Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

Speeding Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 09:04 AM
FijiZRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding Ticket

So I was on my way to school this morning and got pulled over for doing 75 in a 65 on the highway because I was getting late for class. I just moved to San Antonio a few months ago and I already have two speeding violations from California. What should I do? I still have my California liscense so will the other two tickets transfer to here or not? I do not want this to affect my insurance because it is already high. What steps should I take? Should I hire a lawyer? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:17 AM
savvy

wow that sucks....75 in a 65 isn't even that bad. Flow of morning traffic everyday to work here is 80-82 in a 55 and the cops never stop anyone, they just sit there and watch to make sure no one is weaving in and out.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by savvy
wow that sucks....75 in a 65 isn't even that bad. Flow of morning traffic everyday to work here is 80-82 in a 55 and the cops never stop anyone, they just sit there and watch to make sure no one is weaving in and out.
must be nice, morning traffic in houston moves 15 mph tops.

Frijiz...i dont think states share ticket info. I could be wrong, but once you give up your Cali ID to the DMV, the DPS will issue you a Texas license. Notice how Cali has the DMV and we have the DPS.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:37 AM
FijiZRacer

How can I check if my other two tickets have been transferred here? Should I contact an attorney?
Old 11-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Originally Posted by FijiZRacer
How can I check if my other two tickets have been transferred here? Should I contact an attorney?
nope. you can call any DPS office and check tickets in houston via phone.

Not too sure about the DMV. Never had a ticket living in Daygo. Never had a car when I lived there, now that I think about it. lol. Everything was on the Navy base.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:02 AM
FijiZRacer

What about this deferred adjudication? What is it and can I use it?
Old 11-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Old School
Shift_Boost

As long as you don't get anymore tickets, then you pretty much get out of it. I always get my lawyer to take care of it. DD sucks. lol.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:10 PM
danisr1
Sleeps in 350Z

Cali is the hardest state to get a report from. I am in insurance and cali does not share records with other states. Texas is not any better, which means you should be fine.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:12 PM
FijiZRacer

Do you think i should get a lawyer or is it too minor for that? Do you think the whole thing with the court date extensions and hoping the cop won't show up will work? I need help...
Old 11-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's minor, but show to court, and talk to the prosecutor to see about getting the charge changed to something that won't hurt insurance.....no "points"
Old 11-27-2006, 12:26 PM
FijiZRacer

can I go to court before my written date to try and get the charge reduced or try to get deferred adjudication, or do i have to go on the specified date?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:48 PM
NS_350GT

Go on the date set, ask for deferred adjudafication. You will will still have to pay some of the fine but wont go on your record. Not to sure how the points thing works. Not a real big ticket. Good luck
Old 11-27-2006, 01:09 PM
FijiZRacer

How long will the whole process take? And isn't the "points" the same thing as my "record"? Another thing: should I exchange my CA liscense for a TX one? Will that benefit my situation in any way? Thank you all for your input so far, more is always welcome...
Old 11-27-2006, 03:22 PM
af350z

I think you have to change your license once you have residence for more than a month. And depending on your state they can report it. That happened to me about two months ago. I got a ticket in NC, but I didn't pay it and they reported in to Texas, because that is where my license is from. But yours is opposite of mine. I think you should just go to court on said date and for the deferment (sp) pay a small fine and afterwards it will stay off your record and it won't get reported to your state or insurance.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:02 PM
nareg

man all i gotta say is hire an attorney. here in houston theres a guy his name is david sprecher and he got me off everytime i called him. ask around and find out who is a good lawyer in san antonio and call him up and get that **** off your record. not many people have time to sit in some sorry *** defensive driving class. and if you have a differed already then if your proven guilty i think both of your tickets go on your record so hire a lawyer and get that **** off your record so you do not have to worry about it.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:34 AM
FijiZRacer

About how much would an attorney cost me?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:30 AM
trentor

most likely you won't be able to get a TX driver's license until you pay your tickets in Cali.

i lived in Colorado and got a ticket for no inspection sticker in a friend's truck I was borrowing. i didn't pay it and moved to TX a couple months later. when i tried to get my TX license, they declined my application. i had to pay the one in CO first.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:33 PM
jakesford

Texas doesn't have a "point" system thank god.

You choice are to plead guilty which you can do by mail or court.
Not guilty and have a trial
deferred adjudication <-- New law passed in Texas that you have to be 25+ to use. (probation where you can't get another ticket for one year)
Defensive Driving <-- Can only use this every 6 months

The last two don't go on your record. Also you can't use the last two if you were in a school or construction zone.

Anyone can correct me on this though

I don't know about the California license, and your tickets in California?

Last edited by jakesford; 11-28-2006 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:34 PM
rpacman

Reality is that if you have already pleaded guilty for the tickets in Cali. More than likely it's reported to your insurance agency. My insurance agency still has my speedings tickets from 1996 in their files and those were from NC when i was stationed there. It doesnt count against me anymore but it's there regardless. If you plead guilty to this one you received in TX, it will be on your insurance. So my advice to you is, seek a lawyer or get it deferred. You can get the Defensive Driving online now so check that out. You will still have to go to trial and tell the judge, regardless if you get a lawyer. Sorry buddy. GL

if you want to fight it, get a lawyer. If you are going to get it deferred, you can represent yourself, just tell the judge or clerk. Traffic Lawyers charge around 50 to 100 per offense.

Hope this helps
Old 11-28-2006, 06:42 PM
FijiZRacer

Thanks for the help guys, I rly appreciate it. I can't defer it i guess because I am not 25 yet, so i'll try to get the defensive driving classes hopefully. Would anyone happen to know a good traffic lawyer in the San Antonio area?

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket