Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Spotted: 350Z Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 03:08 PM
dczoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spotted: 350Z Convertible

Hey all,

So I was cruising up the PCH from Huntington Beach where I was doing some apartment hunting, heading in to Seal Beach, and what do I see heading in the other direction but a nice Silverstone 350. So I give a wave, and as they pass, it occurs to me that the car should have a soft top!

Damn! I just saw the convertible?!?! Took me a second to register, but here's what I thought:

The main car lines are remarkably similar. There isn't that "bulbous" shape that, for instance, the Mitsubishi Eclipse convertibles have. The roof line is slightly different, and obviously doesn't have the exact curve of the hardtop, but it still looks entirely like a Z. I noticed some people referring to it as looking like a Miata, and I can assure you with the top up it is still entirely a Z. No question. The soft top for this model was a dark navy blue, almost like the navy blue they offer Porsche Boxter's in. The top didn't look like it was fitting perfectly, so I'm assuming it was a prototype design. The rear window was plastic, which looked really bad, but once again I'm only gonna guess that its a prototype. The rear deck somehow looked very similar to the hardtop. I would guess I got this impression from how the rear lip curved up to the soft top - I think there may be a piece that fits around the softtop to taper off the shape of the roof to the rear deck. Like I said, it was driving the other direction, so I didn't get the best look in the world, nor could I turn around at the part of PCH that I was at.

Lookin pretty good Nissan. I just hope the top gets a couple of tweaks, and this could be a major player in the convertibles market.

I guess I've got pretty good luck spotting these things. So far I've seen the Z before release date, the Murano WELL before release date, the FX45 before release, the new Chrysler SUV before release, and now the 350Z Convert. Ah... life is good in Southern California.
Old 02-23-2003, 03:21 PM
reen

Default I got pics of it....

See my post at:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=20429
Old 02-23-2003, 05:24 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

seems like you luck out alot with nissan
all ive ever seen was an e46 m3 before release date
except for the chrysler every car you saw is awesome
Old 02-23-2003, 06:51 PM
dczoner

Originally posted by ihatethatbobbarker
except for the chrysler every car you saw is awesome
Actually the Chrysler looked pretty sweet. When I first saw it I thought it was a lot more "high end" brand, like a BMW or Mercedes (I guess it is part-Benz). The Nissan's are definitely the best to spot tho, although I think the people driving them are wary of 350Z's - too much risk of getting pictured. But the roadster was outta nowhere, I just saw it out of my eye like I do so many Z's. This one just happened to not be "normal".
Old 02-23-2003, 07:06 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

personally i think the Z would make an awesome hard top convertible