Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Help with Manual Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:56 AM
pay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nismo33
I'm kinda close to your area so if you want to learn on a beater you can try my daily driver out.

lol virg when you gonna let me drive that beast!!

anyways i can help you out if you wanna come out to the valley im free for the enxt few weekends this sunday is free all day
Old 05-10-2007, 02:33 PM
espitia350

Driving stick is like being with a woman.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:05 PM
fairlady350z33

thanks espita , and sensi, great sites, i'll def. check them out .. and pay PM me with some info, i'm def. down to meet up and learn stick. i'm getting alot better now , and never stall, but now I have a new problem, going uphill!!! it freaks me out when i'm stopped in the middle of the slant, afraid i'm gona roll back and hit the guy behind me..

anyone want to help me out goin uphill?

Ted
Old 05-10-2007, 04:20 PM
espitia350

NP Ted. A few final comments. Make sure you learn the handbrake method first. Try on small hills, and then work your way up to very steep hills. It'll make learning much easier, believe me. As you get better, you can learn different techniques for uphill shifting. Basics first. Here's a video that might be helpful. If you have a few minutes sometime it might be worth it to watch.

How to Drive Uphill with a Manual Transmission: Learn How to Use a Stick Shift

P.S Try to find someone who will lend you their car to learn uphill shifting. This isn't something you want to put your clutch through. I learned using my uncles old ford ranger, and believe me, it's not going to be easy. But keep trying and you will get used to it.

Good luck

Last edited by espitia350; 05-10-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:59 AM
fairlady350z33

thanks for the link buddy, i guess i shouldn't take it up steep hills for a while since the car is still new, i'll just stick to level ground and slight hills for now... hey virg, you gona let me use your car goin uphill? haha
Old 05-11-2007, 12:34 PM
pay

Originally Posted by fairlady350z33
thanks for the link buddy, i guess i shouldn't take it up steep hills for a while since the car is still new, i'll just stick to level ground and slight hills for now... hey virg, you gona let me use your car goin uphill? haha

i take it you dont want my help?
Old 05-11-2007, 12:40 PM
sibble

i first learned to drive on a jeep wrangler almost 10 years ago (was a stick of course) and got my own car (which was automatic) like a week afterwards...

i bought this z on april first, she has like 3.8k miles on her and i think ive been doin pretty damn good shifting her...
shifting while driving her fast is easy
its driving conservatively is what i havent mastered yet

sometimes ill be like 300-400 rpm's off when tryin to match, but i'll tell you what helps a LOT...

I shift like 100X better when i've got a real good buzz goin on, not talking **** faced, im talkin like 6pack deep, even my girl said she cant believe how much better i shift when ive been drinking

so go chill with a couple beers, relax, and take her out at like 10-11pm when theres not as much people on the road
you'd probably be surprised how much better you shift when your mind/body is relaxed

*by the way, i dont support drinking&driving lol thx

Last edited by sibble; 05-11-2007 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:46 PM
pay

Originally Posted by sibble
i first learned to drive on a jeep wrangler almost 10 years ago (was a stick of course) and got my own car (which was automatic) like a week afterwards...

i bought this z on april first, she has like 3.8k miles on her and i think ive been doin pretty damn good shifting her...

sometimes ill be like 300-400 rpm's off when tryin to match, but i'll tell you what helps a LOT...

I shift like 100X better when i've got a real good buzz goin on, not talking **** faced, im talkin like 6pack deep, even my girl said she cant believe how much better i shift when ive been drinking

so go chill with a couple beers, relax, and take her out at like 10-11pm when theres not as much people on the road
you'd probably be surprised how much better you shift when your mind/body is relaxed

Old 05-11-2007, 12:47 PM
pay

Originally Posted by sibble

i drive a little better buzzed im talking like 6 151 and cokes deep
Old 05-11-2007, 12:56 PM
soleil
NolaZcc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just wanted to say there's a bunch of great ppl on here..i wish yall were around when i was learning how to drive a stick....that was about 15 yrs ago..hehe..i know now....big ups to this site
Old 05-11-2007, 01:02 PM
fairlady350z33

Default hey buddy

Originally Posted by pay
i take it you dont want my help?
haha of course I want your help too, i need all the help I can get. I just replied to Virg because he gave me a PM with his # and when he's available to teach me.

PM me your info too and we can setup a time, go grab some food or drinks and start driving..

THANKS guys

Ted
Old 05-11-2007, 01:03 PM
fairlady350z33

Default yah thanks

Originally Posted by soleil350z
just wanted to say there's a bunch of great ppl on here..i wish yall were around when i was learning how to drive a stick....that was about 15 yrs ago..hehe..i know now....big ups to this site
yah very true, ALOT of helpful people on here willing to contribute their time, good advice, and their cars for me to learn on...

thanks to everyone who contributed advice, links, and time to reply to this thread, keep it coming
Old 05-19-2007, 12:50 AM
mrchu25

wow, your pretty close to me . am from alhambra and i bought my Z about a month ago from a guy from Arcadia LOL . am still not really good with stick going to 1st to 2nd is tuff.. 80% of the time it jerks a lil. , but if i go super slow its smooth lol
Old 05-19-2007, 12:14 PM
fairlady350z33

Originally Posted by mrchu25
wow, your pretty close to me . am from alhambra and i bought my Z about a month ago from a guy from Arcadia LOL . am still not really good with stick going to 1st to 2nd is tuff.. 80% of the time it jerks a lil. , but if i go super slow its smooth lol

haha yah, maybe we can get together and have those other 2 guys help us out... im getting better, but nowhere close to other drivers i see. so smooth and silky shifting.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:53 PM
Korki Buchek

If I don't double clutch, it jerks. I've been driving a stick a long time, but I'm heavy-footed -- like an elephant.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:58 PM
fairlady350z33

haha hows your car korki, i saw it in the other thread you got it back.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:26 PM
Korki Buchek

Thanks for asking. Its at West Covina Nissan now, I haven't seen it since the impound and it was pretty dirty from the cops dusting it and dark in the "printing room."

The body is a little rough in a few places that I noticed and from what I hear at WCN: Doors are scratched, front bumper is actually messed up in a serious way now (it had a scrape underneath before), rims are fuxxed, hatch doesn't seat perfectly, etc., etc.

They did a bit of a job on the interior -- i.e. stole my shift **** (and to replace it slammed the stock job back on there without the bottom nut); It looked like they tore up the boot as well, scratched up the seats pretty bad, ripped off the dead peddle and left it in the seat, ripped off some vents or something, stole everything down to my law firm recruiting yo-yo.

I didn't start the engine and am waiting for the final word from WCN, in the interim the car apparently runs with a new key. As far as mods the only thing I noticed missing was the e-manage, which is bright blue and hard to miss. Pop-charger is still there, exhaust is still there, etc.

I'm waiting until Tuesday to head to WCN and figure this all out.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:21 PM
fairlady350z33

glad you got it back and i hope they find those phuckers who stole it... is your insurance gona cover the repairs? while staying on topic, what are you driving in the mean time? if its rented and its stick, i wana watch and learn =)
Old 05-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to post this site previously, but couldn't find the link

http://www.318ti.org/notebook/shifting/
Old 05-24-2007, 06:16 AM
Korki Buchek

No rental as yet, getting driven around by girlfriend (superlame!). I picked the Z up from WCN. Now it's on to the police and the body shop. I drove it for about 40 minutes. It was very weird driving after not driving for a week or so. And I'm definitely not as smooth.