Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

02 WRX owner takes 350Z test drive

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 01:59 PM
Drews_WRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 02 WRX owner takes 350Z test drive

Test drove a $37,000 350Z 6spd. I was impressed with the shifter/transmission, seats, handling, exhaust tone, and interior features.

I WAS NOT impressed with how SLOW they were!!!! They must weight like 4,000 lbs. That 287 horsepower does them no good. Its a freaking expensive sports car and isnt really that fast. I would compare the torque/pull of the vehicle to maybe ah....just about every 4dr sedan out there. Nissan should have kept the turbo motor so u can make it faster for less money.

Dont get me wrong, its a tight *** car and the pimp factor when at the beach is priceless...........but its too slow for me to trade in my WRX. I guess I'll have to settle for the 350Z owners chicks when they jump in my car cause their man's car is TOO slow.

Happy motoring.........
Old 04-13-2003, 03:26 PM
dczoner

2 things:

1. No 350z chick will ever jump in to a WRX. From most accounts beautiful women prefer to be seen in beautiful cars. Therefore, they stay in the 350. Also, 350z men don't need a car to pimp on chicks, its a style that transcends their automobile.

2. Not sure exactly what you were doing wrong, but these will pull almost in line with a WRX (mind you we don't have no AWD, so we'll give you that 1st 60' ). Maybe the shift point is different from the scooby doo, I dunno. Also these cars do need their break-in period before they can break out.

See ya round!
Old 04-13-2003, 03:38 PM
Importlife.com

Default Re: 02 WRX owner takes 350Z test drive

um, if you can afford a $37,000 Z, why not trade in your wrx for the sti? And the Z is not slow. You are looking at similar stock performance #s to the wrx. you are probably used to the peaky power of your turbo and not the linear power of the Z.

I can cruise 120+ on hwy easy in the Z. Been in non modded wrx and 100+ seems like its pushing that 4 banger engine. I will never go back to 4 cylinders cuz of lack of top end, turbo/supercharged or not.

And i hope your car keeps getting you girls. thats funny.

HAPPY MOTORING

Originally posted by Drews_WRX
Test drove a $37,000 350Z 6spd. I was impressed with the shifter/transmission, seats, handling, exhaust tone, and interior features.

I WAS NOT impressed with how SLOW they were!!!! They must weight like 4,000 lbs. That 287 horsepower does them no good. Its a freaking expensive sports car and isnt really that fast. I would compare the torque/pull of the vehicle to maybe ah....just about every 4dr sedan out there. Nissan should have kept the turbo motor so u can make it faster for less money.

Dont get me wrong, its a tight *** car and the pimp factor when at the beach is priceless...........but its too slow for me to trade in my WRX. I guess I'll have to settle for the 350Z owners chicks when they jump in my car cause their man's car is TOO slow.

Happy motoring.........
Old 04-13-2003, 03:40 PM
Drews_WRX

about the chick comment, obviously just joking. The other comment regarding the performance aspect.......i will promise you that I will not lose to a 350. I have exhaust, pulleys. As far as stock for stock, I dont care, cause Im not stock, but a stock WRX will beat a 350 if the owner knows how to launch.

I hope I do see u around.
Old 04-13-2003, 03:45 PM
Importlife.com

it's too bad i live 3,000 miles away from you.

But if your car is not stock then you should compare to a non stock Z. And sure you have "THE BEAUTY OF AWD" so your launch should be better.

but i think you can agree that the trap speeds of the wrx isnt as high as you would like.

I am sure some Z owners who are spraying or have some bolt ons in your area wouldn't have any problems with your wrx + pulleys and exhaust.

But in all seriousness, i love the wrx. good luck with it and dont crash it.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:16 PM
dczoner

Drew -

Nothin but love brotha! Don't take my comments personally either, its just that we here on the forum are kinda getting used to people coming from every other car on the face of the planet to drop in to our forum and tell us we're slow, or the car doesn't handle well, or our car doesn't represent the heritage of the Z, or that our door-handles look ugly, or that we payed too much, or whatever. I don't know why we're getting this reputation as a community, but I guess it happens to every new make & model (I'm sure even some 350z owners go off to other forums to start something)

I'm glad to hear you gave the 350 a shot, and I think as more aftermarket products come out for the 350 it will become a very fun car to mod as well. I think the WRX and the 350 suit 2 completely different drivers, as well as offering beautiful platforms to create some serious race machines.

I still stand by my chick comment tho

Take care
Old 04-13-2003, 04:20 PM
frenzee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my Z about two months ago, however WRX was on top of my list and I test drove several before deciding to pass on it. My reason: It seemed way under-powered for a sports sedan, and I couldn't wait for the STi. Don't get me wrong - I'm not putting it down and I like the styling including the bugeye headlights, but my butt dyno kept saying "no way man" after every test drive.

So I'm not sure how or where you tested the Z, but I will say this: The Z "feels" slow, but it gives you that illusion becasue it has a low COG and a lightweight suspension and excellent seats. Honestly, even today I can't get used to how quickly other cars disappear in the rear view mirror and I'm not even pushing it past 5000 RPM. And as far as the weight, my track model is about 3,144 lb. sans the driver.

I suggest you take your WRX to the track and clock some real numbers before putting down the Z.
Old 04-13-2003, 04:28 PM
Aloharacing

Default Re: 02 WRX owner takes 350Z test drive

Test drove a $37,000 350Z 6spd.
Dont get me wrong, its a tight *** car and the pimp factor when at the beach is priceless...........but its too slow for me to trade in my WRX.
Trade in your car for the STi and it will beat a stock Z, no questions asked.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:13 PM
Drews_WRX

Aloha-no need to trade my car for an STI....it already beats a stock Z, no questions asked.

frenzee-i test drove it in Huntington Beach and my buddy just happened to get in my WRX and drive along with us. And to be honest, cause thats what I do.....the Z felt underpowered(my butt dyno is great), and it showed. Ive already made comments as to how tight the car is, it just needs more under the hood. You will NOT hear me say, "car doesn't handle well, or our car doesn't represent the heritage of the Z, or that our door-handles look ugly, or that we payed too much, the rear lights look ugly" etc....cause Nissan did everything right to the car, inside and out, except the engine. Maybe u want to check out my muffler tip sometime.....

dczoner-
Old 04-13-2003, 05:52 PM
TIGHT-Z

Default Ill win

I guarentee I will smoke you and I have a stock Z, I have raced three WRX and two were hooked up and one was not. This was at the drag strip also, well I beat all three with no sweat off my *****. Got them on video too if you would like to see. I mean come on man, my aunt drives a damn WRX for god sakes, all you have is AWD, get a real sports car then come see me in my Z. I live in DC by the way.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:48 PM
Aloharacing

Aloha-no need to trade my car for an STI....it already beats a stock Z, no questions asked.
Your modded wrx vs. stock Z is an apples to oranges comparison. I was using the STi example because it would beat the Z in stock form. If you wanna do modded Z vs. modded WRX, stick around for a couple more months...probably mid/late Fall, and you'll have some eager Z's with actual engine mods to run with.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:52 PM
Drews_WRX

tight-z- Ill drive to DC just to smoke you and make u shut up. Get real. I test drove a Z with my friend driving my car, and went at it. Not even close. We went from a roll, 5-10mph up to like 70mph. My WRX kept pullin HARD, now imagine what it would look like from a stop. No need for u to hype your car, I know they are tight.

And the links are..................
Old 04-13-2003, 10:27 PM
victory1

Default may i ask what you have placed in your car?

lets talk stock wrx vs. stock z,

some reliable car magazines say they are pretty close in the z's favor. "road and track march 2003"
road test summary p.137:

0-60 350z = 5.6sec wrx = 5.7 sec
0-100 350z = 14.2 wrx =16.0sec

if this is accurate,
try to visualise how far ahead the Z would be from the wrx.
1.8 sec at 100mph is roughly 52 feet.(v=d/t)

thats 4 cars (13 ft.cars) the z will be pulling on the wrx.

apples and apples pls.

ps, aftermarket turbo coming soon for the Z
Old 04-13-2003, 10:37 PM
Rob Nance

I like how this guy is a blatant troll yet people are not stooping to his level, and are remaining civil. The way it should be, what seperates true enthusiasts from...him.

Not like it gets heard, but like others have said, the Z does not "butt dyno" very well. It's one of the few cars that it's not just an excuse to say, "it just doesn't feel like it's accelerating that fast". I'll blow cars away, and it just doesn't feel near as fast. It's a little to smooth, and the powerband is a little to steady for it's own good. The VQ35 pulls from so low that it doesn't get that high end kick in the back like most comparable cars do.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:03 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally posted by Rob Nance

Not like it gets heard, but like others have said, the Z does not "butt dyno" very well.
100% correct.. Its very easy to hit 60mph on city streets without realizing it. It makes me feel that the Z can also handle a lot more power in the future with good mods.

Accelerating to 100mph in my buddy's GSX gave me a headache and felt like it was about to explode ... sure felt fast tho. Zooming to 100 in my Z feels like its not even trying.

As far as the beauty of the Z, it doesn't apply to the beach or chicks alone. It shouldnt even be compared to the WRX. The WRX is a econobox looking sleeper. Lots of potential/power but it looks like a fixed up tercel/neon. It's definitely designed for a true rally enthusiast looking for power on a budget. I do feel bad for most current WRX owners tho once the STI hits the streets. All they're going to be hearing from people is "so when are you trading this for a STI?"
Old 04-13-2003, 11:20 PM
dczoner

Why am I getting peed on? I try to be civil & a little jovial and once again, someone's gotta bring urination in to it. Thats just uncool. See if I ever invite you to a party in Huntington then...
Old 04-14-2003, 02:18 AM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im in so cal ill race you just tell me when and where you want to meet and we can race, i have beaten my friends WRX he has and exhuast/intake/BOV/ and supposably MBC, i dont know what pulleys will do on a WRX but i want to race you just to see how fast you think your car is, just tell me when and where to meet you.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:30 AM
Landbarger

What is better, having a car that accelerates without breaking a sweat or jarring the "butt dyno," or one that feels like it's about to die while throwing the drivers "butt dyno" back onto hard econobox seats? To each his own.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:37 AM
TIGHT-Z

Default Dude

Drew_WRX, first of all, your obviously jealous of all of us because we have a car that you will never have.
Second, your talking about how a car with mods will beat a stock car, no **** dumbass, thats the point of mods.
And last thing I gotta say is wait two-three months when real mods start coming out for the Z and then I wanna hear how your grocery getter is getting smoked by every Z in sight.
Dont you got anything better to do than try to start **** on the Z forum???

Oh yeah and at least our car isnt sold and endorced by Crocidile Dundee...

Old 04-14-2003, 05:42 AM
zpeedDemon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go away you troll!!

Quick Reply: 02 WRX owner takes 350Z test drive