Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Is Autobacs worth the drive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 02:13 PM
rouxeny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Autobacs worth the drive?

I'm back in town for the remainder of the week and I was wondering if making the drive out to the Super Autobacs store was worth it. I'm not that far away, but who wants to be disappointed right?

Sorry I'm missing all the events that you guys have set up. I'm leaving on Saturday (3/6) night, or I'd be up for HIN.

I've only seen one Z so far, driving on Hawthorne in Torrance. Super black with a few stickers.

Bobowah, I'll look for yours in the parking lot.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:22 PM
jimster716

In short...no. It's a big store taken up by a lot of stereo stuff, air fresheners and tires. Prices aren't that great either. I live down the road and I've been there twice and that was last year.
Old 02-29-2004, 04:41 PM
islandsnow

You got to admit, it has potential. It's a huge store and a nice mechanics bay, they had parts on the walls and stuff, but when you ask, they never had them in stock. They always have to order stuff. But if you want that hard to find japanese wax or something, they got that kind of stuff too, lots of racing oils and things like that are cool, the PIAA lighting rack was cool too, helped me pick out some bulbs. Other than that, you're right, prices aren't great, and they need freakin more Z parts in there, not enough mechanical parts, they do have tons of stereo and lcd displays though. It's disappointing in the way that Autobacs in Japan, you see real fixed up cars there and mechanics putting in turbo's and what not, here you see people buying air freshners, it's a let down.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:42 PM
rouxeny

Heh, thanks. I guess it's skippable then.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:38 AM
e46fanatic

Originally posted by islandsnow
You got to admit, it has potential. It's a huge store and a nice mechanics bay, they had parts on the walls and stuff, but when you ask, they never had them in stock. They always have to order stuff. But if you want that hard to find japanese wax or something, they got that kind of stuff too, lots of racing oils and things like that are cool, the PIAA lighting rack was cool too, helped me pick out some bulbs. Other than that, you're right, prices aren't great, and they need freakin more Z parts in there, not enough mechanical parts, they do have tons of stereo and lcd displays though. It's disappointing in the way that Autobacs in Japan, you see real fixed up cars there and mechanics putting in turbo's and what not, here you see people buying air freshners, it's a let down.
I agree with you that it's a big let down. When I went in there it seems like their focus was on wheels, stereo, LCD's, ---boring stuff I'm uninterested in. I wondered if the mechanics/techs there even know how to install a turbo, swap engine, etc.--besides the regular oil change.

The only thing I like about the shop is that it is huge and on the second floor I could spend hours reading up on the books and magazines you can't find anywhere else.