Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

Carbon Fiber Fabricator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 01:38 PM
twenzel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Fabricator?

Is there a place in austin or surrounding areas that can fabricate custom carbon fiber peices or body parts?

I want to shave some weight off this car without drastically changing the appearance.

-Tony
Old 09-24-2003, 02:06 PM
jcr847

some one needs to take the center consol piece to them and get that made in CF. I'd be in
Old 09-24-2003, 02:19 PM
SizongZ

I agree with the center console in CF
Old 09-24-2003, 02:42 PM
havabooz

IMO they should focus on parts that arnt already available

the engine cover is already offered

i can think of 20 things that i want wrapped in CF

one of them is my right arm

no..but seriously...do they just wrap the existing piece with Cf and clearcoat it..or do they fabricate a totally new piece

because if they did the former..then it would weigh a lot
Old 09-24-2003, 03:03 PM
aproy

if a mold is needed, they fabricate the whole piece. and i agree that they should concentrate on pieces that arent available. IPF makes a very quality replacement for the engine cover already. (or is it IPT? you get the picture!)
Old 09-24-2003, 04:13 PM
twenzel

Originally posted by SizongZ
I agree with the center console in CF
SizongZ- You avatar looks very familiar...

Old 09-24-2003, 04:34 PM
havabooz

its IPT...and tell these guys ..with CF fabricated pieces its hard to get a group buy (because not everyone loves CF)

so they will have to start doing it for individual people if they want to make money
Old 09-24-2003, 08:00 PM
Chris S

You're going to have to spend a hellacious amount of money to shave enough weight to make a noticeable difference.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Enron Exec

How about CF doors or hatch? Those weight a good bit.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:35 PM
twenzel

I was thinking carbon fiber hatch with lexan window. I would consider doors but that has to cost a pretty penny.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:34 PM
IPT

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Fabricator?

Originally posted by tonywenzel
Is there a place in austin or surrounding areas that can fabricate custom carbon fiber peices or body parts?

I want to shave some weight off this car without drastically changing the appearance.

-Tony
Give us a call and let me know what you want to do !

Let me clarify some things for you guys because some people don't really understand carbon fiber.

Like the engine cover above That is what you call a "Wet Laminate Piece"

That means that the part is wrapped in one sheet of carbon fiber over "fiberglass" or "plastic" Then is is CLEARCOATED !!

No weight savings there Fiberglass is freaking heavy !!!

Most of them also lay over the top with velcro for instince "ABD"
"DG Motorsports"

The way we do it IPT www.iptmotorsports.com is We use NO FIBERGLASS ...........NONE !!!

The parts we make are all the way through carbon fiber sturdy and pound for pound stronger then steel.

They are vacum packed and sent in to a Autoclav with heat and pressure that is what makes the stuff strong...

Light weight and strong !!

Also most of the shops out there that are producing some of the underhood pieces are not using a THEMOSET RESIN and HIGH TEMP RESISTANT MOLD

If you do not use this the underhood pieces will Turn Yellow and Get very Brittle. Some guys on this forum have allready gone that route and were upset !!! So they went to the IPT Cover and everything Worked out They didn't have that problem after that..

Of course The process we use is alot more exspensive then the "Wet Laminate" Process. But it is the right way if you want a light weight Carbon fiber piece and one that will resist heat.

So when people say i have a piece for sale it is 100% carbon Fiber or "GRADE A" ....is the term now ! Make sure it is not "Wet Laminate"

Looks good but not the real deal

You can also tell by the price :

here are 2 Example's

S2000 hood "VIS" 399.00
"J's Racing Hood" 2999.00

DG Z engine cover " 279.00
IPT Z engine cover " 369.00

http://store.yahoo.com/iptmotorsports/zpic3.html

Carbon Fiber is very exspensive to work with and it is all done by hand there are no machines that spit this stuff out.

Keep in mind My parts pop out of the Mold looking like they do no clearcoat is done.

We are allready in the process of working on the center console it will be ready by SEMA Show in november !!

If any of you guys will be there IPT's booth number is #12370

Parker
www.iptmotorsports.com
Old 09-24-2003, 09:40 PM
IPT

Parker
www.iptmotorsports.com
Old 09-25-2003, 02:23 AM
daddy Z

Default Re: Re: Carbon Fiber Fabricator?

Originally posted by IPT

Let me clarify some things for you guys because some people don't really understand carbon fiber.

Like the engine cover above That is what you call a "Wet Laminate Piece"

That means that the part is wrapped in one sheet of carbon fiber over "fiberglass" or "plastic" Then is is CLEARCOATED !!

No weight savings there Fiberglass is freaking heavy !!!
DG Z engine cover " 279.00
IPT Z engine cover " 369.00
"WOW way to steal a tread "

you slam the piece above and you know nothing about it. for your information it is true carbon fiber and weighs next to nothing that's right every bit as good as your cover and only

$200.00

Last edited by daddy Z; 04-09-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:45 AM
twenzel

thread status: hijacked

IPT, have you thought about producing a hatch replacment? How much would you sell this for with or without a lexan window?
Old 09-25-2003, 07:20 AM
IPT

Default Re: Re: Re: Carbon Fiber Fabricator?

Originally posted by daddy Z
"WOW way to steal a tread "

you slam the piece above and you know nothing about it. for your information it is true carbon fiber and weighs next to nothing that's right every bit as good as your cover and only

$200.00
Daddy Z this was not a thread hijack "Tony Wensel" Asked if there was any local Carbon Fiber Manufacturer !!

Im in Fort worth

Also Tommys Piece owner of Complete aero kits Which i have known for 7 years is Wet Laminate !!!

He carrys certain parts of our line " Supra Part"

So to state that i know nothing about it is wrong and you have no idea what you are talking about : )

If you ask him Shane or Tommy will tell you it is Wet laminate over fiberglass. They got the best damn wet lamianate i have ever seen. I love what he did the inside of Sin's his wifes NSX awesome

Hell all you have to do is Turn it over and you can see the fiberglass painted "black" on the backsides.. I Personally now the guy that makes there parts in China for him

I use to have there NSX carbon vents on my personal car that tommy gave me for free on my NSX..

If you ask he will tell you it is Wet laminate

Parker

Tony call me

Old 09-25-2003, 07:15 PM
Enron Exec

Im with Tonywenzel, I would very much like to see how much, in terms of cost and weight, a dry CF hatch w/ and w/o a lexan rear window will run. Im sure the hatch is an easy part to mold. If IPT wants to make this, please keep material to a minumum cause its helps lower the cost and weight. Its a double wammy! The dry CF hatch doesnt need to support much weight and it plays no part in the rigidity of the car I believe. If you guys can beat Amuse's price and weight by a few pounds, you will have my buisness and certainly dozens more. Can we do group buys since they are made in batches?
Old 09-25-2003, 07:18 PM
daddy Z

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Carbon Fiber Fabricator?

Originally posted by IPT
If you ask him Shane or Tommy will tell you it is Wet laminate over fiberglass.Hell all you have to do is Turn it over and you can see the fiberglass painted "black" on the backsides..
first off the piece I am showing is not made by Tommy or in China. It is made by a friend of his Island Motor Sports in California. Second YES it is true Carbon Fiber ..... I did turn it over and still cabon fiber.

I went to the NOPI Atlanta show and that is where I saw it and got to guy to commit to a group buy for $200
Old 09-25-2003, 08:54 PM
IPT

Originally posted by daddy Z
I work for a company in Arlington, Texas that can copy anything in carbon fiber. Their price is great but a mold must be produced first. In order to make it economical you have to order a minimum of 10 and up to 25 for say a hood. You also have to provide them the original to copy.

They are Complete Aerokits
www.completeaerokits.com
2001 W. Pioneer Pkwy.
Arlington, TX. 76017
817 795 2770

They are making a carbon fiber engine cover for the Z now all I have to do is get 9 more people to go in with me so we can get it for $200 each
Dady Z im not going to fight with your or give you another lesson

But as you said in your fist post

"I work for a company in Arlington, Texas that can copy anything in carbon fiber. Their price is great but a mold must be produced first. In order to make it economical you have to order a minimum of 10 and up to 25 for say a hood. You also have to provide them the original to copy.

They are Complete Aerokits
www.completeaerokits.com
2001 W. Pioneer Pkwy.
Arlington, TX. 76017
817 795 2770

They are making a carbon fiber engine cover for the Z now all I have to do is get 9 more people to go in with me so we can get it for $200 each"

That says nothing about island motorsportsyou make it sound like tommy is making the parts...

Tommy is the owner of Complete Aero kits

By the way if you really want to know about island motorsports they wanted us to make them some parts wet lamianate process but then they knew we did not do it that way so nough said

Tony i got your info on my site today that you submitted i will get in touch with you next week

We are so slamed right now because of SEMA coming up.

We can talk about this more

Enron Exec

I like what you said if it plays no part in rigidy then that helps to keep the cost down.

I know we can do this not that hard

i will keep you guys posted on this

Parker
Old 09-26-2003, 11:56 PM
daddy Z

Originally posted by IPT
Dady Z im not going to fight with your or give you another lesson By the way if you really want to know about island motorsports they wanted us to make them some parts wet lamianate process but then they knew we did not do it that way so nough said
not asking for either a fight or a lesson
all I am saying is I have access to a very nice true carbon fiber engine cover for $200.
enough said I hope
Old 09-27-2003, 12:44 PM
IPT

Not true carbon fiber and there is no thermoset resin on the part

We have just collected some pieces from other companys and there is going to be a explanation of the diffrence.

This will be in video and pictures to show it will be very informative.

Will be showing this at SEMA and it will be on our website

Parker

www.iptmotorsports.com

TRUE MOLD

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Fabricator?