Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Huge speeding crackdown in Malibu

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Z-T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Huge speeding crackdown in Malibu

For those who drive the Malibu twisties, just be warned that Malibu and CHP have joined to stop speeding dead in its tracks.
Yestrday, a couple miles north of the Rock Store, police were out in force with about 20 cars, a CHP Camaro, motorcycles and a CHP Winnebago trailer - all devoted to stop speeding. They were shooting laser, radar, etc from the wildest locations (wayyyy above the mountain shooting down and catching speeders 2 miles later).
When I pulled up to this operation I thought there had been a HUGE accident to justify so many officers...but it was just a big old crackdown.
I think this was mostly aimed at motorcycles, but cars were being pulled over for anything - from no front plate to speeding.
They got me for no front plate.
I've been riding or driving those hills for 3 years, with bikes and cars, and I have never seen an operation like this one (anywhere in SoCal).
I don't know if some people here enjoy a weekend drive with their Z's, but if you do, you might want to stay away from Malibu for a while...
Old 07-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Myfirst06350Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just up Stunt last night. I hope they don't coming to that side.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:14 PM
stylett9

just saw a review on the channel 9 news at noon. Supposedly the *meanest cop in the US* or so they called him, is heading the operation. He has been given this title because supposedly he has issued the most tickets in one year. The guy seemed like a jerk from the interview.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like they need to make some money cuz the check they got from mel gibson ran out.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got pinched up there on a run last year and so did 3 other Z's for speeding. The CHP moto was sitting at a top of the hill waiting for the caravan to hit the straight. I fought it and won but it could have cost me a couple hundred in fines. He tagged me at 57 on a 35 zone.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Z-T

I'll look up the interview on Ch-9. Should be interesting.
My buddy who drove his car got hit for no front plate and a few registration and tag related infractions-little stuff that just needed paperwork sorted. Since he was down from SF visiting, it'll be a hassle, nothing more, to get all that cleared from SF. To say the least, we felt like they were wasting everyone's time (and maybe their own? - couldn't LA use 30 cops somewhere else on a Sunday afternoon?).
I don't have a problem with a speeding ticket, especially when you're up there to have some fun (you play, you pay). But what a waste of time to pull over EVERY car and bike over to FIND something to ticket for...
Old 07-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Z-T

A little old maybe, but here's some info from Malibu Times:

Cracking down on canyon speeding

Monday, July 02, 2007

A joint effort between the CHP and Sheriff's Department will put the brake on canyon speeders.

By Vicki Talbot / Special to The Malibu Times

Although accidents on Pacific Coast Highway have involved many deaths in the past years-two people died in highway accidents in the past month and a half-and garnered headline attention around the world, as with the February 2006 Enzo Ferrari crash at a speed of more than 162 mph, local law enforcement agencies and a county supervisor are focusing safety efforts on canyon driving in the unincorporated areas of the Santa Monica Mountains. However, officials say that the program, "Operation Safe Canyons," will have a "collateral" effect on highway driving.

Complaints of noise and speeding, as well as accidents, some of them fatal, throughout the canyons have prompted the program that will put the brakes on exhibition speeding on these roads. Those who violate the laws by speeding or other unsafe driving practices will find it much harder to get away with it. "Operation Safe Canyon" is a collaboration of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Malibu/Lost Hills Station, the California Highway Patrol West Valley area and Los Angeles County Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky.

At a press conference Monday on Mulholland Highway near Kanan Dume Road, Yaroslavsky, CHP Area Commander Stephen Webb and Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff's Station Capt. Tom Martin announced their stepped-up presence. "Look at the skid-marks on the highway. That is evidence of unsafe driving," said Martin, pointing to Mulholland's blacktop at an overlook.

The joint effort will allow Sheriff's deputies and CHP officers to patrol both incorporated and unincorporated areas within the entire 500 miles of roads that are in the Santa Monica Mountains.

"We intend to save lives," Yaroslavsky said. "Law enforcement is coming down like a ton of bricks."

Residents' complaints of noise and unsafe driving conditions, combined with two fatalities and 60 collisions since the first of the year, illustrate the problems, Webb said.

There is a demographic involved, CHP Officer Leland Tang said. "These are men who are single, in their mid- 20s to early 40s, who have large discretionary incomes for high-tech cars and motorcycles. To physically handle it, the CHP needed to make this partnership."

Areas such as Tuna Canyon, Decker Canyon, Mulholland Highway, Piuma Stunt Loop and Saddle Peak are "popular spots," he said.

Exhibition speeders set up Web sites on the Internet advertising their next race or event, Webb said. They announce sites all throughout the canyons and "use cell phones to move them to the other side of the canyon," when they see us. Patrols have already started to drop the number of violations.

"We have issued 800 citations since Jan. 1 in the area," Webb said. "That is including 625 violations for speeding and six DUI arrests."

With a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and funding provided through the office of Supervisor Yaroslavsky, the CHP and Malibu/Lost Hills Sheriff's deputies will be able to patrol "24/7," he said. The CHP is planning to attend town meetings to get the word out.

Exhibition speeders like to "congregate here in the middle of nowhere. It's become a magnet," he said. "If you don't see a cruiser here now, there's a good chance there is one around the next corner."

However, the problem is not just safety. Noise plagues residents all night long. Vehicles that have large exhausts, cars that are lowered, supercharged and chipped are street racing and crossing double-yellow lines, burning out from a stop and pulling back on turns just before they run off the cliff. One resident, who did not wish to be identified, said these racers routinely rescue each other with their own equipment, towing cars up embankments and picking up wrecks.

Some area residents expressed gratitude for the increased patrols. They complimented law enforcement for their efforts.

In Malibu, Pacific Coast Highway is considered a main feeder for these forays into the mountains. The speeders and exhibition drivers tend to take the less popular routes, such as Tuna, Decker and Las Flores canyons into the mountains. Patrols will be extended to find the feeder routes, and Sheriff's deputies and CHP officers will be working overtime in the region.

"They will impound, jail and arrest offenders," Yaroslavsky said. "This is no joke."

"Exhibitionist speeders race in the Santa Monica Mountains, among the most dangerous roads in the county." Webb said.

As for safety on Pacific Coast Highway, law enforcement and county officials say their efforts will have a "collateral" effect on catching unsafe drivers who use the highway to get to the canyons. Also, six traffic signs that show how fast drivers are going on the highway were recently installed and enforcement is stepped up overall during summertime.
Here's a link to some video: http://www.cbs2.com/video/?id=44243@kcbs.dayport.com

Last edited by Z-T; 07-23-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:54 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thx for the heads up..i've been avoiding the canyons for a few weeks already. too many incidents. angeles crest is crawling with the po too.

There is a demographic involved, CHP Officer Leland Tang said. "These are men who are single, in their mid- 20s to early 40s, who have large discretionary incomes for high-tech cars and motorcycles. To physically handle it, the CHP needed to make this partnership."
LOL.... cuz we ladies are too fragile for such driving
Old 07-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Z-T

You picked the exact same sentance that popped out at me while skimming the article. Lol.
Only men with large discretionary incomes for high tech cars/bikes?
Just lol.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Everything comes in stages. When operation safe canyons was first introduced, there were a ton of patrols in the area, but that like everything else dies down after awhile.

BTW, the police have been known to clock people going up stunt and issuing citations when they reached the top.

I was about to post a new thread about another malibu run, but I guess that will wait for awhile. Though I do know of other car groups who have driven the area in recent weeks without any trouble.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Z-T

As with all canyon driving, you take that risk of getting in trouble if you're speeding, whether there's a crackdown or not.
I too thought of a new Malibu run a week ago/post up about it, but after this weekend, I'd advise against it. I saw CHP on Latigo, Vergines and Mullholland - they were everywhere, but the "congregation" of 20 officers 2 miles north of the Rock Store, pulling everyone over whether they were speeding or not, was insane...
Old 07-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Wendy
L A d y z 3 3

Thanks For Sharing!
Old 07-24-2007, 10:33 AM
IbarraZ33

^^ +1, im going to be heading out to Malibu today, so im guessing im going to have to drive extra slow!!
Old 07-24-2007, 01:36 PM
MAR ONER

damn, what a shame. Oh well, it's true though. There will be more areas for us to find. California is filled with many canyons that some cops, and some people, still don't know about. I wonder if this is the same for GMR? Hmmm. Or Turnbull.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:37 PM
MAR ONER

I knew it!!!! I told soo many people, watch after FF3 tokyo drift comes out, ricers will switch from civics, to 240's, and the canyons will get ruined.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:21 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

I've been hearing that cops are staking out GMR too... I don't frequent that area too much but I'm sure that they've gotten wind of what goes on up there.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:06 PM
MAR ONER

damn damn damn. Hmmm, guess i'll just have to run the touge in my dreams, cause no running car, and too much pork in the mountains.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:09 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

its not pch only canyons right?
Old 07-24-2007, 10:36 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

there's always cops on pch, especially bike cops hiding slightly behind a pole or mailbox, aiming their radar/laser/lidar gun straight at the traffic.
my v1 always goes nuts on pch around the busy parts
Old 07-25-2007, 12:16 AM
FLZ_Boy

It's near the end of the month. What better way to turn a profit for the state general funds (besides cigarette tax)?

Quick Reply: Huge speeding crackdown in Malibu