Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

SES light came on this morning (P1273)..

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:11 AM
ginobetterfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES light came on this morning (P1273)..

I know its the Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor 1... My mechanic reset it and its gone, but im sure itll be back... My question is what do i do about it? Right now i have the plenum spacer, Berk cats and stock exhaust...

I know in the PAST i would just take it to WCN and not even worry about the mods and have Harri take care of me... i believe those days are long gone now (well DUH, Harri is not there anymore)..

Should i still take it to WCN or some other dealership? Would they b@tch and moan about my mods?
Is this something i can take care of at my mechanic? Will they be able to get a new sensor and swap it in?
Should i check for exhaust leaks? or is this something else?

Basically what do i do now? i want the light to never come back...

Thanks in advance..
Old 06-06-2008, 08:13 AM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

If it's the ar codes are throwing does that mean your o2 sensors may be bad? Do the berk cats have OT attached to them? I believe our cars have four o2 sensors total.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:23 AM
THE_SCHROED

I get this code all of the time. My solution is carry around a portable OBD2 code reader. I just clear it when it comes on. I started getting it about a year ago and it will stop for a few months and then come back. I have narrowed it down to my exhaust because I took my intake off and it still comes on. I have Borla exhaust with turbo xs test pipes. If you find the answer get back to me.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:58 AM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by THE_SCHROED
I get this code all of the time. My solution is carry around a portable OBD2 code reader. I just clear it when it comes on. I started getting it about a year ago and it will stop for a few months and then come back. I have narrowed it down to my exhaust because I took my intake off and it still comes on. I have Borla exhaust with turbo xs test pipes. If you find the answer get back to me.
see thats the thing... you have TPs so im not TOO surprised that you are getting this code, you know what im saying?

i have cats (and ive had them for quite some time) and this is the first time it threw this code...

im hoping (if it comes back at all) is that its just a bad sensor that needs to be replaced... does anyone have a schematic of where this sensor is located?
Old 06-06-2008, 08:59 AM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by nismo33
If it's the ar codes are throwing does that mean your o2 sensors may be bad? Do the berk cats have OT attached to them? I believe our cars have four o2 sensors total.
not sure what an OT is ... but there is an O2 sensor in each cat...
Old 06-06-2008, 09:33 AM
nismo33
BoNe SToCK BaSe

Originally Posted by ginobetterfly
not sure what an OT is ... but there is an O2 sensor in each cat...
Oops that's what I meant if the cats have the o2 attached. Hmm did your mechanic check if the O2 are still good?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:48 AM
stylett9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a bad air fuel mixture sensor. Do you have intakes? Try hitting up Tim@performance. Tim was able to take care of me when i had mods, try PM'ing him.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:30 AM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by stylett9
sounds like a bad air fuel mixture sensor. Do you have intakes? Try hitting up Tim@performance. Tim was able to take care of me when i had mods, try PM'ing him.
ok cool.. ill see if it comes back and if it does ill go to tim... i dont have an intake, but im about to put on the popcharger and the titek airduct..
Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 AM
gimpster621

i would run non foulers. should go away. i had crawford and kinetix HFC ran it both with non foulers and had no problems
Old 06-06-2008, 12:33 PM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by gimpster621
i would run non foulers. should go away. i had crawford and kinetix HFC ran it both with non foulers and had no problems
ok im gonna search non-foulers... but if you can provide where i can pick some up i would really appreciate it

so it sounds like its not a big deal right? i mean, i've been bummed all day walking with my head down real sad haha... sounds like its not too big of an issue?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:40 PM
ginobetterfly

i've had the hfcs for about 4 months.... could it be possible that we damaged the O2 sensor when installing and the SES just came on NOW (4 months later)?? or it doesnt work like that?
Old 06-06-2008, 12:49 PM
gimpster621

ok im gonna search non-foulers... but if you can provide where i can pick some up i would really appreciate it

so it sounds like its not a big deal right? i mean, i've been bummed all day walking with my head down real sad haha... sounds like its not too big of an issue?
hmmm u can get them from home depot. do a quick search here. im sure someone has the size you need or even check with vendors. im positive some small shops on this forum carry them
Old 06-06-2008, 12:51 PM
gimpster621

i've had the hfcs for about 4 months.... could it be possible that we damaged the O2 sensor when installing and the SES just came on NOW (4 months later)?? or it doesnt work like that?
doubt its from an improper install. general experience is HFC dont throw SES but sometimes they do. hell i went back to stock cats for a bit and still put on non foulers on them too lol
Old 06-06-2008, 02:28 PM
stylett9

if you damaged the 02 sensor, then you probably would have experianced it from the start, along with severe acceleration issues. Besides, you said you already determined as the air fuel ratio sensor due to the specific code.

The Berk HFC's already have non foulers pretty much built into them. I really doubt the HFC's are the cause. I had my CEL go on for the air/fuel mixture before and after it's reset, it will take about a week or two to come back. Tim@performance replaced mine under warrenty about 5k miles ago and hasn't came back yet.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:34 PM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by stylett9
if you damaged the 02 sensor, then you probably would have experianced it from the start, along with severe acceleration issues. Besides, you said you already determined as the air fuel ratio sensor due to the specific code.

The Berk HFC's already have non foulers pretty much built into them. I really doubt the HFC's are the cause. I had my CEL go on for the air/fuel mixture before and after it's reset, it will take about a week or two to come back. Tim@performance replaced mine under warrenty about 5k miles ago and hasn't came back yet.
ok so would you recommend me going to change it now or wait to see if it comes back? i just want to make sure there nothing else at play here... a bad sensor sounds pretty harmless..
Old 06-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Fooshe

Sell the damn thing and buy my car! (hahaha)

Sounds like a sensor to me.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:05 PM
stylett9

ok so would you recommend me going to change it now or wait to see if it comes back? i just want to make sure there nothing else at play here... a bad sensor sounds pretty harmless..

from what your saying, it seems like a faulty sensor which is harmless. If you can get it covered under warrenty, or have to pay it then great, if not, your car might run slighly rich or lean. I'd say your best bet is to call or PM Tim@performance. I don't want to give you wrong information. lol
Old 06-06-2008, 05:03 PM
ginobetterfly

Originally Posted by Fooshe
Sell the damn thing and buy my car! (hahaha)

Sounds like a sensor to me.
haha... i really should
Old 06-06-2008, 05:25 PM
THE_SCHROED

I have been meaning on stopping by the dealer to see if they will do somethin about it.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:17 AM
ginobetterfly

well.... the light is back

looks like ill be taking the car in to the dealer..

Quick Reply: SES light came on this morning (P1273)..