Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Cali Z Owners: Must we install the front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 08:06 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever your decision I wish you luck. It seems that in some areas of California the front plate law is somewhat overlooked while in others it is strictly inforced.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:07 AM
Alang

I have owned cars in CA since 1977, and have NEVER had a front license plate. Never had a ticket for not having one either (been pulled over a lot for other things). I wouldn't worry about it till it is forced on you by being cited.

Of course by opening my big mouth about it, you all know I'm going to get pulled over for it on the way home from work today.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:05 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by Alang
I have owned cars in CA since 1977, and have NEVER had a front license plate. Never had a ticket for not having one either (been pulled over a lot for other things). I wouldn't worry about it till it is forced on you by being cited.

Of course by opening my big mouth about it, you all know I'm going to get pulled over for it on the way home from work today.

You are lucky. I've had 5 cars consecutively in the past including my Z. 2 of them had license plates in the front. 3 others didn't. I got 2 fix-it's for 2 different cars. That's a 67% chance (quick and dirty calculation w/o consideration of how many years I have owned each car or how many miles I have driven in each car).

One time was when I was driving down on HWY 405. CHP pulls me over when I'm driving at the speed limit. I wonder what's going on.... apparently, he pulled me over for the front-side window tints. And he also gave me a ticket for the no front plate at the same time.

2nd time was when I was parked in front of Home Depot in Torrance. I went to the "car" meet there and po-po's showed up. They decided to start harrassing everyone by giving fix-it tickets. I should've double-side tape the front plate on.

I took off my front plate again. Knock on wood.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:37 AM
SD350ZEE

yes, legally you need one, cops rarely care.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:31 AM
jake280

Got front license plate ticket and tint sunday night from some newbie ***** pig. He follows me so i pulled in a parking lot and i park as i pull in i see him not following me. "YES" Than the **** turns around and comes in and blocks me off. gives me a ticket blah blah blah, so i put on my plates ripp off my tint and head down to the po po station to get it signed off, as i walk in i appraoch this over fed donut eating honker. I hand over the ticket he stamps it and says here go pay your fee of 10 bucks, i was like arnt you going to take a look at the car? Officers says no wtf?!?!?!!! all that trouble for nothing
Old 10-29-2003, 08:26 AM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

When I first moved to California in 1990 I got a no front plate ticket on my Eclipse while it was parked on the street!
Old 10-29-2003, 08:43 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Seems like it all depends on the mood of the police at the time
Old 10-29-2003, 04:29 PM
suprblkperformance

just got my ticket a few days ago while the car was parked. I came out of my girlfriends apartment and there was a ticket on it, and I was like WTF, its not red, and then saw the no front plates, lame!!!! Now i just put it in the front window when I park. Hope that works
Old 10-29-2003, 06:55 PM
jake280

If you guys need to get the ticket corrected with out putting it back on or such as tinted windows, try tc police department and its fee of charge.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:24 PM
onefastdoc

Notice that almost everyone who posted that they received a "no front plate ticket" lives in L.A.? Well, I live in L.A. and got nailed too. Was driving down La Brea at Wilshire and got pulled over just because I didn't have a front plate. The cop said that I did nothing else wrong, and that they were cracking down on people without front plates. What a pain in the *** that was. I wasn't going to drill my bumper, and I didn't like the Audiopat bracket (no offense) that you can buy on the internet. So, I've designed my own version and had it made out of billet aluminum on a CNC machine and had it polished. Still working on the finishing touches. Will post pics when done. I was thinking about making a bunch of these and selling them to fellow 350Z'ers, but it turned out to be a little more work than I expected. I must say though, it looks like it belongs in a museum.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:16 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

No offense taken...we've sold over 1000 'Zee-Bracket's in a very short time and continue to pick up new dealers every month so somebody likes them
Old 10-31-2003, 08:57 AM
reen

22,000 miles on my Z with no front plate since Jan '03 (mostly around SoCal) and no ticket yet...
Old 11-06-2003, 11:33 AM
LEX

A buddy of mine told me that you don't even have to go in to fix it.

All you have to do is take a picture of your license plate on your car, and mail it in with your ticket and 10 bucks.

He suggested that you take a few extra, 10 or so, pictures, different angles, light ect.

Keep using them when you get a ticket. Send in a new picture.

He told me that it is written in the law that way. All you have to do is mail the photo.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:38 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by LEX
A buddy of mine told me that you don't even have to go in to fix it.

All you have to do is take a picture of your license plate on your car, and mail it in with your ticket and 10 bucks.

He suggested that you take a few extra, 10 or so, pictures, different angles, light ect.

Keep using them when you get a ticket. Send in a new picture.

He told me that it is written in the law that way. All you have to do is mail the photo.
Are you talking about the state of CA? or another state?

As far as I know, unless the fix-it-ticket has no section for a cop's or DMV's autograph, you are going to have to "fix" the problem you're cited for. Sending a pic will not do.

I've seen two different types of parking tickets used for no-front-license plate violation: 1. requiring a signature from a cop/DMV and 2. not requiring any signature but to simply send in a check for the fine stated.

If you get the ticket #2 (like my friend), then you're lucky. Two times that I got tickets in the past, it was ticket #1. So I did have to show to the police that I did in fact fix the violation.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:39 PM
oso98

Default side tint and plates

I put on my front plate. I got a nice frame to put on it.

When i got pulled over for my side tint. The cop said, " I was looking to see if you had your front plate on, I can't believe you do!"

I think he just pulled me over and gave me a ticket, just to check out the ride!
Old 11-17-2003, 03:46 PM
rogerudc

I've lived in soCal for the past 12 years, and have never put on the front plate on my last 4 cars.

I recently got a speeding ticket and was not cited for the plate.

My opinion? They are horrible! Leave them (and those ridiculous brackets) at home and take your chances, its not a big deal either way.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:40 AM
Spyre

More likely to get dinged for the side tint. That is really not worth the effort to put on and deal with because they will all come after you for it. Then it's easier to get you for no front plate at the same time. Also I think the more ricey your car looks the much greater chance to get a ticket for small things like the front plate.

I'm tempted to just leave my paper dealer plate thing on and the little registration paper in the front window and not bother putting any plates on. I'm still waiting for my personal places to be re-made, needed a fresh set for the new Z...it's been like 2 months though since I turned in my old ones...those darn convicts are getting too slow and making plates!!
Old 11-25-2003, 05:53 PM
peterhong

I used to live in the San Fernando Valley for about 10 years and have never been pulled over for a front plate fix it ticket. BUT, when I moved to Los Angeles near Downtown, I have gotten pulled over several times now for no front plates. I guess it just depends on where you live and where you do the most driving. I've actually been pulled over by a cop for the simple reason that he said he liked my car and wanted to take a closer look and then upon walking around the car, he noticed I had no front plate and proceeded to write me a ticket. I keep it on now cause I don't want the hassle of being pulled over.

Another guy above actually made a good point also, meter maids can cite you for having no front plates. It is not a fix it ticket, but simply a $25 ticket (instead of the normal $10).