Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 03:33 PM
LunchBox20

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Fuel question

Ok, lately my car has been having trouble starting, not cause of the starter or battery, but seemingly like the fuel pump is dying.

Now to add to to this, the fuel gauge on the cluster hasn't worked in a few months, which I usually fill up once I've gone 300miles.

I've researched this and have gotten mixed information. Saying that there was a TSB/Recall on the 03-05 Z's for a fuel gauge related issue, and I've heard that its covered, and I've heard that it isn't.

Has anyone had personal experience with this, and share some knowledge on the issue? And if so, which dealership did you go to, or did you just replace it yourself.

I would like to have an accurate working fuel gauge in the car, and rid myself of this trouble starting.

Parts wise, I'm assuming what would need to be replaced could be the fuel pump or fuel level sending unit, or both.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:59 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If its the fuel pump you need, I'd gladly trade my oem fuel pump for your nismo badge ,,,currently using Walbro...

Also its not paricularly hard to pull the pump out either; done it a gazillion times on my car with all my mods...

As for the TSB, I suggest calling different dealerships...you'll be surprised what a different range of anwers you'll get on TSB's...just pick the dealership that will cover the TSB...

Originally Posted by LunchBox20
Ok, lately my car has been having trouble starting, not cause of the starter or battery, but seemingly like the fuel pump is dying.

Now to add to to this, the fuel gauge on the cluster hasn't worked in a few months, which I usually fill up once I've gone 300miles.

I've researched this and have gotten mixed information. Saying that there was a TSB/Recall on the 03-05 Z's for a fuel gauge related issue, and I've heard that its covered, and I've heard that it isn't.

Has anyone had personal experience with this, and share some knowledge on the issue? And if so, which dealership did you go to, or did you just replace it yourself.

I would like to have an accurate working fuel gauge in the car, and rid myself of this trouble starting.

Parts wise, I'm assuming what would need to be replaced could be the fuel pump or fuel level sending unit, or both.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:22 AM
LunchBox20

Thanks for the input
I'll hit up a few of the "mod friendly" dealers and see what they say.

Does anyone have a particular dealership that they have worked with before?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:06 AM
justin4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear fontana Nissan is the ****. I had the same gauge problem I had my mechanic pull out the sender unit in the gas tank and reassemble it and it has been working since then. He said something was stuck in the sending unit.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:13 AM
LunchBox20

If thats the case, I may just try that myself
Old 04-13-2012, 08:31 PM
kajuraelai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its easy to replace the fuel pump OP! very very easy! i also took the time to replace the cheap screws . dont pay anyone to do it man... takes maybe an hour if your really mechanically "handicapped"
Old 04-14-2012, 03:36 AM
LunchBox20

Yeah, I was planning on doing it today but weather was toooo cold,lol