Notices
Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Went from a 350Z to a TL and back

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 08:58 PM
ISH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went from a 350Z to a TL and back

Hey Everyone,
I sure missed my Z. But now it's back and I could not be happier. I originally had one of the first 03 Z's (vin#459). I was enjoyed the heck out of it until all the problems started popping up: transmission, tire feathering, creaking in rear suspension, window streaks, bad driver's side window regulator. But after enduring 27 service visits over the course of a year, I had enough and initiated a Lemon Law case against Nissan. NNA didn't even put up a fight and bought my car back. As difficult as it was, I decided to jump ship and get an 04 Acura TL 6spd with NAV (What was I thinking!!!!!) My decision was more out of frustration given the reliability problems of my Z. The TL was a good compromise between luxury and sportiness but it was no Z. After a few weeks I found myself miserable driving this TL. Even all the tech goodies like 6 channel DVD-Audio and bluetooth could not make up for the horrible torque steer and light steering. Boy did I miss my Z. So I did something about it and after calling 30 or so dealers in the tri-state area, I finally found a Silverstone Touring 6spd with NAV. So to make a long story short, I traded in the TL, took a $6000 hit, and drove my new Z home with the plastic still on it and a smile on my face. Everyone on the highway thought I was crazy for driving the car with the plastic still on it. But who cares, my car is one month old with 8 coats of Zaino and not one single swirl or microscratch. For anyone that still has not gotten a Z, I highly recommend that you take delivery with the plastic still on the car. Hell I made the dealer write on the contract," Customer does not want the car washed or plastic removed." They also thought I was a nut. Anyways, I just had the clearbra installed (front and rear bumbers, headlights, front fenders, and hood). A GREAT INVESTMENT! My previous Z was in the bodyshop every six months because of all the rock chips so this time I had learned my lesson.

What will I miss about the TL?
1.Luxury interior- great leather quality, real aluminum trim, cool blue lighting
2.Quiet Cabin- I will really miss the quietness of this car
4.Backseat
5.Trunk
6.Traction- great in the snow

What I won't miss?
1.Non-existant exhaust tone- I had to rev it up to 6000 RPM just to hear it
2.Torque Steer- One big nightmare. Too much power going to the front wheels.
3.Light Steering- I never knew which way the car was going to go when I hit a pothole
4.Boring Exterior- Hey, there's nothing on the road sexier than a Z except maybe a 911 or a Modena.

Overall, the TL was nice but nowhere near as sexy or as much fun as the Z. Perhaps when Acura makes a RWD or AWD TL I might consider one. But for now Z all the way.

For all who are considering getting a Z but might be nervous about all the problems mentioned on this forum, I would say go for it. My new Z (2004.5) is problem free after 2000 miles. My previous Z had problems from day one which I'm sure were mainly due to it being one of the first Z's off the assembly line. The tranny is much smoother than my 03 Z. The window streaks are gone, and even the Bose system sounds better. Don't know about the tire feathering yet, it's hit or miss I guess.

If anyone has any questions regarding my Lemon Law experience feel free to PM me.

ISH
Old 05-17-2004, 09:07 PM
AmyCroft

Default Nice Write up ISH

ISH

Good to have you back..

About the torque steer and pot holes - always to the curb - Right?

Cheers Amy -
Old 05-18-2004, 10:23 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

The Acura TL is hands down my favorite sports sedan ... the styling is perfect, but quite a different car than the Z.

I'd absolutely consider one down the line if they offered RWD/AWD as you said -- but only as an addition, not a replacement for my 350.

I don't know who's stupid decision it was to make it FWD with all that power. It's selling well, but i'd bet it would smoke the whole sport sedan market with RWD.
Old 05-20-2004, 05:29 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I came from 2000 Acura TL to Z.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:45 PM
frenzee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the new TL's styling. Very bold, very different from a Z and just about anything else on the road, nowhere close to an A4/S4 in sexiness, but damned gorgeous for a sedan and very well executed. I'm not talking performance of course – just style.

It looks like Acura and Audi have kidnapped all the artistic and styling talent from Bavarian Motor Werks and Mazda. I can't fathom the grotesqueness of BMW's new lines. What were they thinking? And don’t even get me started on the RX8. It’s beyond description. What a monstrosity! What were they thinking, indeed.