Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

SoCal Rice Fest

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Risk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickdogg
I dunno about the tat thing. I mean cmon someone tatted some Z logo on their back! (It is in the off-topic or 350z section)

However, I definitely give hondas props for what they can do. I think for most it is because it is pretty economical to make one of these cars fast. Pick-up a shell and throw in a B-series motor swap for pennies and you can have one fast car. With the plethora of aftermarket parts available, you can even boost it for pretty cheap!

On the other hand, I think for some it is the idea of having such a small motor crank out power that is pretty damn impressive when boosted. Those honda motors are rev-happy bastards. We also cannot forget the sport compact roots that started with the SOHC hondas in the early 90's that made the sport compact scene what it is today for all import enthusiasts to enjoy

My favorite hondas:

Honda S2k: One of the greatest feeling trannies
Acura NSX: Pure Sex
EG Hatchback: Great clean simple car that would fly with a K20 swap boosted!
EK Coupe: Cleanest coupe they made

+1....its all about cheap. But hell, if you want to go fast for cheap, why not pick up a used GT mustang or Z28 camaro insted? Those are the real bang for the buck.

Mid 90's GT mustang = $5k
used blower (paxton, vortech...whatever) = $2-3k

And there you have it, a 12 sec car for under 10 grand....maybe these kids dont know this?....or are just too dumb to realize that a stock ponycar (and especially one with a blower) will outrun their modded to the max civic?....IDK

Disclaimer: I HAVE seen some super quick civics, but always end up thinking "why the hell would you......."
Old 08-08-2006, 09:14 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by Risk
+1....its all about cheap. But hell, if you want to go fast for cheap, why not pick up a used GT mustang or Z28 camaro insted? Those are the real bang for the buck.

And there you have it, a 12 sec car for under 10 grand....maybe these kids dont know this?....or are just too dumb to realize that a stock ponycar (and especially one with a blower) will outrun their modded to the max civic?....IDK

Disclaimer: I HAVE seen some super quick civics, but always end up thinking "why the hell would you......."
TY

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP/SS Impala/Buick Regal GS

5-15k plus 500-2k in mods and you hit 13-12s quarter mile

Any of the L67/L32 m90 Supercharged pushrod engines can do mid 13s with 500 in mods and 12s with a 1k intercooler and smaller pulley.

Last edited by charlie_rdstr_Z; 08-08-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:14 AM
SergEK

Simple -- because you can pick up a $1000 Civic -- add a 2500 turbo setup and runs 12's for even less

Many a SOHC Civic have run 12's on stock block --- with 700 for rods and pistons they will go 11's

Fuel injection, light weight + boost and you have an inexpensive quick car that has a double wishbone suspension and can corner over a G with minimal suspension mods

Thats why --- its not just about drag racing --- its the whole car concept

If you dont believe me check out your local autoX and count the Civics vs V8 Mustangs

A 9sec car is a 9 sec car ---- most mustangs run 12's if that ---- traps 110-115 mostly

A 1.8L Civic with a turbo will trap 118 without blinking and can muster 125traps on stock block with decent tuning ---- if you ever come across a 9 sec Del Sol with UTAH plates....he traps well over 154

The new K series motors are larger and youll see more CIvic's running around with 1000whp on the street --- right now 6-700whp is the street norm with a few guys pushing GT42R's to 800whp --- on 2.0L motors --- the K's will be about 2.4L to 2.8 --- do the math

Last edited by SergEK; 08-09-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:19 AM
SergEK

Originally Posted by charlie_rdstr_Z
Who in their right mind would track their Z unless they don't mind crashing a 30k car?

My old Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with all 4k + lbs smog passable and everything in tact would smoke any streetable Honda. Go PONTIAC!
This is funny --- there are streetable all motor Hondas running low 11's and turbo'd Hondas that are streetable running 9's

Youve probably never raced and it shows ---- ignorance is bliss

Who would track their 300hp RWD SPORTS CAR? Hmmm let me guess here, people who use the car the way it was intended maybe? People who actually race their cars against other real people on real tracks?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Risk

Originally Posted by SergEK
Simple -- because you can pick up a $1000 Civic -- add a 2500 turbo setup and runs 12's for even less

If you believe that man, then youre on glue. I've seen enough $1k civics to know that they're held together by duct tape and twisty ties.

My whole point was this....why not start out with something more track worthy than a 4 banger front driver? Now you cant seriously argue that at the top levels of road racing (if autocross is what you want to talk about) that the best setup to have is a 2 liter engine in a car that pushes the nose so damn much due to it being a front driver that you have to e-brake the SOB to get it to turn. I was simply stating that going with a large motor, rear driver is MUCH more workable into most types of racing. Youre never going to see a 4 banger front driver being competitive at LaMans, but if your point was that one can be competitive on B Street in Chino, then I guess you got me there.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:06 AM
Risk

Originally Posted by Cannysage
about a week ago, I joined the honda-tech, only to pay respects to couple of members who passed on/badly injured. Then I went on to read about the s2000 and browsed the forum for a bit. Merely every farking thread was a bunch of kids arguing and cussing each other out! I hate to say it, but Chalie's comment is right. 99% of honda owners ARE ricers (excluding s2000). Inno, why are you getting stressed out? If you're in the 1%, you got nothing to worry about. If you have a 11sec honda, then we'll give you props. Gotta remember, not everyone on the street cares about racing. We also care about looking good and not revving up fart cans that sounds like shat, not getting cut off, and not getting taunted every few moments from the same models that's a rust bucket.
Exactly. I also give props where they are due.....an 11 sec civic?..I salute you if thats the case, but 99% of civic enthusiasts dont have one thats nearly that fast, unless you count AEM liscence plate frames as giving another 150whp. Seriously though, If youre going to build a seriously fast rice rocket, why not do it with some style and start out with an old 240Z or a mid 90's Supra.....something rear drive, still choppable down to nothing, a lot of space in the engine bay to tinker with all kinds of strange exotic coolness, and you dont look like every 16yo civic driver sporting a home built roll cage and a Cragen auto parts spray primer paint job.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:37 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

If you believe that man, then you're on glue. I've seen enough $1k civics to know that they're held together by duct tape and twisty ties.
I agree wit Risk you are giving too much credit and taking out other factors but I guess it's the bliss from the glue. Really they aren't that fast. My friend who has built Honda motors since the early 90s is working on an Integra with a stock motor and turbo. He told me it will barely hit 14s on a good day. My brother's B16 hatchback was even worse. Oh and his friends hatchback with a Prelude was not even that fast to begin with (14.8 at Palmdale) and it cost him 3-4k for the work plus a lot of maintenance. It was not a daily driver unless you consider bringing it to a shop and tuning once a month reliable. Add that into what you consider economical and the times he has had his car broken in as Honda owners are use to. That is enough solid evidence for me to make a judgement. But I guess a combination of Honda fan boy magazines, bliss and The Fast and Furious is convincing.

I've only done quarter miles but you know so much about me. And the fastest Honda's I've seen on the track were kind of fast, but not streeetable.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Inno

You guys who think these 11 and 12 second civics dont exist need to come get your a$$es handed to you in SoCal. They are EVERYWHERE. I'm sorry, but for $5k you can build a 12 second car easy! How? This simple... buy a used hatch for $1k, and then buy a K20a2 motor. This is the RSX-S motor. Swap it in, and bam 12s.

If you want to do it even better, buy a K24 longblock, and swap out the bottom end in the 20 for the 2.4L. Low 12s all day long with daily driver Honda reliability. Not a POS, but one bad a$$ little race car. Not to mention... This car will destroy those mustangs in the twisties at the same time. Fun fun fun!

My buddies heavy supercharged RSX is runnings 11.1 right now, going to break into 10s as he puts his built 2.4L block in. This isn't even turbo either! Funny thing is he went out to local drag with the Cobra club and none of the Cobras would run him. Finally their fastest guy did, and he lost with an 11.1 to a 11.4. Go over to k20a.org and you can see the video.

Back to my lightweight hatch, You spend a $3500 more for a JRSC, and now all of a sudden you are in the 11s at only 6psi with daily driver honda reliability for maybe $9k. Sorry, but the mustang will never say that! Neither will your Nissan!

Last edited by Inno; 08-10-2006 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Inno

PS... Since when did Nissan drivers have a right to be so high and mighty? LMFAO!

Last time I looked, many people consider the Z a 6cyl rice rocket. And give it a few more years, and all these civic drivers you hate will have your car too.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Inno
PS... Since when did Nissan drivers have a right to be so high and mighty? LMFAO!

Last time I looked, many people consider the Z a 6cyl rice rocket. And give it a few more years, and all these civic drivers you hate will have your car too.
but by then I'll be the 1% with an 11sec rice rocket, so people better show some respect and the good folks at My350z will haved moved on to the new gt-r as a weekend car, like me
Old 08-11-2006, 12:02 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by Inno
You guys who think these 11 and 12 second civics dont exist need to come get your a$$es handed to you in SoCal. They are EVERYWHERE. I'm sorry, but for $5k you can build a 12 second car easy! How? This simple... buy a used hatch for $1k, and then buy a K20a2 motor. This is the RSX-S motor. Swap it in, and bam 12s.

If you want to do it even better, buy a K24 longblock, and swap out the bottom end in the 20 for the 2.4L. Low 12s all day long with daily driver Honda reliability. Not a POS, but one bad a$$ little race car. Not to mention... This car will destroy those mustangs in the twisties at the same time. Fun fun fun!

My buddies heavy supercharged RSX is runnings 11.1 right now, going to break into 10s as he puts his built 2.4L block in. This isn't even turbo either! Funny thing is he went out to local drag with the Cobra club and none of the Cobras would run him. Finally their fastest guy did, and he lost with an 11.1 to a 11.4. Go over to k20a.org and you can see the video.

Back to my lightweight hatch, You spend a $3500 more for a JRSC, and now all of a sudden you are in the 11s at only 6psi with daily driver honda reliability for maybe $9k. Sorry, but the mustang will never say that! Neither will your Nissan!
Rsx motor is not cheap so stop lying to make it seem so easy and cheap. Add the cost of a highly likely chance that someone will break in your car or steal it to the factor and it won't seem so cheap. And not to mention the swap is not 100 percent compatible (DON"T LIE again please). If you DIY thinking you will save money then you better be a good fabricator and welder.

Yeah but can you drift a Civic or does it take another 1k dollar to make it RWD?

Obviously your friend put more money into his econo box than those Cobras. Cobra with pulley swap and headers and exhaust should be doing low 12s with reliability unless knocking, approximately 2k plus minor bolt on labor. Rsx with motor ripped out and frankenstein, well I doubt it unless you call loping and dying at stop lights reliable, approximately 5k plus major labor. Oh and let's see which one the cop would love to give a major fix it ticket to the referee to.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:20 AM
SergEK

Rsx motor is not cheap so stop lying to make it seem so easy and cheap. Add the cost of a highly likely chance that someone will break in your car or steal it to the factor and it won't seem so cheap. And not to mention the swap is not 100 percent compatible (DON"T LIE again please). If you DIY thinking you will save money then you better be a good fabricator and welder.

Yeah but can you drift a Civic or does it take another 1k dollar to make it RWD?

Obviously your friend put more money into his econo box than those Cobras. Cobra with pulley swap and headers and exhaust should be doing low 12s with reliability unless knocking, approximately 2k plus minor bolt on labor. Rsx with motor ripped out and frankenstein, well I doubt it unless you call loping and dying at stop lights reliable, approximately 5k plus major labor. Oh and let's see which one the cop would love to give a major fix it ticket to the referee to.
Point blank -- when cost is an issue the FWD Civics are hard to be for an all around car

A 1K hatch is not hard to find and as Inno has said your ignorance of Hondas and what they are capable is more than obvious

MY personal Civic hatch with just a 1.8L swap and drag radials (2.0 60') went 13.60's@101 All motor --- with some cams it would have gone 12's

Dont tell me what Hondas can do --- ask how --- dont just sit back and call people liars

1K hatch + T3 Super 60 + Uber/Chrome tuning = 12 Sec car for $3500 or so add a little more for the basics

A GSR with a turbo will go 12's easily --- 14's is all motor with bolt-ons

If you honestly think otherwise its you who is on glue --- what were your drag strip runs? ET and trap?

I own a Z because with some work the VQ will make 1500whp --- but dont get it twisted --- its more expensive than other platforms like a Supra --- in stock form the Z is a great car but its not the end all and never will be

The more owners I run across who are ignorant to drag racing and other OEM's capabilities it make me cringe

If I wanted a cheap car to make fast it would be an EVO --- all around its a tough package 26K for a stripper + 6K in boltons and you have an 11 sec monster that handles on rails --- Even a SC Cobra will be hard pressed to be brand new and do that --- 35K+ just for the car and they dont even offer them anymore

Anways the people who drag race and have experience will laugh at those who really dont know how easy it is to build a Honda --- the stunners who doubt will get eaten up and resort to the infamous "But at least I still drive an X" insert your favorite ride
Old 08-12-2006, 10:51 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Point blank -- when cost is an issue the FWD Civics are hard to be for an all around car

A 1K hatch is not hard to find and as Inno has said your ignorance of Hondas and what they are capable is more than obvious

MY personal Civic hatch with just a 1.8L swap and drag radials (2.0 60') went 13.60's@101 All motor --- with some cams it would have gone 12's

Dont tell me what Hondas can do --- ask how --- dont just sit back and call people liars

1K hatch + T3 Super 60 + Uber/Chrome tuning = 12 Sec car for $3500 or so add a little more for the basics

A GSR with a turbo will go 12's easily --- 14's is all motor with bolt-ons

If you honestly think otherwise its you who is on glue --- what were your drag strip runs? ET and trap?

I own a Z because with some work the VQ will make 1500whp --- but dont get it twisted --- its more expensive than other platforms like a Supra --- in stock form the Z is a great car but its not the end all and never will be

The more owners I run across who are ignorant to drag racing and other OEM's capabilities it make me cringe

If I wanted a cheap car to make fast it would be an EVO --- all around its a tough package 26K for a stripper + 6K in boltons and you have an 11 sec monster that handles on rails --- Even a SC Cobra will be hard pressed to be brand new and do that --- 35K+ just for the car and they dont even offer them anymore

Anways the people who drag race and have experience will laugh at those who really dont know how easy it is to build a Honda --- the stunners who doubt will get eaten up and resort to the infamous "But at least I still drive an X" insert your favorite ride
Old 08-13-2006, 03:31 AM
FLZ_Boy

I think you guys need to take R/C cars more seriously.

http://deathblossom.blogspot.com/200...r-160-mph.html

I wonder how much it cost to get that thing to move............

Last edited by FLZ_Boy; 08-13-2006 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:56 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Here's one from your homies

-JdMfREaK

Yo man i know it sucks to give it up...hondas what brought me in this beautiful street racing world....but no torque....lol hondas got sick mid range...and noting like slamming at 9's but you've stepped it up a notch...injoy in good health ...lol i no i do..i get in my *****...like i just bought it yesterday...and the response to mods is much greater...then an S Duce...Or any other honda...maybe not a K ...but keep it clean...

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/210098-good-bye-honda.html

Anways the people who drag race and have experience will laugh at those who really dont know how easier said than done to build a Honda --- the typical [H]onda fanyboy who doubt will get eaten up by displacement, RWD, and AWD and resort to the infamous "But at least it cost less to go fast" insert your internet rumors of Honda motor ride

Last edited by charlie_rdstr_Z; 08-13-2006 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:15 PM
SergEK

This is all you can come up with because A) your vert is slow and B) I can call several Hondas that would be more than happy to show you tail lights in SoCal

When you get some actual race experience maybe your ignorance will go away --- or your list excuses will get longer

If your gonna cop out and say you dont race then just stop posting --- if you want to race at pomona let me know so I can make some calls BOTI or even a test a tune session
Old 08-13-2006, 01:28 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

This is all you can come up with because A) your vert is slow and B) I can call several Hondas that would be more than happy to show you tail lights in SoCal

When you get some actual race experience maybe your ignorance will go away --- or your list excuses will get longer

If your gonna cop out and say you dont race then just stop posting --- if you want to race at pomona let me know so I can make some calls BOTI or even a test a tune session
I never said my vert is faster than your 1 percent elite crew or a lot faster than your 99 percent ricer. I just know it is faster than your 99 percent.

No need to defend the Honda boys cause I know it's potential from the bright colored magazine and my community college drop out brother (who had a b16 which my Pontiac grand prix ate for lunch), I just know not everyone (99 percent) use it. Why don't we go for a drift match.

You should stop posting just to prove to the world what potential it has and that there are so many swaps going around. I don't have vinyl stickers and scissors doors so I will pass on the festival.

BTW Out of the 5 times I've been to LACR for Pontiac Drag Days, I've only seen one Civic running low 13s. BUT it was a lopey trailer queen with the interior torn apart and gigantic slicks. My friends GTP beat him by about a few 10th of a second and he drove home happily ever after while the all mighty Civic was dragged home.

Last edited by charlie_rdstr_Z; 08-13-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:27 PM
SergEK

I never said my vert is faster than your 1 percent elite crew or a lot faster than your 99 percent ricer. I just know it is faster than your 99 percent.

No need to defend the Honda boys cause I know it's potential from the bright colored magazine and my community college drop out brother (who had a b16 which my Pontiac grand prix ate for lunch), I just know not everyone (99 percent) use it. Why don't we go for a drift match.

You should stop posting just to prove to the world what potential it has and that there are so many swaps going around. I don't have vinyl stickers and scissors doors so I will pass on the festival.

BTW Out of the 5 times I've been to LACR for Pontiac Drag Days, I've only seen one Civic running low 13s. BUT it was a lopey trailer queen with the interior torn apart and gigantic slicks. My friends GTP beat him by about a few 10th of a second and he drove home happily ever after while the all mighty Civic was dragged home.
No problem seeing as how even my old EK with just a swap would walk on your vert 13.60's on street driven BFGs

You could race a SOHC 4dr with 400whp on stock motor (vitara $125 pistons) he is shooting for mid 11's improving on his high 11's

You could run a 600whp DOHC Civic that runs mid 11's on street tires and 10's on slicks --- he put down a little over 400whp on stock block

Your problem is all you do is read glossy mags -- as I suspected though, you back down when you cant back up your ignorant comments
Old 08-13-2006, 10:22 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

No problem seeing as how even my old EK with just a swap would walk on your vert 13.60's on street driven BFGs

You could race a SOHC 4dr with 400whp on stock motor (vitara $125 pistons) he is shooting for mid 11's improving on his high 11's

You could run a 600whp DOHC Civic that runs mid 11's on street tires and 10's on slicks --- he put down a little over 400whp on stock block

Your problem is all you do is read glossy mags -- as I suspected though, you back down when you cant back up your ignorant comments
Wow....

I had a pork sandwich for dinner. You don't see me bragging.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:48 AM
SergEK

Wow....

I had a pork sandwich for dinner. You don't see me bragging.
Because you do nothing to brag about in the first place and talk down on people who are setting records and pushing the envelope --- you wouldnt know because you dont race and have no respect for real racers

As I expected.....all talk and no action

Quick Reply: SoCal Rice Fest