Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

GM auto show in motion event -- drive GM cars in a road course for free

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 07:15 PM
maximadave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GM auto show in motion event -- drive GM cars on a road course for free

www.autoshowinmotion.com

here are the details....

Q. Can you tell me about the event?
A. General Motors is inviting consumers in your area to participate in a unique driving experience. It's an opportunity for you and a guest to experience the full range of our vehicles and actually drive them head to head against some of the primary competition. We provide a completely hassle-free environment - all we ask is that you come and drive our new products. We'll even provide refreshments and a kids' activity area if you want to bring the family. Please remember, however, you must present a valid driver's license and be 21 years of age to drive the vehicles.

Q. How do I register for AutoShow in Motion?
A. You must register no later than Wednesday, January 14 at 5:00 PM. There are three ways to register for AutoShow in Motion: 1) Guests may register by calling 1-877-THE-ASIM (1-877-843-2746). 2) Guests may also register by filling out the online registration form. 3) Registration will also be accepted on site, however availability may be limited.

Q. What are the times available for registration?
A. Thursday, January 15 - Sunday, January 18. Times available for registration are 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM on Thursday and 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM Friday through Sunday.

Q. What vehicles are available at the event?
A. There will be over 100 vehicles for you to choose from, including Cadillac, Lexus, HUMMER, Mercedes-Benz, Buick, Toyota, Corvette, Saturn, Saab, Pontiac, Nissan, Chevrolet, Honda and GMC.

Q. Are there any fees?
A. There is no cost. GM is simply giving you the opportunity to become familiar with the many different vehicles that we offer.

Q. Will there be GM dealer salespeople?
A. No, this is a hassle-free, no sales-pressure event.

Q. Who is sponsoring the event?
A. General Motors.

Q. Is there a charge for parking?
A. Simply bring the e-mail verification of your registration for admittance to the event and for complimentary parking.

Q. What time do the registration phone lines close?
A. Phone lines are open Monday - Sunday, 8:00 AM - 11:00 PM EDT. You must register no later than Wednesday, January 14 at 5:00 PM. Customer service representatives will assist you with registration up to 5:00 PM EDT on Wednesday, January 14. If you do not register prior to this date and time, you may still call 1-877-THE-ASIM (1-877-843-2746) to speak with a customer service representative regarding availability for on-site registration. However, availability may be limited.

Q. Will there be any activities for kids at the event?
A. Yes, there will be many activities for kids of all ages while you are taking the opportunity to drive at the event.

Q. Are there age limits for the kids' activities?
A. There is no age limit.

Q. What facilities will be used for the kids' activities?
A. The activities will be outdoors. In case of rain, a tent will be provided.

Q. What type of food and beverage will be served?
A. Light snacks and beverages will be provided.

Q. How long does this take?
A. You can spend as much time as you like, depending on the number of vehicles you test-drive. Most people take a few hours to enjoy themselves.

Q. How many people can I bring?
A. You can bring as many guests as you like. Please note that all guests will be required to register on-site at the event.

Q. Why do I need to RSVP?
A. We prefer that you RSVP so that we can optimize your AutoShow in Motion experience.

Q. Can I test-drive more than one vehicle?
A. Yes, you may test-drive as many vehicles as you like, however test-drives will be based on vehicle availability.

Q. What if I don't have a driver's license or am not 21 years of age?
A. You're welcome to attend the event and view the vehicles; however, you will not be able to test-drive vehicles without having a valid driver's license and being at least 21 years of age.

Q. What if I need to cancel or change my registration?
A. Call 1-877-THE-ASIM (1-877-843-2746) and our customer service representative will assist you.

Q. How much time in advance should I show up for registration?
A. There is no need to show up any earlier than the time you registered for.

Q. Will there be car seats available for children?
A. Yes, we will have car seats available at each course for drivers with children.

Q. What are the driving course rules?
A.
Follow directions of AutoShow in Motion staff at all times
Drivers must be 21 years of age or older with a valid driver's license and insurance
Drivers and passengers should be in good medical condition with no injuries that could be impaired by participation in the event
Always wear your safety belts and use proper child restraints
Drive vehicles in a safe and controlled manner
Do not start driving until instructed to do so
Children 12 years or younger must ride in the back seat
Where appropriate based on age and weight, children must use a separate child restraint.
No eating, smoking or drinking in vehicles
No alcohol or drugs
Failure to abide by these rules will result in a loss of driving privileges
In order to drive the HUMMER H2, you must first complete one drive on either the SUV or the Truck course. Limit one (1) H2 drive per person.
In order to drive the Corvette, you must first complete one drive on either the Small & Mid-size Car course or Luxury car course. Limit one (1) Corvette drive per person.

Q. Where is the event located?
A. Qualcomm Stadium - San Diego, CA. Click here for directions to the event.

Q. How do I make arrangements for special needs at the event?
A. Anyone needing special assistance at the event is asked to email us at asimsupport@gmrworks.com in advance. Please provide a detailed description of your needs along with a phone number where you can be reached. A customer service representative will contact you by the next business day to discuss your needs and will make the best effort to provide services accordingly.

Q. Are pets allowed at the event?
A. No, pets are not allowed at the event.

Last edited by maximadave; 01-03-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:41 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Thanks for the heads up...I signed up for the event at the Fairplex 1-29/2-1-04
Old 01-04-2004, 11:27 AM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks fun! But I can't go....
Hope they offer something like this in the future again.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:33 PM
gibbsy1
Charter Member #33

Anybody doing/done this?

I went this morning. Stood in line for about 45 minutes to drive the manual GTO. There are very few cars that are worth standing in line 45 minutes to drive, and the GTO is not one of them.

Actually, in fairness to the GTO, the roadcourse is only good for about 25 seconds of driving. Was told to keep it under 25 mph also. Which, was probably a good idea, since it was the same course that other little econoboxes were driving on.

Anyway, the GTO sounds pretty sweet, which it should with the 5.7 V8. Seemed to handle ok, but again, I was only going 25 mph. Interior was nice, I liked the leather seats, which were well bolstered.

What I couldn't stand was the gearbox. Compared to the Z, it felt horrible. No precision at all, very spongy going into gear. Didn't really care for the feel of the clutch or the accelerator either. Must be why it comes standard as an automatic.

But, driving the GTO did allow me a quick trip in the Z06. Oh my God!! That was sweet!! Again, not much of a trip, about 20-25 seconds, but you get to open it up. There's a rider with you who gives instruction. Start out with a short straight, where you accelerate into second, then a few quick turns, then the long back straight (long for this place anyway). As soon as you get to second gear, you're to leave both hands on the wheel. Once into the long straight, the guy said 'floor it.' I did and damn does that thing go. Stayed on it until he told me to get on the brakes for the last fairly sharp turn, went a little too deep, ABS kicked in, but no worries at all.

Everyone that drove it came out of there with the biggest grin on their face. So much fun.

That was all I had time to do, although there really wasn't anything else there worth driving. Plus, had to get back to work. Would have been cool if they had done it a couple of weeks earlier when I was off work, but what are you going to do. Now I really wish I could get to the Track Day up at Willow in March with everyone. Damn work!