Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Salvage Title?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Sick an Twsd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage Title?!

I've been looking through ads for a 350z since i recieved orders...

Something bugs me though, it seems like at least 50% of the 350z's and G35 coupes are all salvage titles.

To my understanding a salvage title is when the cost of repair exceeds the blue book value at that time. (http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/sal...lvaged-Vehicle)

can anyone help explain why a majority of these are salvage titles? does CA have seperate rules on what determines a salvage and why are so many of these wonderfull cars salvaged?

(for the record i searched both my350z/350zmotoring/g35driver and googled the hell outta this)
Old 01-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Sick an Twsd

a few examples (sorry if links are dead...)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...811388706.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...817646241.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...810034873.html
Old 01-26-2012, 05:18 PM
clarkah

I got my hr 30k miles for 21k out the door, you just have to look around more.. I personally wouldn't settle for salvage title
Old 01-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Sick an Twsd

Originally Posted by clarkah
I got my hr 30k miles for 21k out the door, you just have to look around more.. I personally wouldn't settle for salvage title
i dont intend to trust me! haha but when looking through some of the articles they mention what seems like to be bumper to bumper to crashes and are referencing them as salvage titles, and these are 08's with under 50k.... something just doesnt sit right with me lol
Old 01-26-2012, 05:46 PM
-Trav-

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Think about all the youngsters hot doggin around town in these cars, the wanna be DKs etc...just the nature of the vehicle and its core demographic (nowadays) is more likely to produce a salvage vehicle versus, say, an F150 or camry.

In regards to the loss threshold, sometimes repairs only need to reach 80% of the value to declare total loss. Depends on the insurance co. Parts for the Z are pretty expensive overall, damages add up quick.

Id say salvage is just too risky. Some things can never be put back the way they originally where. You dont want a sports car with a bent or re-welded frame. If you want a good deal, a lemon title might be for you. California laws are so lax theyll make it a lemon over the most trivial things.

Edit: just saw your response, wise decision.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:21 PM
Sick an Twsd

Correct me if i'm wrong but lemon law is the same error occuring 3 times correct? and money isnt really the issue, im looking at spending upwards of 17k for just the car, my issue being able to find a reliable low mileage car with a 6MT lol

everything i keep finding are dealerships with "guaranteed credit, E-1 and above financed" so more or less your typical VA beach dealerships who charge you double on a salvaged title and they pull the CEL out so you never know (buddy had this happen to him, took 4 weeks at a shop to diagnose and fix 8 codes pulled)

Originally Posted by -Trav-
Think about all the youngsters hot doggin around town in these cars, the wanna be DKs etc...just the nature of the vehicle and its core demographic (nowadays) is more likely to produce a salvage vehicle versus, say, an F150 or camry.

In regards to the loss threshold, sometimes repairs only need to reach 80% of the value to declare total loss. Depends on the insurance co. Parts for the Z are pretty expensive overall, damages add up quick.

Id say salvage is just too risky. Some things can never be put back the way they originally where. You dont want a sports car with a bent or re-welded frame. If you want a good deal, a lemon title might be for you. California laws are so lax theyll make it a lemon over the most trivial things.

Edit: just saw your response, wise decision.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:48 PM
-Trav-

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sick an Twsd
Correct me if i'm wrong but lemon law is the same error occuring 3 times correct? and money isnt really the issue, im looking at spending upwards of 17k for just the car, my issue being able to find a reliable low mileage car with a 6MT lol

everything i keep finding are dealerships with "guaranteed credit, E-1 and above financed" so more or less your typical VA beach dealerships who charge you double on a salvaged title and they pull the CEL out so you never know (buddy had this happen to him, took 4 weeks at a shop to diagnose and fix 8 codes pulled)
Thats correct, at least in CA. The lemon law of each state is different so I cant speak on them but i believe theyre similar.

My vehicle is a Lemon, branded under the previous owner. At one point it had some rear end noise so it was taken in for repair. Each time they took it in something different was replaced, and it was eventually narrowed down so the noise is now gone. However because of the multiple trips to the dealer over the same general issue, car was branded and sold cheap.

If you dont plan on ever selling the car, ever, and you know the full history of the vehicle, theres no reason not to at least consider it. If you have the money though, by all means a clean title is the safest way to go.

The real issue is insurance payouts if your car does get totaled. You may only receive half of the market value back . Would suck to total a low mileage 08 only to receive 10 grand.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Sick an Twsd

makes sense for the most part, i think i've run across a few S2Ks with lemon law buyback program. and to be honest in my job i never know whats going to happen so it looks like it's gonna be a clean title for me.

now comes the fun of finding one! haha i've been researching and looking everyday but it's getting to be a giant PIA after looking through all the emission laws >_< i was really hoping to go FI after a few years but it looks like that dream is shot ha
Old 01-27-2012, 02:55 AM
IDrm350

Originally Posted by -Trav-
Thats correct, at least in CA. The lemon law of each state is different so I cant speak on them but i believe theyre similar.

My vehicle is a Lemon, branded under the previous owner. At one point it had some rear end noise so it was taken in for repair. Each time they took it in something different was replaced, and it was eventually narrowed down so the noise is now gone. However because of the multiple trips to the dealer over the same general issue, car was branded and sold cheap.
I have a similar story. My '03 was branded a lemon for the nagging minor issues (streaky windows, rattle in rear view mirror, tire feathering, etc) common to '03s. Nissan bought it back, fixed everything with updated '05 parts and I got it for $17K when everything in my area (Oregon) was north of $21K. Worked out great for me. I didn't experience a single of the issues common to '03s because of it. And since the price of '03s has bottomed out pretty bad, I was able to get fair market value despite the brand when I sold it back in August.

One thing to note, in some states, the title may not be branded. Mine was branded in California by the original owner but when I registered it in Oregon, the title was clear. When I re-registered it in CA, the brand came back. Just something to watch out for.