Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Need Help, Car Wash Damaged Wheel..Course of Action

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 10:02 AM
fahrenheit350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks to hear that. I had GT-7's with clearcoat badly stripped. I took them apart and polished them with eagleone metal polish to strip the rest of the clear coat off to the metal. Having polished lips are a b*tch to maintain but the end result is a brighter shine.

I also found Triji's idea, very intriguing also, https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-tires/180515-chroming-volk-lips.html, he damaged his rims and decided to chrome them. This may weaken the forged outer lip a bit but nothing to jeopardize safety and structural integrity.

Either way you go you will get very friendly with your volks. Hope they the car wash can pay for it tho.

Btw, if anyone does go to a car wash... please tell them not to spray the wheels with the cleaner they are using. Almost every wash I go to use an acid based cleaner, bad for any volks.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:25 AM
josephchihweilu

i never trust anyone washing my car. you should start washing it yourself. just grab your ipod and start washing haha
Old 07-18-2006, 10:48 AM
SOCAL350

Originally Posted by josephchihweilu
i never trust anyone washing my car. you should start washing it yourself. just grab your ipod and start washing haha
Ya think? How does this help me at all? Once again.......if you dont have advise bump you post count in another thread.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:50 AM
SOCAL350

Just for an update..........
Owner is working with me. Im going to chrome the barrels at his expense. Thanks for everyone that had REAL advise to offer.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:24 AM
fahrenheit350

Believe it or not there are business out there that do a great job... you figure the car state of the world don't have good car washes?

Because of my busy schedule I have someone else wash my car. I trust my guy at the chevron wash on bake and trabuco. Since they have techs on hand that are trained at the meguiars hq in irvine, they have good knowledge of washing and waxing cars... and they don't hit the wallet that bad. I setup a package where they wash my car in the back with a hose, df towels and meguiars car wash (no vac) and proceeds to hand dry with df towels also with no cleaners on the wheels but with tire conditioner. IMO, they do a great job. There are places out there, just got to find them.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:19 AM
narkotic

I had the same problem. I always wash my own car but once I decided to try one cause I was tired and lazy.

I walk out to the bay when they say my car is done and notice a haze on all my 4 Gt-7's. I lost it.. They argued and argued with me and finally i found someone that spoke decent english to tell me that the owner was not there and to come back.

I had to go back there at least 5 times and finally met the owner, after going back and fourth we finally settled at $1000. I got tired of arguing that they "coudln't be polished cause they have a special anodized clear coat only possible in Japan."

Learned my lesson that day, but my advise is, (sounds like you already reached a decision) is to stick with it until something happens.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:27 AM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

The man is asking for help and not ridicule. Not everybody has the time to clean there own cars. I have a reputable car wash in melrose that knows the difference between a chrome wheel and one that has a clear coat/anodized finish. Great help bud