Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

Camber kit/Lowering/Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:38 AM
LayDZee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camber kit/Lowering/Spring Question

So I'm interested in getting some Tanabe WRX GF210 Springs, but I heard rumours that you do need to buy a camber kit, and then if it's only a certain drop, that you don't need the camber kit.

The approximate drop: Front: 1.5 inch Rear: 1.0 inch

Do I really need to buy a camber kit? What would you do?

I do have 19" tires... that are fairly expensive to replace...

Feedback?

-Hal
Old 05-07-2008, 10:27 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have SPL rear camber arms on mine and I'm sure I'm lower than those springs.

Guy said I was within spec in the front surprisingly.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:42 AM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lower it, go get it aligned, they'll tell you if it's within specs, and they'll let you put the camber kit on and come back and get it realigned with no charge within a certain amount of days. At least mines did.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Nihsnek
Sic 'Em

For that amount of a drop, you will eventually need camber arms. Not worth risking the tires.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:11 PM
BaTMan_4

I got the Tanabe NF drop...an even drop all around and had no issued with camber untill about 4 months after. I dug the look though and left it as is but just recently noticed it was getting bad so i got it checked and my right rear was horrible. Waiting for my SPC camber kit to come in to get them installed. Better safe than sorry, and besides the kit isn't that expensive, beats buying new tires.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:19 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you not get an alignment after you lowered the vehicle? Did you check to see how close it was within specs after it was aligned? After you lower it, get it aligned, if it's within specs I don't see the need of getting a camber kit. BatMan you got pictures of the NF210 springs? I'm looking to get the same set soon.

Last edited by quakerroatmeal; 05-07-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:02 PM
TheBigLebowski4

Air bag it, call it a day! Slammed Z would be coo.

Last edited by TheBigLebowski4; 05-08-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:51 AM
NISMOFO

Anything over 0.5" drop and you're looking at issues. In the front if you have 1" or more you'll definitely need camber arms (which I heard can make noise) or your inside tread will be toast while the rest of your tires will look brand new. In the rear you'll need the SPC kit for sure with that kind of drop. The toe will eat your tires as well. So that's what's really important in the rear. Our cars already go through rear tires in 15-20K miles stock.

I've been through two Z's with Hotchkis drop 0.56"/0.75" and both of them I installed the SPC rear camber/toe kit on. On this Z, I just put on take-off suspension from Nismo Edition Z #867. I'm no longer into dropping the car necessarily....I just want the handling. I defintiely don't want to deal with the tirewear and camber issues either.

I used to think that if I'm going to lower a car, it needs to look lowered. But when I got my Z I realized what moderation was....and being subtle as well.

I say lowering the car is a good idea if that's what you want, but slamming it might be a huge headache for you financially with camber kits and/or tires.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:17 PM
BaTMan_4

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
Did you not get an alignment after you lowered the vehicle? Did you check to see how close it was within specs after it was aligned? After you lower it, get it aligned, if it's within specs I don't see the need of getting a camber kit. BatMan you got pictures of the NF210 springs? I'm looking to get the same set soon.
i do, i'll PM you pics as to not hi-jack the thread...
Old 05-09-2008, 01:25 PM
blasian

Originally Posted by NISMOFO
Anything over 0.5" drop and you're looking at issues. In the front if you have 1" or more you'll definitely need camber arms (which I heard can make noise) or your inside tread will be toast while the rest of your tires will look brand new. In the rear you'll need the SPC kit for sure with that kind of drop. The toe will eat your tires as well. So that's what's really important in the rear. Our cars already go through rear tires in 15-20K miles stock.

I've been through two Z's with Hotchkis drop 0.56"/0.75" and both of them I installed the SPC rear camber/toe kit on. On this Z, I just put on take-off suspension from Nismo Edition Z #867. I'm no longer into dropping the car necessarily....I just want the handling. I defintiely don't want to deal with the tirewear and camber issues either.

I used to think that if I'm going to lower a car, it needs to look lowered. But when I got my Z I realized what moderation was....and being subtle as well.

I say lowering the car is a good idea if that's what you want, but slamming it might be a huge headache for you financially with camber kits and/or tires.
Alignment shop said my car is within spec and its dropped 2" if not a little more. I only have camber arms in the rear.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:22 AM
NISMOFO

If you dropped the front-end of your car 2" and it's still w/in factory nissan specs, then some sort of act of God has taken place....lol.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:26 AM
blasian

Originally Posted by NISMOFO
If you dropped the front-end of your car 2" and it's still w/in factory nissan specs, then some sort of act of God has taken place....lol.

I agree. Great alignment place though, really nice people. I honestly don't even see how its possible, but the camber in the front and rear are extremely close from what I can see (it was waaaaaay off before, -3 in the rear), and I know he said the toe was in spec for both.