Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.
View Poll Results: Is shop liable for catastrophic event
Liable
62.50%
NOT liable
37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

SoCal Wheel Alignment disaster! are they liable!? [pix]

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 12:36 PM
m808six

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry SoCal Wheel Alignment disaster! are they liable!? [pix]

Took my car to my mechanic for an alignment since my steering wheel was slightly towards the left and I was getting tired of exaggerated tire wear every few months from my front tires... My mechanic drove the car down the street to
Mr. D's Automotive Inc (Santa Ana) for an alignment (he drove it in to save me some cash instead of me driving it in and being charged +$15-$20)...

A hour or so later he brings me the car back.... alignment was "fixed"... I only requested fronts to be done but they did all 4 wheels... While I was driving home I heard some pretty strange noises coming from my rear but was unsure what it might be... I pulled over and was unable to locate the issue so I drove home and figured the issue would work itself out (somehow? )... never the less right when I got home I called my mechanic and complained about the noise, he told me to bring the car back the next day (today) and they will fix what ever was causing the issue...

I woke up this morning to a driver side flat rear tire

removed the tire... there was a ridiculous amount of rub from the tire touching the chassis on the inside... Looked a little further at the alignment report, they also aligned my wheels thinking my setup were 18's... Im running 19's.... would that matter?!?

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT
255/35 19 (=$335)

19x10 +5 F
19x11 -0 R

Last edited by m808six; 04-12-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:51 PM
m808six

what should my proper camber / toe be at for this size & offset... rolled fenders, no inner wheel wells, dropped on Eibach Sportline Spring
Old 04-12-2011, 12:57 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think the shop that did the alignment is liable. I hope they got some tires/parts on order for your Z.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:03 PM
m808six

im ordering the tire out here in Palmdale... the alignment shop is in Westminster (+100 miles away?)... They wanted me to bring them the car so they can check out the issue WITHOUT me getting an alignment again down in this area... Im not going to put on another $350 tire and drive it back there for more tire damage and have them claim that its not their fault... I told them to have my car towed back to their shop with the new tire on it, I doubt want to pay for the tow...
Old 04-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

are you running spacers to get the +0 rear offset? or is that really what the wheel is?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:34 PM
m808six

no spacers... thats the actual offset...
went with these wheels specifically because im not a fan of spacers what-so-ever

Old 04-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Smiles350

There are a few things that I see here that may be an issue. First from the spec sheet I can see that the only area where significant adjustment was made is your front toe, so they are most likely going to claim that they did not make enough of a change in the rear to cause your problem. Especially when your left rear toe was not changed at all only a slight camber change was done there.I think since your rubbing in the back part of the wheel rotation a slight toe in should help you out. The most likely cause would be if they increased your toe outward in the rear left but from the spec sheet they didn't.

Second you are running a really high camber in the rear, I track my car and I dont run that much camber. I don't know if your doing it as a clearance with the fender but you should bring it down to 2 degrees and stay within the min and max values cause that comes from the manufacturer unless you have special reason like clearance or driving style preference or you like spending money on more tires. (Excuse the sarcasm)

Lastly, I see other reasons why they will try to deny that it is their fault by simply blaming the drop you have or that you are running an incredible 11 inch rear rim and they helped you out if anything by decreasing the camber a bit which would bring the top of you wheel away from the rubbing spot as long as the spot is above the horizontal axis at the center of your wheel/hub. I don't know how you do it, I run a 9.5 with a 295 rear tire and I have never had an issue, this surprises me with a zero offset and 255 tire.

If you need a good place for rolling you fenders more try need 4 speed motorsports in glendale they have the best tech there for rubbing issues. On the bright side you have some really good looking rims and they weren't damaged in this endeavor.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:13 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

What is really wild about this, i just ran my specs against his. His setup has 4mm more clearance on the inside, his tires are more stretched (pulling them away from possible rubbing ) and even with the extra -0.8 camber mine still wouldn't come close to rubbing.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:19 AM
RedlineRedZ33

how positive are you those are the actual specs that the car was aligned to? there's some shady mechanics in Santa Ana... one time I got an alignment around the area to blow through 2 rear tires in about 2 weeks! I went to Big O to get my alignment checked and they said the numbers the shop gave me were completely off. So I'd get that checked too if I were you.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 PM
SQBassHead

Originally Posted by RedlineRedZ33
how positive are you those are the actual specs that the car was aligned to? there's some shady mechanics in Santa Ana... one time I got an alignment around the area to blow through 2 rear tires in about 2 weeks! I went to Big O to get my alignment checked and they said the numbers the shop gave me were completely off. So I'd get that checked too if I were you.
Correct,

Get an alignment at another shop, just bite the bullet, if the shop sounds like there not going to pay then guarantee ur not going to change there mind,

Unless you go threw small claims court
Up to you if you want to go that route

This should have never happen if the paper specs are right, I've seen more camber and not rub

I wish you the best bro, but just live and learn,
I bet right now your thinking you should have just paid the extra $15-20 and be there while the ailigned it huh?

GL bro
Old 04-13-2011, 06:39 PM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by m808six
I wonder what could cause something like this. That recently happened to one of my tires also. Only my tire wasn't rubbing on anything.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 PM
L33TZOR

Well, I always suggest more tire is better than more rim. I don't get the whole stretched out tire fad thing with hella negative camber on a performance car it just doesn't add up.
IMHO, anyone could save a ton of issues getting the right fitment tire and wheel in the first place and this post would seize to exist homie.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:34 PM
calin
Banned

Originally Posted by L33TZOR
Well, I always suggest more tire is better than more rim. I don't get the whole stretched out tire fad thing with hella negative camber on a performance car it just doesn't add up.
IMHO, anyone could save a ton of issues getting the right fitment tire and wheel in the first place and this post would seize to exist homie.
Another good tip for the OP would be don't do this to your car

Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 AM
SQBassHead

lol, good tip calin

Well since the same thing happen to calins ride, I say it's safe to assume that the stretch was the culprit, maybe your tire just gave up... Think about it it rolling with more pressure on the inside and therefore it wears faster but maybe the sidewall just gave up and snapped open

BUT you have rub marks on ur onside so
Lol, GL op
Old 04-14-2011, 11:08 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes the shop is liable BUT the OP should have never taken his highly modified suspension to any regular shop to do the alignment. Anytime you have something that is modified with such close tolerances, please don't take it to regular tire shops because they don't normally work with setups such as these. I feel bad for the shop owner frankly.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Bryan@KTM

I would def complain. Even with a +0 offset you should still be fine with rolled fenders. It seems as if the shop did not know how to properly adjust the alignment. Also It was not your rear camber that would have caused this, its the toe adjustments. What rear arms are you running and do you have the SPC or anything similar toe bolts.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:05 PM
m808six

Originally Posted by calin
I wonder what could cause something like this. That recently happened to one of my tires also. Only my tire wasn't rubbing on anything.

let me guess... driver side rear correct??
Old 04-15-2011, 06:40 PM
m808six

Calin... where did you find that pic of my car?! hahahaha

-----sooo.... i found out the issue... would post pix but i solved it already with a hammer and replaced the tire...

my final conclusion...

the shop is NOT liable....

for some reason there was some weird BUMP/LUMP in the wheel well formed out of the lining in the sheet metal at the top of the wheel well... I smashed it back into place and have not had the issue since I replaced the new tire...

the tire was most likely getting worn BEFORE the alignment and I just didnt know it... it also JUST SO HAPPENED to go flat the very next day and noticed it when I woke up... If anything the shop FIXED the issue after adjusting the tire bringing it away from the trouble spot in the well....

I apologized to the shop and dropped off donuts...

glad I found out the issue...

Calin, check the metal lining at the top of your wheel well... im sure that wil solve your issue
Old 04-15-2011, 08:17 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how many donuts?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:13 PM
m808six

1 dozen divided by 2 people.... 1 allergic to chocolate... FHL