Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Come RALLY in your Z! Max Legal FUN on street

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 06:51 AM
reen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Come RALLY in your Z! Max Legal FUN on street

Santa Monica Sports Car Club

FIRST FRIDAY NIGHTER RALLY

At the beginning of October my wife & I checked out this monthly rally and it was a RIOT.

It is a TSD (Time, Speed, Distance) rally. You start at a precise time and have a cryptic set of instructions through a series of waypoints to get from point A to point B, where you must arrive at a precise time. It is scored by summing your deviations from the "perfect" time to each waypoint.

The one we did took about 2 hours, but you're so absorbed in what you're doing that it felt like 30 minutes.

It's only $10 per car. Cheap!

Where:
The rally starts in the parking lot behind the Bank of America at Sepulveda & Devonshire in Mission Hills (near the 118 & the 405).

When:
The first Friday night (hence the name) of each month. The next one is Nov. 7. First car begins at 8:01 p.m. Registration begins at 7 and there is a driver's meeting for beginners at 7:45 that you'll be totally lost without if you're new to this. This month's ends up at the Round Table Pizza at Sand Cyn/Soledad Cyn/14 Fwy in Santa Clarita.

Full info:
CLICK HERE

I tell you, it's a lot of fun. Although the whole thing is written to conform to traffic laws, opportunities for "spirited" driving abound. Bring a smart, good friend for a navigator (don't even try to go it alone). If you're bringing your wife/girlfriend make sure you have a really solid relationship or you will scream at each other the whole time. My wife and I were joking that every couple should be required to do one of these rallys before marriage as a test!

Other than that, you just need a clock that displays seconds, a stopwatch, a pen, and a clipboard.

Don't worry -- the beginner class is the biggest and there were tons of newbies like us there last time.

I want to see some Zs out there!!!!!
Old 11-02-2003, 04:58 PM
iLLestJrz

Sounds interesting. I might check it out.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:58 AM
reen

Tomorrow night...I better see some of you out there!
Old 11-08-2003, 06:04 PM
iLLestJrz

I didn't make the event. But how was it? Hopefully I'm there next time.
Old 11-08-2003, 06:31 PM
reen

It was hard this month! Even the guys in the Expert class got trounced. The overall winner was actually someone in Beginner class, but I think this was purely luck -- gross errors cancelling each other out, etc.

Next month is supposed to be light, fun, and straightforward with no traps. I think I'm going to be out of town though