Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

MY CAR JUST UP AND DIED (opinions/help)

Old 11-17-2008, 04:39 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MY CAR JUST UP AND DIED (opinions/help)

ok here is what happened...
this was NOT limp mode...
only motor mods: KNN typhoon

a few days ago i was driving around running some errands and i pulled into a parking lot for some directions, it was pretty hot out, about 100+ degrees or so, when i got back in the car and turned the key THE CAR WOULD NOT START .... the motor would not turn over, there were no noises, nothing, nada. the starter wouldn't move, the dash lights would come on just like normal but every time i held the clutch in and turned the key NOTHING would happen! so i called my friend up and waited about 10-15 mins and then i got back into the car and tried again and BAM... the car started but when i tried to give it a little gas it was bogging and there was a CEL so i just turned it off... once i tried to turn it on again it was doing the same thing as before (motor not turning over) then all of a sudden, Vroom... the car started... no CEL or nothing. it was running normal, checked the temp, temp was NORMAL... i drove the car for the rest of the day and later on into the night with no issues (drove about another 100 miles that day/night with no issues)

keep in mind i DO have a aftermarket alarm...

the next day i went into the garage, started the car, no probs. was getting ready for a meet, went to wash my car, finished that, drove home, got ready and left. there were fires EVERYWHERE so on the way to the meet i had to sit at a dead stop for 10-20 mins at a time if i was moving it was not for very long. i was keeping an eye on engine temp and everything was normal so i was not worried much. about 45 mins of pretty much sitting still again like before the car just BOGGed out... no throttle response, car would not get any fuel, after about 3-4 secs the car DIED in the road. this time it happened WHILE the car was at idle. it pretty much sounded like something KILLED my fuel or ecu. i have never seen something like that happen in a car and i have had a few high tuned hondas and i have bumped into many different kinna issues but this was very different. you can tell when turning the key if a car is not getting spark or fuel just by the sound, this car is not giving ANY SOUNDs!

my after market alarm DOES have something called CAR JACK MODE in which case would COMPLETELY KiLL the cars ecu and fuel and NOT allow the car to turn over... im going to disconnect the alarm later tonight or tomorrow and see if that makes any changes, if not, has anyone ever heard of this type of issue!?

thanks in advance for any help or info provided... i cant get the car to a mechanic to plug into the ecu so im kinna screwed there, if anyone knows anyone that has one of those machines (dont know whats its called, sorry) that they can swing over and help with a simple diagnosis i would GLADLY pay over what ever gas you might use. i really dont know what else to do with this... nissan is still pretty foreign to me even after a year. damn honda head
Old 11-17-2008, 04:50 PM
FastZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chris im so sry to hear this happen to u. but dont forget u also took out ur power steering. u think that might have somthin to do with it?

hot weather= death of any car. but its weird. u should def get ur ecu checked.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:04 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Originally Posted by FastZ33
chris im so sry to hear this happen to u. but dont forget u also took out ur power steering. u think that might have somthin to do with it?

hot weather= death of any car. but its weird. u should def get ur ecu checked.
naw not a bit. car has 24,400 miles on it now, i got the car when it had a little over 3,000 miles on it. so the car has been WITHOUT power steering for like 21,000 miles now with no issues.

wish i could get the ecu checked, talk about a dream come true. know anyone with a machine that can come to the car?! car cant go to them
Old 11-17-2008, 05:07 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

^^

i will pay for ALL gas and some!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:52 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

are you skilled enough to remove the alarm system? why not remove it from possible variables and see if the issue continues.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:58 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hot temperatures = gas vapor lock. How 'bout your battery? Is it relatively new? I've had weak batteries take a puke on me with high temperatures.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:44 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
Hot temperatures = gas vapor lock. How 'bout your battery? Is it relatively new? I've had weak batteries take a puke on me with high temperatures.
battery is super good... the tow truck guy even jumped the car, same issue was present. so not the battery... days later the car still dont start, no vapor lock.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:51 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Originally Posted by dspiel
are you skilled enough to remove the alarm system? why not remove it from possible variables and see if the issue continues.
the guy that installed the alarm told me to hit him up when i get home and he will walk me through the process on how to MANUALLY turn the alarm OFF without having to gut the damn thing. i will be trying this with high hopes.... man this has been a pretty depressing week to say the least.

crom also said that i should disconnect the alarm and pull the batter plug over night and do a reset on the ecu and see what happens... this is my number 2 option.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:53 PM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like an electrical problem to me. Possibly associated with alarm, maybe bad clutch interlock switch or bad sensor of some sort.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:55 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Default ecu reset process to get code?

need to find out...
Old 11-17-2008, 06:59 PM
jubes

bad fuse connected to the alarm?

Or maybe it was that bubble gum... the one holding your air filter up LOL... I still laugh at that **** bro.. LOL sorry
Old 11-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Sleeper01

damn sorry to hear.....off topic why did you remove the power steering?
Old 11-17-2008, 07:16 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Originally Posted by Sleeper01
damn sorry to hear.....off topic why did you remove the power steering?
lolz... i HATE power steering... i get better control under high speeds and feel more control against over steer and under steer in turns. i feel like i have soooo much more control over my car then the average z driver. i have driven a few other Z's (about 4) i have stock suspension and still like the way my car feels in turns over the other 2 that i drove with tein basic's. just a personal preference i guess...

funny to say tho, it will make a whine sound when you remove the power steering, sound almost like a super charger lolz.... its kinna cool i guess, buts its a hassle trying to convince everyone that you DONT have a charger lolz
Old 11-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Sleeper01

^ ah thats cool man.....i drove a MR2 before without power steering and it was great to drive.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:31 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

no PS is the life for me... only bad part is at a stand still, trying to turn the wheel is dam near impossible lolz
Old 11-17-2008, 07:34 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Sounds like an electrical problem to me. Possibly associated with alarm, maybe bad clutch interlock switch or bad sensor of some sort.
yea bro, sounds electrical to me also, hope its not that big of a issue, didnt smell any wires fry so thats a good thing. if its a sensor then thats not too bad as well... i guess we will narrow it down after i disconnect the alarm and battery tonight.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:31 PM
henry j

wait wait you dont have power steering? what good comes with that? please advise very interested!
Old 11-17-2008, 08:53 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Originally Posted by henry j
wait wait you dont have power steering? what good comes with that? please advise very interested!

hahahaha lolz hahahaa... there is no actual "good" that might come with it... its just a personal preference.

Originally Posted by M6SXTZ
lolz... i HATE power steering... i get better control under high speeds and feel more control against over steer and under steer in turns. i feel like i have soooo much more control over my car then the average z driver. i have driven a few other Z's (about 4) i have stock suspension and still like the way my car feels in turns over the other 2 that i drove with tein basic's. just a personal preference i guess...

funny to say tho, it will make a whine sound when you remove the power steering, sound almost like a super charger lolz.... its kinna cool i guess, buts its a hassle trying to convince everyone that you DONT have a charger lolz
Old 11-18-2008, 11:43 AM
ekidd

you should let me drive your z to feel it without power steering. I didnt have power steering in my old hatchback, so im familiar with how hard it is to turn the wheel when not moving.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:05 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

^^
lolz when/IF my z ever runs again i will let you run it around the block to get a feel for it.

ok so UPDATES ...
i COMPLETELY removed the alarm brain from the car, turned on the head lights and disconnected the battery to help drain the ecu, woke up thins morning and turned the key... nothing.

i have a feeling that this isn't going to be a cheap simple fix, it wouldn't be right, thats just not my luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MY CAR JUST UP AND DIED (opinions/help)