yourself.
5. All in all I dunno if you overpaid or not but it seems to be a “general reasonable” price for a “good” install. It’s like paying retail price for clothes at a department store. To some people that’s normal to others it’s a friggin rip off.
Good assessment man.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:44 PM
r3v

yeah thats where i didn't care anymore. He sounds pretty happy so I didn't want to continue on with ruining his parade.

we've got a big meet coming up so we all need to just get along before the date comes by.

it's aaaaallllll gravy baby.

Quick Reply: Street Image Rocks!!