Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

Need to get brakes done in austin (or possibly houston)...I know NOTHING about cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 10:13 AM
JCDenton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to get brakes done in austin (or possibly houston)...I know NOTHING about cars

So, my brakes are squealing which I suppose means the pads need to be replaced. Based on my limited knowledge from googling/searching this forum, I think the rotors are fine (no gouges or anything like that). But, since I know basically nothing about cars, I have no way to make sure I don't get screwed.

Right now I am in Austin, which is where I live, but I'll be leaving for Houston in a couple of weeks to intern at a law firm for the rest of the summer. I *could* get the work done in Houston, but I'd rather get it done in Austin because my inspection sticker is horribly outdated and I want to get that taken care of before I leave (am I correct that I should get the brakes fixed first b/c the car would fail inspection otherwise?).

So, I need a decent place to get the pads changed in Austin. Are there any that let you bring your own pads, so I could buy them online? Or do you generally have to use theirs? Or, if anyone here is willing, I'd supply whatever parts are needed and pay (either cash, or if you need a gaming PC assembled/overclocked that's something I *CAN* do).

All suggestions/input are appreciated. I really need to learn more about cars so I don't get screwed on minor stuff like this.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:46 PM
shiftdrift06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its really simple. If you decide to do yourself, heres the DIY
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-diy/58195-how-to-change-brake-pads.html
If you was closer I would help.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:30 PM
tripndesi

Default Brakes

Well if you don't know much about cars - I really doubt you'd take on a project of DIY. You have options here, the question is how much do you want to pay.

Option 1 - Go to dealership and get raped.

Option 2 - Go to a regular brake shop and get a semi deal. Maybe a semi brake job done.

Option 3 (My personal choice) - Find a car shop in ATX that specializes in 350z's. I have a guy I completely trust with my car and as he works, he explains things on my car and answers any rookie questions I might have. He also happens to own a 400HP 350Z.

At minimum, for brake pads - the majority of my350z.com users prefer Hawk Brake Pads. Or you can do an eBay search for Factory OEM Brake Pads. If I were to buy pads, I'd go with Hawk. Get them shipped and then do your search for a 350Z shop within forums / Craigslist / Google etc.

If you need rotors (which they might suggest) I also suggest doing searches on eBay for new ones or the forums. If you want factory then it would be rather economical.

Most shops will let you bring your own brake pads / rotors. I've done it before. That's all you need to bring and they'll take care of the rest in terms of labor. Remember you're saving money on parts here and leave it to the experts to do the labor. Just ask the shop how much they charge per hour for replacing brakes especially when you have the parts yourself. Example - a dealership can charge $120 per hour and a regular shop could charge $80 bucks an hour. A Z Shop might have sympathy on you and charge $60 bucks an hour or possibly less if you're a chick.

Good luck

Last edited by tripndesi; 06-10-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:03 PM
JCDenton

Ok, I'll probably grab those Hawk pads since the factory ones seem to give way too much dust. Is ebay cheapest or is there somewhere else I should check? Also, are the ceramic ones what I need considering that I prefer longer life/less dust to pure performance?

I may just try to do it myself depending on how much the labor would cost. How many hours of labor would the typical place charge?
Old 06-11-2008, 05:26 AM
ToXiC

just upgrade to bbk lol jj
All i did before i went bbk was get the hawk pads i think at the local auto zone
To change your brakes there super easy you and a buddy could have the whole thing done front/back in about a hour