Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Bike Lane Citation FTL

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:19 PM
chrisnathan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Lane Citation FTL

Just got a moving violation ticket/citation on my way back from work. The officer was saying I crossed the bike lane when I was making a right turn. I didn't see any bike lane whatsoever, anyway, does anyone know how much is this going to cost me? Should I appear to the court and appeal or should I just pay it off?

Helpful opinions will be greatly appreciated. Oh, careful with Irvine cops, they like to tail you until you make a mistake.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:28 PM
fart_canon

Originally Posted by chrisnathan
Just got a moving violation ticket/citation on my way back from work. The officer was saying I crossed the bike lane when I was making a right turn. I didn't see any bike lane whatsoever
sir, you mean to tell me the officer pulled you over and gave you a citation for something you are not even sure of? Are you serious? Had this happen to me I would have asked the officer to show me the bike lane. Now instead you signed off on that ticket accepting responsibility for the citation.

I'd suggest you go back to where the citation was issued and look for the said bike lane. Were you on the phone by any chance when this happen?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:07 PM
08nogaroZ

+1 i would go back as well and check to see if there was a bike lane...if there wasn't I would take pics and take them to court and should be a win for sure if there wasn't a bike lane.... Good luck dude hope all goes well
Old 10-19-2009, 08:25 PM
chrisnathan

I would assume there is, that's not the case now, what I want to know how much the ticket is going to cost me and will it take any point or affect my insurance rate perhaps?

Thanks for the words, but I already did sign it.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:51 PM
08nogaroZ

any moving violation will affect ur insurance bro as for the $ for the ticket have no clue dude I am thinking roughly $200? and even if you did sign the ticket you can always fight it through mail or in person....always worth a shot dude especially if the ticket is a lot of money
Old 10-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is from the California Vehicle code, page 26:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl600.pdf

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bicycle lanes
A bicycle lane is shown by a solid white line along either side of the street, four or more feet from the curb. The white line will usually be broken near the corner and the words “BIKE LANE” will be painted in the lane.

When you are making a right turn and are within 200 feet of the corner or other driveway entrance, you must enter the bike lane for the turn. Do not drive in the bike lane at any other time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you confirm that this is what he caught you for?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 PM
VolkZ

when u sign the ticket, it says without admitting guilt.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:25 PM
TechnoBotz

Really? damn irvine cops, sorry to hear you got that ticket, that f'n blows.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:52 PM
donut_boi

Originally Posted by waizzz
This is from the California Vehicle code, page 26:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl600.pdf

Bicycle lanes
A bicycle lane is shown by a solid white line along either side of the street, four or more feet from the curb. The white line will usually be broken near the corner and the words “BIKE LANE” will be painted in the lane.

When you are making a right turn and are within 200 feet of the corner or other driveway entrance, you must enter the bike lane for the turn. Do not drive in the bike lane at any other time.

Can you confirm that this is what he caught you for?
This is how I understood it as well, I say go fight in court if what you stated is what he ticketed you for. Gluck.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:59 PM
stylett9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fart_canon
sir, you mean to tell me the officer pulled you over and gave you a citation for something you are not even sure of? Are you serious? Had this happen to me I would have asked the officer to show me the bike lane. Now instead you signed off on that ticket accepting responsibility for the citation.

I'd suggest you go back to where the citation was issued and look for the said bike lane. Were you on the phone by any chance when this happen?
What's he supposed to do, not sign the citation and get arrested? signing the citation only acknowledges the stop and the reason for it. You can always fight it in court. It's not an admission of guilt.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:18 AM
fart_canon

read this post carefully bro. "The officer was saying I crossed the bike lane when I was making a right turn. I didn't see any bike lane whatsoever"

OP is clearly not sure wheather or not there was a bike lane that he crossed. Had that been me, I'd have asked the officer to show which bike lane I crossed BEFORE signing the ticket.

Originally Posted by stylett9
What's he supposed to do, not sign the citation and get arrested? signing the citation only acknowledges the stop and the reason for it. You can always fight it in court. It's not an admission of guilt.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:28 AM
InZpire

Irvine, FTL!

I try to not even do a Cali roll in that town.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Silly Wabbit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fart_canon
OP is clearly not sure wheather or not there was a bike lane that he crossed. Had that been me, I'd have asked the officer to show which bike lane I crossed BEFORE signing the ticket.
Try not to sign it and see what's gonna happen. Signing the ticket only means you've received the citation which does NOT mean you admit guilt to the citation.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:09 AM
fart_canon

^^ I understand what signing the ticket means and that's is not what I'm debating here. I'm debating the fact that OP was cited for crossing a bike lane. OP isn't sure wheather there was a bike lane or not so I'm suggesting OP should have ask the officer to show the said bike lane. Why is this so complicated to undertand?

Read the entire post carefully first before giving out your opinion gais!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:15 PM
chrisnathan

UPDATE: so I stopped by to their appointed court (Harbor Justice Center in Newport) on my lunch break just to ask how much the bail would be if I choose that path, and a lady in the counter say: well, probably around $212, and I was shocked. What on earth that crossing a bike lane will be that much? She also said to wait for the mail cause they will have more details about the court time and the bail cost. Now, I rather go the court for sure, but is it worth it? Will they ever going to listen to us anyway? Will they reduce the bail too? So, I'm not sure, need your expert advices guys.

And BJ, I told my wife that I start hating Irvine now, I want to move. I've seen stupid stuff those Irvine cops did in the past. I'll talk about this when I have a chance to meet ya.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:17 PM
chrisnathan

Oh, and thanks for your words guys, I learned a lesson.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:19 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Try and go snap some pics of that area you got hassled in and bring them to court.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:03 AM
johzp

wow gl chris! I say just revisit the site go out there with a tape measure, and fight for it in court, just be like i was "199ft from the turn" i knew irvine cops were bishes but i didnt know they were that bad, o well
Old 10-22-2009, 12:26 AM
415mm
Professional

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

christian take a chance in court. the officer might not show and you get off if anything you might even get a reduced fine from the judge. just come prepared with pics of where the incident happened. gl bro.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:23 AM
2jz-power

irvine cops are terrible. Notorious for pulling people over the simplest detail. Try driving a supra with a big snail under the hood. I have one route that I take from and back to my area.

Quick Reply: Bike Lane Citation FTL