Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Traffic Citation Lost by Cop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 01:12 PM
jimster716

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Traffic Citation Lost by Cop?

Ok as many of you know in my previous post about SEMA show, I received a traffic citation for speeding on November 4th on the way to vegas. I was cited for doing 90 in a posted 70mph limit. The court date is listed as 12/28/03 8am at the Superior Court of San Bernardino County.

As the weeks go by, I notice that I still haven't received my ticket in the mail so I can pay for it and take traffic school. So I called the superior court to ask about the ticket and try to reschedule the date if i have to appear (out of state during the holidays). The person who took my call asked for the citation number and after i gave it to her she responded that they have no record of it. She then asked for my driver's license number...still no record of the citation. She then asked for me to call back on Friday.

Anyone know what possibly could have happened? I'm sure she's going to investigate the citation since i gave her the citation number. Is it correct to assume that the statute of limitations would be the court appearance date on the ticket itself?

I couldn't be this lucky.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:04 PM
Z4KR

Same situation here exactly... and I was considering showing up on my court date at first. But when I called the 2nd time I was told that the citation was filed but under a different filing system (since I was ticketed by the sheriff). She gave me an extension and told me how much I owed. I thought I was home free ... damn it!
Old 12-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Jeff F

Watch out, same kind of thing happened to my friend. He thought all was okay.....he rested happy until a notice appeared in the mail from the court. While he rested happily they had suspended his lic. for failure to appear and issued a warrant. On top of it all they hit him with some serious fines, not to mention a point on his record. The county by the way was San Bernardino.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:03 PM
jimster716

Originally posted by Jeff F
Watch out, same kind of thing happened to my friend. He thought all was okay.....he rested happy until a notice appeared in the mail from the court. While he rested happily they had suspended his lic. for failure to appear and issued a warrant. On top of it all they hit him with some serious fines, not to mention a point on his record. The county by the way was San Bernardino.
That's why I'm documenting my contact with the superior court. Unfortunately, if they still don't have the citation in their records by friday then i can't ask for an extension which i need in case i do need to show up. All i can say is they told me personally that the ticket isn't even in their system.
Old 12-09-2003, 06:29 PM
tekkensux

Last edited by tekkensux; 12-25-2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: ...
Old 12-09-2003, 07:59 PM
jimster716

Originally posted by tekkensux
Good luck jimster. The system pretty much expects us to take care of the situation and follow up if nothing is sent in the mail.
It's all on us, never on them. It sucks. Good luck!
Thanks. I am trying to take care of the situation with contact and documentation. The crappy thing is this:

1. they have no record of the ticket therefore I can't ask for an extension on the court date.

2. i can't mail in my check cuz they haven't sent me anything with amount or due date.

If they don't find anything by friday then i guess all i can do is call on Dec. 27th from Pennsylvania (holiday trip back east) to see if it's in their system for the court date on the 28th.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:55 AM
iris

Good luck jimster.

Hey, I just got a ticket (for rolling through a stop sign). Online traffic school is the best - it took me 3-4 hours instead of the 8 you waste in a Sat class.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:19 AM
dracing77

i got the same situation as you, i got my ticket for 108 mph in a 70 mph zone on the way to vegas on Nov 7th. The cup didn't cite me a mis. ticket instead of gave me a traffic ticket? but peopel told me it's a mis. ticket....

anyways, the point is that i called the court twice, they dont' have any record also...dont' know what should i do now.....

anybody have suggestion?my court day is Jan 2nd..... i am thinkin about hire a lawyer for this ticket...

David
Old 12-11-2003, 09:17 AM
Z4KR

Originally posted by iris

Online traffic school is the best - it took me 3-4 hours instead of the 8 you waste in a Sat class.
I'm going to do mine online as well but it seems that I have to get my test notorized I guess it's required in SD county and a few other places.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:22 AM
iris

REally? That's lame.

For anybody who's interested, I did on www.trafficschoolonline.com (creative name, huh?).
Old 12-11-2003, 09:28 AM
Z4KR

Originally posted by iris
REally? That's lame.

For anybody who's interested, I did on www.trafficschoolonline.com (creative name, huh?).
Yeah ... it sucks.

Kern County, San Bernardino and San Diego Courts require all students who received a citation in their county to complete their "Final Exam" at an approved and secure location.

I found this other place to be cheaper: http://www.trafficjamn.net/
Old 12-14-2003, 07:27 AM
theSmoothDome

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had the same exact situation. Called the courthouse about 4 weeks after getting the ticket and there was nothing there. I was told to call back in another 4 weeks. I did and there was still no record of it. About 6 months later I got pulled over for doing 45 in a 35 and written up. There wasn't any record of an outstanding warrant so I'm just figuring that the cop decided to give me a break or it dissappeared in the shuffle. No complaints on my part...except for that damn 45 in a 35. Damn speed trap was set up right where the 45 mph zone turns into the 35mph zone. Guess you win some and lose some.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:21 PM
ShaftEd

Originally posted by dracing77
i got the same situation as you, i got my ticket for 108 mph in a 70 mph zone on the way to vegas on Nov 7th. The cup didn't cite me a mis. ticket instead of gave me a traffic ticket? but peopel told me it's a mis. ticket....

anyways, the point is that i called the court twice, they dont' have any record also...dont' know what should i do now.....

anybody have suggestion?my court day is Jan 2nd..... i am thinkin about hire a lawyer for this ticket...

David

When you get written up for 100+ in CA, the cop has the choice of writing you a reckless driving ticket, which is a misdemeanor charge, or he can cite you for the vehicle code number for over 100 that is only an infraction. The infraction ticket has less fines and penalties, but they are both nasty 2 point cites. You probably haven't received your bail notice yet, as the traffic courts are pretty clogged up right now. However, they will eventually get around to it.

You cannot afford to have a 100+ two point ticket on your record, whether it's a misdemeanor or infraction. I had an issue such as this back in the mid-90's and hired a lawyer who specializes in traffic offences here in San Diego. He was able to plea bargain the cite down to an over 55 mph ticket, which is only a 1 point offense. He was worth the money. I suggest hiring a lawyer for your ticket too.

Good luck
Old 12-18-2003, 10:57 AM
jimster716

Ugh...they found the ticket. The due date was pushed back a month to Jan. 20th.

Fine wasn't as bad as I expected. $191 + $29 traffic school processing fee.

I would've preferred they lose the ticket and me use the money towards a Valentine 1.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Z4KR

I feel your pain. I bought a Valentine after I got my ticket. It wouldn't have mattered anyhow since he didn't use a radar on me.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:58 AM
jimster716

Update 1/13/04

To date, I still have not received my courtesy notice. So I sent in my payment today certified mail (you'll see why I sent it by certified mail cuz the administration side of the court is incompetent) with a letter complaining about how everything WASN'T handled. Please review the following calls I have made to the San Bernardino Superior Court and the information they provided me.

1. Called on 12/9/03 to request information as to status of the citation as I had not received a courtesy notice for the citation issued on 11/4/03. I was told that the citation information was unavailable and to call back.

2. Called on 12/18/03 to request information as to status of the citation as directed by court staff on 12/9/03. I was told that the citation was sent on 12/17/03 and the citation fee was $191.00. Original Court Appearance date of Sunday, 12/28/03 written on citation had been moved to January 20th, 2004.

3. Called on 1/5/04 to again notify the court that I still had not received the courtesy notice in regards to the original court date (12/28/03) and notice of new court date (1/20/04). I was told that the notice was written on 12/17/03 and mailed on 12/22/03 and that due to the holidays the courtesy notice may have been delayed in the mail.

4. Called on 1/13/04 to again notify the court that I still had not received the courtesy notice. I also called to request information as to whom I should write the citation check to (Barstow Court I was told) and to clarify the amount for traffic school eligibility.

This is has been a completely retarded situation that shouldn't have gone this far. I swear some shady things going on over there.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:18 PM
iris

Jimster, that is unbelievable. Barstow Court, I'm sure they really have their sh*t together.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:22 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

dude go to san bernardino its like there is zero police presence, i go there occasionally if i cant avoid it, with the exception of redlands im pretty sure the cops left town a while ago.