Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Help with Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:37 PM
fairlady350z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Korki and all the other guys for the tips. when u upshift, do u guys let the clutch out slowly after shifting to the higher gear and apply some gas... or do you apply no gas and just let the clutch out all the way first, then gas it...

i know it might sound stupid, but i find that if i let the clutch out slowly and apply some gas the shift seems smoother, is that bad for the clutch?

thanks everybody... i just want to know the basics before going out on the streets by myself.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:38 PM
fairlady350z33

oh thanks nismo33, that would be great, i'd buy you lunch and get you gas if thats cool, PM me, i will be free for a few hours on Sunday.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:46 PM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

No worries PM sent
Old 04-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Korki Buchek

That's a pretty sweet wagon; is it an engine swap? I remember my buddy was saving up for B-16A for some time for his civic hatchback.

Also, you can do a few things for up shifting:

1) off the gas, on the clutch, then ease the clutch off and gas on. (which is fine for the car and what most people end up doing with time)
2) off the gas on the clutch, off the clutch, on the gas (which is fine also but you have to do it quickly not to bog down).
3) stay on the gas, clutch on, clutch off (*really* bad for the clutch, but allegedly makes you go faster).
4) If you're really cool, you rev the engine to the correct RPM for gear and speed and then let the clutch out.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Korki Buchek

BTW -- what I do, in all honesty, is let off the gas, floor the clutch, shift the lever as quickly as possible (you get used to where the gears are and it's really intuitive after a few tries) then disengage the clutch while getting back on the gas.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:38 PM
fairlady350z33

thanks korki, the last post is what i usually do, but i let the clutch out slow and apply a little gas... thanks for all the advice
Old 04-19-2007, 11:39 PM
fairlady350z33

as for you guys asking about parts, i actually do have some left from my 06 Z

i have the K&N intake, put on for about 200 miles, brand spankin new filter and all. i also have the HKS exhaust and the iso thermal spacer..

i will let u guys know once i decide what to do with teh parts
Old 04-19-2007, 11:48 PM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

Originally Posted by Korki Buchek
That's a pretty sweet wagon; is it an engine swap? I remember my buddy was saving up for B-16A for some time for his civic hatchback.

Also, you can do a few things for up shifting:

1) off the gas, on the clutch, then ease the clutch off and gas on. (which is fine for the car and what most people end up doing with time)
2) off the gas on the clutch, off the clutch, on the gas (which is fine also but you have to do it quickly not to bog down).
3) stay on the gas, clutch on, clutch off (*really* bad for the clutch, but allegedly makes you go faster).
4) If you're really cool, you rev the engine to the correct RPM for gear and speed and then let the clutch out.

Yup it's a b16 swap in my EF wagon.

1. is what most people do
2. guess that would work on the freeway
3. that's called power shifting only recommend it when you are drag racing
4. i do sometimes
Old 04-19-2007, 11:50 PM
xtasy127

the Zs got a weird clutch when you like start from a stop keep your foot on the clutch for a little longer. im a new Z driver too and the manual gear box is whack ahah but you'll get use to it its very different from normal manual cars.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Korki Buchek

I hear its because Nissan had issues with the clutch material. Something about finding material that was soft enough not to cause drive-train problems.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:56 AM
fairlady350z33

thanks xtasy127, so it isn't just me that gets this weird feeling about the clutch, i'm driven other manual cars a bit and the Z feels different.
Old 04-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Kegsbane

I want to use this thread to ask another newbie question, I hope nobody minds. You guys seem quite helpful, and I don't want to start a new thread.

When I'm downshifting, especially just one gear, I go like this. Say I'm in 5th gear:

gas on -> Keep gas on while clutching in instead of blipping in neutral -> rev-match, release gas if necessary, while shifting to 4th -> clutch out

I've searched all over for an answer to this. It seems like, as long as I'm rev matching, this shouldn't be any worse than what you're describing for upshifting (same sort of process in reverse)?

Anyway, it's getting to be a habit because my downshifts are soooo smooth, and fast.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Korki Buchek

I don't think clutch in + staying on gas is ever the best case scenario. But not sure about this.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:35 PM
Kegsbane

Originally Posted by Korki Buchek
I don't think clutch in + staying on gas is ever the best case scenario. But not sure about this.
I know it's sub-optimal, but if the difference in wear is small, it might be worth it to avoid an accident/save tranny or engine parts if I'm not good at regular downshifting.

I should note that for anything other than a one-gear downshift, I put it in neutral and blip it. Doing it the way I described earlier is simply quicker and more natural, like I'd been doing it my whole life, even though I've been driving a stick for < one year.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:44 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Shifting smoothly is all about timing.

If you are going along in 1st gear at 5k rpm, then you quickly shift to 2nd and pop the clutch out, you are going to get a lot of jerking around in the car.

If you time the shift such that the RPMs fall to where they should be, before letting out the clutch in 2nd, then you will get a buttery-smooth shift.

The Z's clutch is pretty friendly high RPM launches (without burning). Use this to your advantage. To help avoid riding the clutch, launch at >2k rpms. If you do this, the car has almost ZERO chance of stalling. Since you won't fear stalling, then you won't ride the clutch.

When you are slowing down, keep the car in gear until the very last moment until you stop. If you go TOO slow, which is unlikely, the car will buck a little bit. If it does, no big deal, just put the clutch in.

On a hill, you can use the handbrake to help you out. Pull it up but hold in the thumb-button. Rev to 2.5k, and let the clutch out. When you feel the car roll forward and start dragging against the handbrake, that's when you let go.

The biggest danger on a hill is letting the clutch out too fast without revving high enough. The second biggest danger on a hill is revving too high which results in burning the clutch. That's why I say try to rev about 2.5k, this should prevent any chance of stalling but won't burn the clutch.

Once you feel more confident with shifting. Try rev-matching on downshifts as people have said. I prefer to double-clutch it when I rev-match to downshift. Others prefer not to double-clutch. It's all about personal preference.

Rev-matching will save your synchros a lot of abuse and will make downshifting buttery smooth. Always overshoot the RPMs rather than undershoot when rev-matching.

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 04-28-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Korki Buchek

The thing you're worried about with downshifting with the gas pedal held down is the clutch rather than the synchros.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:55 PM
fairlady350z33

thanks guys, keep the good advice coming... i've been busy the last few weeks, but when i'm available i'll hit you up nismo, i still have your #.

Thanks

Ted
Old 04-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Kegsbane

**** it. I'm never going to get an answer I like.

I'm just going to learn how to downshift properly. That will negate the question entirely.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:19 AM
espitia350

Here's some advice I can give you:

1. Try these forums: http://www.standardshift.com/forum/ MANY useful tips and it helped me tremendously

2. Don't be afraid to stall. It's normal when you first start learning. Over time, you'll gain confidence and experience.

3. Be patient. Learning to drive stick takes time, especially with a car like the 350z. I've learned that your going to have days where you drive well and it feels GOOD, and your going to have days where you wish you never got yourself a manual trans. Don't give up. For me, it was well worth it. It's a great skill to have and to master.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:43 AM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fairlady350z33
i know it might sound stupid, but i find that if i let the clutch out slowly and apply some gas the shift seems smoother, is that bad for the clutch?
You need to be careful with letting out the clutch slowly while being on the gas. It will smooth things out, but will also kill your clutch over time. If you shift at low RPMs it won't be that bad, but if you shift around 5-6K RPMs and let the clutch out slowly, you'll burn the clutch. This is also known as riding the clutch.

Take things one step at a time. First concentrate on getting the car moving from a stop. Once you can confidently drive the car without stalling, move on to other techniques.

That standardshift site is good. There was another good site, but I can't find it. Also try the videos here http://www.bmwm5.com/greg/school/

Quick Reply: Help with Manual Transmission