Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Help Please. Need advice on selecting a house

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:01 AM
ecorona6

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by type7
Thanks, this is a very helpful website.
No problem. Just consider that putting in $100k into a home in a better neighborhood can easily bring up the value twice as much as you put in. Homes are always a good investment to remodel. Just make sure you put alot effort into the kitchen, floors and bathroom. Good luck!

Last edited by ecorona6; 09-19-2007 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to think like a typical home buying person and that means with children - I'm not having any children (ever!) but bought my house in a good better neighborhood with a good local school. The person likely buying your house from you will be the one you need to think about too.

No home in SoCal is likely to go up in value in the short run - the next 12-24 months I would guess are going to be in a correction direction. My home went up in value over 250% in the first 36 months I owned it - it's now dropped about 15% and will likely to continue to drift downwards. It will never drop below what I paid for it pre-boom. Homes will continue to appreciate in price once the market has corrected again - there are still tens of thousands of jobs pouring into SoCal and the diverse business base here suffers any one or two industry drop that knocks some cities out.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:52 PM
type7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone! I really appreciated.
Now, I just have some more questions.
What's a fair offer price for a 527k house and 580k house?
Old 09-19-2007, 04:50 PM
35TH ANY

Thanks everyone! I really appreciated.
Now, I just have some more questions.
What's a fair offer price for a 527k house and 580k house?
Comps are needed to answer that question with any amount of seriousness. Are you working with a Realtor? If you're looking for a recommendation for a Realtor PM me. No, it's not me and I get nothing out of it.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:09 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

Most important, how do I find out which house has better quality construction?
home inspector!
i think cali might not actually require home inspectors to be licensed.. but you'd definitely want to find one that has experience and happy customers under his or her belt.
here's a link to the legal info regarding home inspectors, it might be of help:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...file=7195-7199
Old 09-19-2007, 07:53 PM
jlimquest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buyers Market

My advice for you is to take your time as it is definitely a Buyers Market. Look at the available areas around the approximity of your work & once you've selected a specific location you like then walk thru the available listings. I would recommend looking in the Hacienda Heights, Rowland Heights, Walnut, Diamond Bar & Chino Hills locations. These I believe should be within 15 miles (less than 30 minutes) from your work. I would not recommend Phillips Ranch as it is still part of an unincorporated area within the City of Pomona & as you know in Real Estate "location....location....location" is everything. Remember you can always fix or upgrade your house in a nice neighborhood, but you cannot fix your neighbors. If you prefer newer houses, your best value & probability for appreciation would be Chino Hills. If distance is a preference then HH, RH, WAL & DB are great locations. You have to remember, that you are buying this house not only to live in but as an investment as well therfore resale potential should always be considered (i.e. schools districts, security, crime statistics, growth potential, master planned communities, demographics, price appreciation, equity build up, proximity to jobs, etc.). The average turnaround in So. Cal is 5-7 years, were in home owners sell to move up (growing family) or down size. With the interest rates at a 30 year low & the availability of a lot of houses for sale. You have a great opportunity to secure a very good deal. You may also want to consider asking the Seller to pay some of your non-recurring closing cost, interest rate buy down, downpayment assistance, in addition to a professional physical inspection, one year home warranty & possible repairs if needed. As always make an offer after reviewing the most recent comparables (within 6 mos. as required by lenders) that is contingent not only in you qualifying for a loan but for the house to also qualify & appraise no less than the sales price. Be aware of title requirements, escrow & lender fees, purchase contract timing & contingency deadlines as you do not want to risk your deposit.

I have pulled the active listings below to give you an idea of what are available within the $500-600K range in these areas built 1970+ with at least 1600 sqft, Central AC & 3+ bedrooms.

Click the following URL to see the Listings:

http://www.mrmlsmatrix.com/matrix/pu...x?ID=982761427

Let me know if you need any assistance or would like to see any of these homes &/or other locations. I've been servicing these areas for the past 22 years. Buying & selling Real Estate is a very complex transaction. It is most probably going to be one of your largest life time investments.

As an added bonus, I will give you at close of escrow $2K as a Buyers rebate ( great for Z mods)!!! This offer is open to other forum members as Buyers rebate or referral fee . Remember, our commission is paid by the Seller & not by the Buyer. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Jeff Lim
Quest Real Properties
1930 So. Brea Canyon Rd. Ste. 200
Diamond Bar, CA 91765
Cell: (909)994-6966
jlimquest@earthlink.net

Last edited by jlimquest; 09-20-2007 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:10 PM
type7

Originally Posted by oneDIRTYz
home inspector!
i think cali might not actually require home inspectors to be licensed.. but you'd definitely want to find one that has experience and happy customers under his or her belt.
here's a link to the legal info regarding home inspectors, it might be of help:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...file=7195-7199

That's what exactly I am looking for. Thank you so much!
Old 09-20-2007, 04:12 PM
onedirtyz
my car is dirty

no problem
Old 09-20-2007, 04:17 PM
type7

Hello Jeff,
Thank you for your information. You are very experienced and helpful, I wish I found u earlier. I am currently working with an agent. I don't know if I am allowed to swithch to a new agent cuz she has been working with me for a few weeks now.

Maybe you can introduce me to some experienced inspector.

Last edited by type7; 09-20-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:42 PM
jlimquest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you sign an Exclusive Buyers Representation Agreement w/ the other Agent? If not, then you have the option of using other Realtors. I personally don't use it as I want my Buyers to have the option if they feel I am not providing them the service that they require.

BTW, here's one of the Inspectors I use (Senel):

http://www.senel.net/eng/

Last edited by jlimquest; 09-20-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:06 AM
type7

No, I didn't sign any contract yet.