Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Is AAA membership worth it ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 09:34 PM
desiZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is AAA membership worth it ?

Hey ppl,
I used to have the Nissan security plus (with towing etc) on my 2002 altima, which I cancelled when I sold my car, I didn't get the same thing on my Z, so I was wondering if anyone thinks its a good idea ? AAA membership that is.... considering I'm pretty sure i won't run out of fuel or get a dead battery... towing is the only part i think i'll need... or maybe not ?

thanks!
Old 04-27-2004, 09:40 PM
Hunter Z
Banned

Default Maybe

If you get AAA, pay the extra $$ for the free 100 mile tow plan. I have the basic plan, which only pays for 7 miles free towing. One of my cars got fugged up at the racetrack at Willow Springs, and I had to have it towed on a flatbed back to the nearest dealer, which was 77 miles away. At $5 a mile (that's actually pretty cheap for a flatbed) after the first 7 miles, it cost me $350 for the tow !!!

Better yet, join the National Motorists Assn. (NMA). They don't offer towing, but they advocate for driving enthusiasts like us. They helped get the national 55 mph limit repealed some years ago. Check out their website. www.motorists.org
Old 04-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i think it is..
i live out in the boonies. having the AAA plus 100+ mile towing is a nice safety net.

besides... if you're really lazy before your year is up. you can daisy-chain your four tows and 'ship' your car to northern california if you want to, on a flat bed....
Old 04-27-2004, 09:54 PM
desiZ

Originally posted by Chebosto
i think it is..
i live out in the boonies. having the AAA plus 100+ mile towing is a nice safety net.

besides... if you're really lazy before your year is up. you can daisy-chain your four tows and 'ship' your car to northern california if you want to, on a flat bed....
haha good one cheston ....
Old 04-27-2004, 10:41 PM
Phatmitzu

Originally posted by Chebosto
... if you're really lazy before your year is up. you can daisy-chain your four tows and 'ship' your car to northern california if you want to, on a flat bed....
Good idea!
How much is it extra for the 100+ plan? I have the regular plan(7 miles), and I pay around 68 per year.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Wedge

AAA is a good deal in my opinion and not only for things related to your car. When I moved to California and had my home built, the county still had the area listed as a brush fire hazard. Even though anyone could see that the area was no longer full of "brush", most of the insurance companies said they could not offer insurance on my home due to the county brush fire hazard maps. AAA came to the rescue, sent someone to take a look at the area and offered me insurance at a very reasonable cost despite the county maps. In fact, after 8 years, they still have the best rate.
Old 04-27-2004, 10:50 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i pay for me and my gf.. on the plus plan... its really not that much more.. like $100 or so for the both of us.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:26 AM
Mr Twisted

Oh ya they've pulled me out of major issues for many years. Been a member for 50 years now ...... seen to use there services at least 2-3 times a year.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:57 AM
Hunter Z
Banned

Default 50 Years !!!

Ron -

I knew you were not a spring chicken, but 50 years as a member of AAA ?!?!?

And you joined when you got your drivers license at age 16? Even I can do that math. LOL
Old 04-28-2004, 09:05 AM
ZuprCar

In order to get the Plus membership in Cali, you have to be a regular member for at least a year. The tows itself is worth it I think. Plus the fact that you can take care of DMV registration and certain transactions is even better. And to top it off, you get pretty good discounts at a lot of restaurants and places.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:08 AM
desiZ

Originally posted by Phatmitzu
Good idea!
How much is it extra for the 100+ plan? I have the regular plan(7 miles), and I pay around 68 per year.
hmm do you have a dependant ? cause its 44 a year for the basic... how come ur paying 68 ?
Old 04-28-2004, 10:44 AM
Scafremon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 50 Years !!!

Originally posted by Hunter Z
Ron -

I knew you were not a spring chicken, but 50 years as a member of AAA ?!?!?

And you joined when you got your drivers license at age 16? Even I can do that math. LOL
I've got Ron beat on this one. My Gold AAA Membership card says:

Years as Member: 58
Old 04-28-2004, 11:14 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Just having them proxy most DMV transactions so I rarely have to go to that hell hole is worth $100 a year.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Phatmitzu

Originally posted by desiZ
hmm do you have a dependant ? cause its 44 a year for the basic... how come ur paying 68 ?
Yeah, my GF. She uses it more than me...cuz she always forgets her car key in her car
Old 04-28-2004, 11:56 AM
callmeaflirt

AAA is definately worth it..Not only does it offer the car services (tow, gas, locked keys in the car) but it give you discounts EVERYWHERE....A lot of restaurants give 10% off to AAA members. Same thing at theme parks. Aquarium of the Pacific and Sea World too....AND, they give you free maps and hotel guides if you are traveling out of state or town...I was thankful to have AAA when Kash and I took our trip to Canada.

We didnt leave CA thinking we were going to Canada. We drove thru Yosemite and Kernville....We stopped at the AAA locations that we saw along the way and got maps and hotel guides (all for free) and discount coupons for the next state we planned to visit. We got to Oregon, did the same thing there....Got to Washington, did the same thing there....Got all the way to Canada...and the only way we knew how to get there? The FREE maps from AAA! And all the hotels we stayed at? All recommended by AAA and saved us 10-20% off of our hotel stays. (PLUS, you can order maps and hotel guides online thru their website and have them shipped to your house for FREE!) I have the AAA card only for emergencies....but the rest of the discounts.....its totally worth it.

Lysa
Old 04-28-2004, 12:41 PM
thumper90501

AAA is worth it in my opinion for the DMV services alone. Don't have to wait in those nasty a** lines.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:37 PM
Hunter Z
Banned

Default I tried to upgrade

I tried to upgrade my membership to the 100 miles free towing plan. They said you have to not have had an AAA tow for 12 months before you can upgrade (not just be a member for 12 months). Rats!

P.S. My card says member 32 years.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:06 PM
Grey Matter

Default Re: Re: 50 Years !!!

Originally posted by Scafremon
I've got Ron beat on this one. My Gold AAA Membership card says:

Years as Member: 58
Scafremon, you sure don't look that old
I have been a member for 48 years. Funny thing is I am only 36.

Also don't forget that many businesses give discounts for AAA members. I just ordered a bike rack for our SUV and saved and extra $4.00 on a $42.00 rack.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:22 PM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been a AAA member since the day I turned 16 and got a license (ugh, 20 years ago on Friday). It is absolutely worth it. I have AAA Plus membership, and I've had to have cars towed a few times over the years. Like the others have said, it's great having access to maps and tour books, a place to get registrations handled other then the DMV, discounts on hotels and attractions, etc., etc. Membership can easily pay for itself each year in savings alone. Just do it!
Old 04-29-2004, 06:33 AM
desiZ

Default Thank you everyone!

Thanks everyone for all your views... I joined this morning .... It should say on my card .. Member : 0.1 years .. lol ..

Quick Reply: Is AAA membership worth it ?