Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Where did everyone go?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 11:51 AM
ZuprCar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Scafremon
Thanks for the pic Ha.

(I've attached it here).

The shore is closer to the parking then I had remembered.

Ha - does that stretch of beach get pretty packed during this time of year? How early would 30-40 people have to get there to be parked in the same general area? I wouldn't want to recommend that someone 'hold' spaces if the lot fills up early. Families heading out to the beach from Upland might be a little pissed if the only parking available is ropped off as 'reserved for Z's' and we tell them to find another beach.
I think that stretch of beach is Capo Beach. Doheny is a little further up and the parking lot is much larger. I couldn't see it in the pic, I think it's hidden by the trees in the picture. If we wanted to go to Capo Beach though, the parking lot is packed full and PCH is lined with cars (since it's free). Doheny is pretty empty, except 4th of July. I've been to Doheny before for a different car meet (30-40 cars) and there was plenty of parking and bbq spaces (grass or sand) available.
Old 05-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Phatmitzu

Oh wow beautiful. Where is that at? How far is it from LA?
Old 05-14-2004, 02:41 PM
cbwidebodyz

hey a beach meet would be great. i have no problem with it, but i think a lot of people were concerned about bringing their cars and then getting sand into them.. the last time these was brought up at a meet
Old 05-14-2004, 02:49 PM
___DJK___

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by cbwidebodyz
hey a beach meet would be great. i have no problem with it, but i think a lot of people were concerned about bringing their cars and then getting sand into them.. the last time these was brought up at a meet
Ill bring my mini-vac for them
Old 05-14-2004, 06:03 PM
Scafremon

>> I think that stretch of beach is Capo Beach. Doheny is a little further up and the parking lot is much larger. I couldn't see it in the pic, I think it's hidden by the trees in the picture.

I think you are right, in that Doheny might be more along that curve, and more south facing (I seem to recall the shore break was not very good for body-surfing).

You are right about the pay-for-parking, and that probably does help keep the crowd down some, when they can park for free further south, and get better waves. There is a park-like area as soon as you enter the beach (large grass area, tables, fire-pits), then you drive past the overnite camping area, and then (as I recall) there is a long narrow parking area for like a mile or so, much like in that pic.

I liked it because the parking kinda spreads people out, as opposed to a single large lot, where people tend to be all bunched near it.

Are people really worried about getting sand in their footwells, or am I missing something?

The beach is about 50 miles from downtown LA - south on the 5 to Dana Point.

I'm not familiar with all the available beaches, I just remember that this beach seemed to allow a bit more elbow room for visitors.

>> I've been to Doheny before for a different car meet (30-40 cars) and there was plenty of parking and bbq spaces (grass or sand) available.

That's good to know! Maybe this is a pretty good spot for us!
Attached Thumbnails Where did everyone go?-fixmpsvc.gif  
Old 05-14-2004, 09:14 PM
hpz

Jeff & Zuprcar,
That whole stretch is Doheny Beach. Capo Beach is to the left of the picture (not shown in the picture). To get to the parking lot in the picture, one has to pay at the gate to be into Doheny Beach.
I rarely go down to that beach. However, last year Eric (BullishZ) and I did scout that stretch to prepare for the OC meet.

Ha
Old 05-14-2004, 10:43 PM
rodH

ya, I use to live on Capo beach a while back, if you look at that picture the area towards the top with the trees is Doheny state beach/park, the point further out towards the water is dana point, and if the camara were to pan to the left just a bit it would be Capo Beach (public) and just south of that is the private capo beach homes. The road is obviously PCH, I think the building just below the pick is either a hotel or some resturantes (Olamendi's??)
Old 05-19-2004, 05:45 AM
G35to350Z-12

Hi everyone,

I've been out here lurking. I got real put off by all the negative vibes in the past few weeks of postings. So far, I've attended three events: 1) Mr. Twisted's gathering at Raahauge's Range, 2) Lysa & Kash picnic in Torrance and 3) Performance Driving Clinic at ButtonWillow (May 9). I'm also signed up for the June 4th event at Willow Springs.

I hope all the negativity is behind us and that we, as a group, and as individuals can proceed with a spirit of fellowship and good-will.

I live in Cerritos and Work near LAX (405 Fwy and El Segundo Boulevard). If anyone would like to get together for lunch in the South Bay area, send me a PM.

Jeff D.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:34 AM
h2oskier177

at the picnic in Torrence, there was a mention of an Idylwild run.
Is this event still tentative.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:38 PM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

Let's do something before August please...I'd like to see everyone one last time before I hit the road (traveling every weekend from Aug - Feb 6, '05 Superbowl Sunday)
Old 05-20-2004, 05:36 AM
Grey Matter

I have a suggestion, since Pat introduced many of us to great canyons in the Simi & Santa Clarita Valley lets do it again: Our first run
Attached Thumbnails Where did everyone go?-pb164289.jpg  
Old 05-20-2004, 07:47 AM
ChrisMCagle

Originally posted by Grey Matter
I have a suggestion, since Pat introduced many of us to great canyons in the Simi & Santa Clarita Valley lets do it again: Our first run
Sounds good to me! Scenery looks pretty sweet in that picture.

-Chris
Old 05-20-2004, 08:46 AM
AudioPat
Sponsor
Up Front Enterprises

If we do this again, let's reverse the direction
Old 05-20-2004, 09:40 AM
EL Diablo

I down for another run sometime in June.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:24 AM
Grey Matter

How does mid July sound? I know that GroupZ is having the ZCCA convention in June.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:52 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by h2oskier177
at the picnic in Torrence, there was a mention of an Idylwild run.
Is this event still tentative.
Yes... that's still a potential candidate for our runs but it depends on how early everyone is willing to wake up in the morning. We'd have to be there at the latest 7:30am, prefer earlier to beat traffic. I should be posting a thread about this pretty soon.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:56 PM
hpz

Duane: Your posted picture reminds me of the good time we had on that day: Meeting new friends and driving around in our new & long-waited Z's.

Jeff: Are you going to go ahead with the Doheny Beach meet. Let me know if I am of any help. You can use my house as a post-meet or something.

Pat: As usual, I will spend part of my summer (over a month) in Vietnam, leaving in early July. So if I do not see you till then, have a great time on the road with you new assignment.

Ha