Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Beginner Racing School/ Instructors

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 12:04 AM
breakerboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Beginner Racing School/ Instructors

Im turning 18 next month, and I'm really interested in going to some type of racing school. I really want to learn how to take turns, how to control my car better, and become an overall safer driver..(tame the beast)..

Any input or ideas would be appreciated.. I'm not sure of the costs involved, and I'm not sure if i would be using my own car or not, but i have about 500 dollars to put towards this.
-thanx
Old 09-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Try to attend an event with qualified instructors. I've seen too many groups where the instructors have only a few more track days under their belts than the students!

With that in mind, I'd recommend the Buttonwillow Performance Driving Clinic which is taught by actual SCCA licensed racers. They are low-key events focussed on learning and having fun - not who is fastest.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:39 PM
dczoner

Default COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC BUT...

Breakerboy, your sig says you don't need VTech... hate to say it but we've got Continuously Variable Valve Timing Control System (CVTCS)... Only problem - it doesn't sound "catchy" so we don't get a badge on the side of our cars Damn....

I WANT A CVTCS badge... that would be so coool - probably improve hp by like 40-50%....
Old 09-13-2003, 12:54 AM
breakerboy

Originally posted by Scott Webb
Try to attend an event with qualified instructors. I've seen too many groups where the instructors have only a few more track days under their belts than the students!

With that in mind, I'd recommend the Buttonwillow Performance Driving Clinic which is taught by actual SCCA licensed racers. They are low-key events focussed on learning and having fun - not who is fastest.
thanks for the advice, and I will look into the buttonwillow one, but I'm not sure if i want to take my own car and put it through all that..I know that theres no better way to learn all those techniques in your own car but i was hoping for a place that supplies the cars....
any ideas?? thanks
Old 09-13-2003, 09:45 PM
raceboy
Banned

Take my advice, you are just minutes away from the best value for your $ racing school in the United States; The Jim Hall Kart Racing School. You will learn more there in one or two days than you will at a week of Sundays at some performance driving clinic. The only place you might maybe learn more, but more than likely just about the same, is one of the biggies like Skip Barber, or Derek Daly, but it's gonna cost you a hell of a lot more than $500. Trust me on this one.