Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

FACK, Spent the night in Jail on NYE

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Me350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New Updates:

I had my court hearing today: The charges of DUI was dropped but now I am charged with 2 counts.

1. Reckless Driving
2. Speed Contest (Racing)

My public defender read to me the details of the police report. They had no case for my DUI but are going to charge me with the above 2. Both are misdemeanors. Asked for Plea Bargain with the DA on same day: Speed contest dropped, will lose license for 30 days plus 12 month probation for reckless driving, pay a fine of $450.00. Will appear on my record plus 1+ point on DMV. Insurance goes up.

Decided to Plea Not Guilty until my pretrial in 1 month. Public Defender will ask if there is evidence of the dash cam and give me time to think if I should take the plea bargain.

Anybody else been in a similar situation with reckless driving or speed contest? Any advice as to how to proceed? Should I get a professional traffic lawyer or stay with the public dender?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:20 PM
madpanda

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always get a professional lawyer, public defenders=fail
Old 03-02-2009, 12:24 PM
m0nkie

Best opinion... fire your PD and get yourself an attorney.. this is no time to save 1000$

Originally Posted by Me350Z
New Updates:

I had my court hearing today: The charges of DUI was dropped but now I am charged with 2 counts.

1. Reckless Driving

My public defender read to me the details of the police report. They had no case for my DUI but are going to charge me with the above 2. Both are misdemeanors. Asked for Plea Bargain with the DA on same day: Speed contest dropped, will lose license for 30 days plus 12 month probation for reckless driving, pay a fine of $450.00. Will appear on my record plus 1+ point on DMV. Insurance goes up.

Decided to Plea Not Guilty until my pretrial in 1 month. Public Defender will ask if there is evidence of the dash cam and give me time to think if I should take the plea bargain.

Anybody else been in a similar situation with reckless driving or speed contest? Any advice as to how to proceed? Should I get a professional traffic lawyer or stay with the public dender?
Old 03-02-2009, 12:47 PM
350z-Jim

Originally Posted by m0nkie
Best opinion... fire your PD and get yourself an attorney.. this is no time to save 1000$
Uh yeah no kidding. The money wont matter in a year from now. If you get convicted you WILL care in a year from now and prob regret it.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Mr. CF

This story sucks.....I have a very similar one

I got one the week after Hurricane Ike. I was living with a friend because my apartment ceiling had completely caved in, it was a pretty f***ed up week for me. So I went out and had a few drinks, with some friends. Around 130am everyone was leaving and my buddy and his GF left a few minutes before me and they got pulled over. His GF called me to pick her up and being a good friend I went to pick her up. Cop asked me to get out of my car and long story short I got arrested and spent the night in jail FTL

With my case though I wasn't speeding, driving wrecklessly, or causing any motor violations. I simply denied to take any field test.

Got myself a really good lawyer and now waiting for trial think it was $2000 plus another $1000 if it actually goes to trial

Let me know how yours goes....SUBSCRIBED FOR UPDATES
Old 03-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Equinox

+1000 paying for an attorney in this case. Like someone else said, this is not a time to be cheap. Put it on a CC if you have to. Pay now or pay (a lot more!) later.

Where did the Speed Contest (Racing) charge come from all of a sudden? Did you leave this out of the story originally?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
nismo_nate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah i say pay for a pro.

my brother lost with his pd, he's still paying for it.. total cost is $10k

he got caught on new years day too
Old 03-02-2009, 05:06 PM
ObiRedKenobi

Nystagmus test is a BS field sobriety test because involentary eye movement can be effected by other things than alcohol and you have no way to tell if your eyes twitched.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Me350Z

[quote=Equinox;7020707

Where did the Speed Contest (Racing) charge come from all of a sudden? Did you leave this out of the story originally?[/quote]

The speed contest was never on my traffic ticket. They decided to tack that on after they figured out they had no case against me in a .04 DUI case. I sigh a relief on that b/c the DUI is a major charge that will be on record for 10 years.

Still need to do some more research on reckless driving and how severe the penalty is and how it affects my record. However, their case is weak. I will request for a discovery report (police report) before my pretrial to see what the officer wrote. The public defender did mention that they can use as evidence that I was intoxicated to support their claim of reckless driving even though my DUI charges were dropped.

Does anybody have a reckless driving on their record? How many points is it on your DMV and did your insurance premium go up? I need to weigh the pros & cons to determine if I should take the plea bargain or continue to plead not guilty and hire a prof. traffic lawyer.

Any info. is helpful. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:36 PM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Me350Z
New Updates:

1. Reckless Driving
ok now, I WANNA HEAR THE MUDDA ****** STORY ALREADY!!!

please tell us what was happening that night that got you stuck with these charges