Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Getting a dent fixed...how are the bodyshops?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 09:05 AM
qirex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a dent fixed...how are the bodyshops?

Well, I went for an estimate today at a shop here in Newark NJ. I'm moving to San Diego in 5 weeks. With the car culture what it is in Cali, should I wait to get the work done there? Are repairs more, or less expensive than the rest of the country?

I have a 3cm scrape, depressed 3mm in my pass door. Both shops I've been to told me that I have to have the door repainted. The first place was some super-ghetto shop. They quoted me $500 for the work. The second place is owned by a the uncle of the nissan master tech at my dealership. This tech is a really great guy and he just got a Z himself. The two times he's worked on my car - he always sez it hurts him to see the small ding so he sent me to see his brother.

His uncle seemed like a really knowledable guy. he says he works on MBs, bmw all the time. He told me that he would use the paint code provided, but b/c the silverstone uses ~7colors sometimes you have to "work it" to get it just right. he quoted me $250 to fix the ding and repaint the whole door.

Does this sound right?

p.s. I was gonna order a spoiler and have him put that on too. he made a pained face and said "why you wanna do-a-that? The car, the design, is so a pretty" He told me a story about seeing the 350z at the auto show last year. He remembered loving the design, but worried that "the kids" would ruin it with spoilers and the like. "when you see a 911...you no see a spoiler no?" I thought is was pretty cool that he helped talk me OUT of getting more stuff done. I guess he never saw the 911 GT2 or GT3!!