Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

October 18, 2003 Test Pipe Install and Listening Invitation

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 10:38 AM
hfm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default October 18, 2003 Test Pipe Install and Listening Invitation

For all you So. Cal. folks that were pleased with the Borla exhaust group buy, I know some of you want to hear how the test pipe with cats/without cats and with or without resonator sound. Sound clips, while they give some idea, don't do justice to the actual sound.

Therefore, on October 18, 2003 at 9:30 a.m. I've arranged for us to have an opportunity to hear the differences. I will be having the various pipes installed on my car for you to hear the differences.

LaBree MotorSports
Brent LaBree, Owner
21521 Strathern St.,
Canoga Park, CA 91304

There may also be time for some installations on this day until 4:00 p.m. as it has been reserved for us Z owners.

More information can be found here: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....0&pagenumber=1

If you're interested, please post below. And, if you have recording equipment or digital cameras, please feel to bring them with you.

1. HFM/Dan
Old 10-02-2003, 02:51 PM
noel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OoooOoooYeah,I am Going..
1. HFM/Dan
2. Noel
Attached Thumbnails October 18, 2003 Test Pipe Install and Listening Invitation-untitled-1.jpg  
Old 10-02-2003, 09:22 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

sounds like something fun to do
Old 10-02-2003, 10:01 PM
KONVERTER

how about i go with my Z with only Nismo Exaust and you put my Mines test pipes on my car at the same time

that is if they come in in time
Old 10-13-2003, 02:01 PM
hfm

Bump for all interested.
Old 10-13-2003, 04:59 PM
FredericM

Brent...

I plan to be there Saturday Morning aroung 10:00 AM. Hopefully you will be able to install the Borla System at that time. I will call you later in the week to confirm the installation.

Thanks!! Fred
Old 10-13-2003, 08:51 PM
BoostTed

i was just there today, getting my exhaust on my A4 taken off and he mentioned that some of the Z and G35 owners will be there sat....i wish i can make it but I have to de-mod and part out my A4 still this sat.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:59 AM
hfm

For the early risers, Brent will be there at 8:00 a.m. I expect to get there around 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m.

Hmm, breakfast afterwards sounds good.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:28 AM
hfm

Bump as last reminder.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:03 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

haveto fill in for someone tomorrow
and im selling my G35 so its not too much of an interest to me
Old 10-17-2003, 09:32 PM
rodH

Originally posted by ihatethatbobbarker
haveto fill in for someone tomorrow
and im selling my G35 so its not too much of an interest to me
what are you getting???
Old 10-18-2003, 12:50 AM
ihatethatbobbarker

hehehehe
Old 10-18-2003, 05:04 AM
hfm

hehehehe
Z?
Old 10-18-2003, 07:27 AM
daytona350z

hehehehe

im assuming we r keeping this a secret? right brandon
Old 10-18-2003, 01:05 PM
AmyCroft

Default Blue Z - I know that sound

All:

The Blue Z with test pipes did a short test run..

The sound

Did you get a copy of the run? - That's it from 200 meters away..

La Bree Motorsports - Recomend !

Brent (818) 704-7950
Integrity ! Semper Fi !
Old 10-20-2003, 04:38 AM
Grey Matter

So, how do they sound? Improved performance?
Old 10-20-2003, 08:58 AM
hfm

Originally posted by Grey Matter
So, how do they sound? Improved performance?
Friday Evening

Installed JWT Pop Charger at 6:00 p.m. Finished the 20 minute job in 45 minutes due to not being able to find a small drill bit. Sounds typical of any CAI at 4,000+ rpm. It's louder. Notice slight performance gain.

Saturday Morning

Had the test pipes created and installed. First trial run, the car sounded terrific. I don't understand what happened afterwards but I have to describe this in detail.

From 750 rpm to 3,500 rpm, the sound is very deep, very throaty, burbbles and nothing but goodness. I can compare it to the sound you would expect to hear from a great sounding V8.

Then, there is a high-pitched, raspy sound that I can only describe as shrill in sharp contrast to the earlier thunderous exhaust. In short, it reminds me of a Honda fart can. This happens only on WOT and does not occur during regular accelleration.

At about 5,000 rpm, the tone goes back to the deep sounds as the shrill fades away.

Now, I don't know if it's because there are exhaust gases leaking. Brent advises me it's because there is no baffle and that a fix could be a resonator. Apparantly, I am the 2nd of 8 people who didn't like this sound. I don't know whether all the test pipes all sound the same but mine just isn't going to work.

So, next Saturday, I have the option of adding a resonator or going with the highflow cats. Steve who was there added the Borla header and highflow cats. Speaking with Steve, he has nothing but good things to say about that set up.

As for performance. It's definitely there. I would bet good money that the car is producing about 260 to 270 rwhp (320 hp to the crank). That's butt dyno but judging by how much quicker I get to 60+ mph, I'm certain about the gains.

For the moment, I am unable to recommend the test-pipes alone just because of the sound. The problem is, I don't know the cause of the sound or if it's consistant with all test-pipes.

I will post more about this after next Saturdays swap-out. And, I will post pics upon receipt.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:11 PM
rodH

Originally posted by hfm
Friday Evening

Installed JWT Pop Charger at 6:00 p.m. Finished the 20 minute job in 45 minutes due to not being able to find a small drill bit. Sounds typical of any CAI at 4,000+ rpm. It's louder. Notice slight performance gain.

Saturday Morning

Had the test pipes created and installed. First trial run, the car sounded terrific. I don't understand what happened afterwards but I have to describe this in detail.

From 750 rpm to 3,500 rpm, the sound is very deep, very throaty, burbbles and nothing but goodness. I can compare it to the sound you would expect to hear from a great sounding V8.

Then, there is a high-pitched, raspy sound that I can only describe as shrill in sharp contrast to the earlier thunderous exhaust. In short, it reminds me of a Honda fart can. This happens only on WOT and does not occur during regular accelleration.

At about 5,000 rpm, the tone goes back to the deep sounds as the shrill fades away.

Now, I don't know if it's because there are exhaust gases leaking. Brent advises me it's because there is no baffle and that a fix could be a resonator. Apparantly, I am the 2nd of 8 people who didn't like this sound. I don't know whether all the test pipes all sound the same but mine just isn't going to work.

So, next Saturday, I have the option of adding a resonator or going with the highflow cats. Steve who was there added the Borla header and highflow cats. Speaking with Steve, he has nothing but good things to say about that set up.

As for performance. It's definitely there. I would bet good money that the car is producing about 260 to 270 rwhp (320 hp to the crank). That's butt dyno but judging by how much quicker I get to 60+ mph, I'm certain about the gains.

For the moment, I am unable to recommend the test-pipes alone just because of the sound. The problem is, I don't know the cause of the sound or if it's consistant with all test-pipes.

I will post more about this after next Saturdays swap-out. And, I will post pics upon receipt.
the sound does seem to mellow out after some miles, mine have and I only have about 25 city miles on mine.

btw, what else do you have on your car, NO WAY does the pipes and no way do those 2 mods add 20-40 rwhp alone, no way
Old 10-20-2003, 11:17 PM
rodH

if you find a way to mellow out the sound, PLEASE let me know though!!
Old 10-21-2003, 12:06 AM
hfm

Originally posted by rodH
the sound does seem to mellow out after some miles, mine have and I only have about 25 city miles on mine.

btw, what else do you have on your car, NO WAY does the pipes and no way do those 2 mods add 20-40 rwhp alone, no way

if you find a way to mellow out the sound, PLEASE let me know though!!
JWT Popcharger = 6.5 hp
JWT Flywheel = 0 hp
Borla TD Exhaust = 10 hp
Test Pipes = 15 hp

Total = 31.5 hp assuming no synergy and assuming BTDE only produces 10 hp. Regardless, I'll know with some certainty on Nov 1 after a dyno.

I had Danny, Brent's son drive my car. Danny drove Steve's car as well. He noticed a significant difference noting that my car pulled harder, even though Steve has the Borla headers and highflow cats. I think this has to do with the free reving JWT flywheel.

On Saturday, I plan to try the test pipes with resonator and the high flow cats. I'm hoping that the test pipes with resonator will do the trick because that option maintains maximum power and hopefully sounds okay.

Quick Reply: October 18, 2003 Test Pipe Install and Listening Invitation