Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

Assembly of my APS TT: Invitation

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 AM
DDS_RACER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Assembly of my APS TT: Invitation

To those of you interested, in approximately one month I will be installing an APS TT Tuner kit on my Z and in my backyard.

Yes, in my backyard!!

I can do most of this work alone, however, there are some aspects of this install that will require the help of my fellow my350z friends. Specifically, the engine R/R and fuel line install.

I could just hire a mechanic to help me out with this project, but to sit back and watch someone else do this would be boring imo. So I am asking anybody, especially those who have experience installing TT kits or have engine R/R experience, to please help. PM's welcomed. The main objective in doing this on my own is to learn. Therefore, I am also inviting those who would also like to learn how to install your own TT kit to come out and join us.

I'm a full-time grad student so this project would take place mostly on Saturday's. Again anybody with a background in mechanics, specifically TT installer, or just interested in learning this stuff, come out. The kit should arrive approx. on Nov. 10, but I wanted to start on the prep work for engine R/R before then and before it gets really cold.

Thanks guys

AOF

PS I'm in the Irving area

Last edited by DDS_RACER; 10-14-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:56 AM
vincereautmori

i want to come and learn, it would be a great birthday present for me (Nov 10 is my bday). im looking to piece together a single kit.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:17 PM
batmanesaul

where in texas are u?
Old 10-14-2007, 01:07 PM
DDS_RACER

Originally Posted by DDS_RACER

Too bad you're located in Houston, Bat
Old 10-15-2007, 10:30 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where in irving, can i get some free dental work?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:14 AM
firekrave

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not a whole lot of mechanical know how here, but should be fun. I would chip in for some pizza. lol
Old 10-15-2007, 11:57 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

I am also inviting those who would also like to learn how to install your own TT kit to come out and join us.
Im game for this - its going to be some work man -
Old 10-15-2007, 12:30 PM
moog

I wouldn't mind swinging by to check things out. I self installed my Vortech kit, injectors, fuel pump, exhaust, plenum spacer, suspension, etc.

So you're planning to pull the whole motor to install the kit?
Old 10-15-2007, 04:33 PM
DDS_RACER

Originally Posted by SpeedRcr
where in irving, can i get some free dental work?
I'll only throw in free dental work to the first person who supplies the engine crane

Originally Posted by acidjake75
Im game for this - its going to be some work man -
I know man...that's why I will only to commit to this if enough people step up with experience in this line of work. I feel like I've done my reading and can apply the theory but it's different once you get at it. One thing for sure I'm going to be extremely organized about this. The plan will be to spell out everything in calendar format so that people will know what's taking place on a given date. For example, before each meet, I will post on this thread the obectives for that particular day's work i.e. remove front bumper, remove radiator etc.

In this way: 1) People will know exactly what will take place on a given date and you can feel free to come by or stay home and watch college football. 2) I'm hoping that enough people with certain sub-specialities will chime in and can help on the days we actually need them! 3) To avoid chaos 4) To keep on schedule and avoid my Z becoming an expensive plant holder with no engine.

Originally Posted by moog
I wouldn't mind swinging by to check things out. I self installed my Vortech kit, injectors, fuel pump, exhaust, plenum spacer, suspension, etc.

So you're planning to pull the whole motor to install the kit?
That's the plan man. I think it'll make for an easier install. plus, some people would probably be interested in learning how to r/r their engines anyway for a future build project.

Last edited by DDS_RACER; 10-15-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:51 PM
moog

That's like 5 minutes from GS Motorsports where I do all my work
Old 10-15-2007, 04:54 PM
DDS_RACER

awesome, what kind of work do you do there if you don't mind me asking?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:47 PM
moog

Oh I'm not actually employed there. I just get to work on my car there if I ever need to. Here's a pic from the shop on Saturday:

Old 10-15-2007, 05:54 PM
DDS_RACER

Does GSM work on 350z's? Is there anyone there you trust that can do good work on our Z's?

If so, i'll stop by and check them out...pm me there address.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:30 PM
moog

Yes they specialize in anything Nissan. German is basically the 240 guru in the DFW area. He's worked on several G35's and 350Z's.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:26 PM
Z U LTR

Default Wow!!

Hey, that is the same kit I want to get. You may want to call the people in Austin I think it's called JPS they sell and install those kits. I am sure they can guide you and help you out over the phone if you want. How much HP is it going to give you? Let me know how it works out. Because I will probably be calling you to help me out with mine.

Good Luck
Tony

To those of you interested, in approximately one month I will be installing an APS TT Tuner kit on my Z and in my backyard.

Yes, in my backyard!!

I can do most of this work alone, however, there are some aspects of this install that will require the help of my fellow my350z friends. Specifically, the engine R/R and fuel line install.

I could just hire a mechanic to help me out with this project, but to sit back and watch someone else do this would be boring imo. So I am asking anybody, especially those who have experience installing TT kits or have engine R/R experience, to please help. PM's welcomed. The main objective in doing this on my own is to learn. Therefore, I am also inviting those who would also like to learn how to install your own TT kit to come out and join us.

I'm a full-time grad student so this project would take place mostly on Saturday's. Again anybody with a background in mechanics, specifically TT installer, or just interested in learning this stuff, come out. The kit should arrive approx. on Nov. 10, but I wanted to start on the prep work for engine R/R before then and before it gets really cold.

Thanks guys

AOF

Old 10-15-2007, 08:34 PM
DDS_RACER

Oh, German?! You're kidding, i've heard so much about that guy!! cool. Please PM me the shop's address. I'd like to stop in sometime.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:40 PM
DDS_RACER

Originally Posted by Z U LTR
Hey, that is the same kit I want to get. You may want to call the people in Austin I think it's called JPS they sell and install those kits. I am sure they can guide you and help you out over the phone if you want. How much HP is it going to give you? Let me know how it works out. Because I will probably be calling you to help me out with mine.

Good Luck
Tony
Thanks Tony, the APS TT kit is definitely one of the best for our cars, second behind the APS Extreme...hands down. If I hadn't already bought the kit I'd give JPS a call.

During the process of this installation, if the end result equals success, I will post step-by-step instructions for those interested in installing this kit. What's missing is a "How-to-install a TT kit on the 350z for dummies."
Old 10-16-2007, 06:16 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

I would recommend a trip to Harbor Freight, you can buy an engine hoist (cherry picker) for around $100-150, and an engine stand for about $40. Many of the one time use tools you can get there for very cheap, and the tools that will be used several times and require reliability- go with Craftsman- you can get great quality, most have a lifetime warranty, so even if they do break, they are replaced for free.
A full set up sockets- 12pt is a must, as well as deep sockets, as well as sizes that go up to 24mm... that's a start...
there are many tools that will make life easier, as I began gathering tools as I got more involved with working on my own cars, I can look back now and see that I have spent at least $20k!!!

You will ultimately find out what tools you really need when you get to a certain point in the project and are unable to go on because of the simple lack of the appropriate tool, then you must have the know how to identify what tool will work best at that current point, and then go buy the tool...good luck, I'll be happy to aid as much as I can along the way.

TODD
Old 10-16-2007, 07:19 AM
moog

GS Motorsports
305 N Delaware St
Irving, Texas 75061
Old 10-17-2007, 12:47 PM
NISMOFO

I used to have APS TT

Anyways, I think pulling the motor out is going to be the easiest way to do the install..otherwise you need really tiny hands. I guess you can do it by partially removing the motor as well.

Quick Reply: Assembly of my APS TT: Invitation