Notices
Texas Dallas, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, etc.

[DFW]: Need help changing spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:00 PM
hypeiv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help changing spark plugs

I posted awhile ago asking about a shop that I could get my plugs changed at that would be a better price than the dealer and people on this forum encouraged me to just do it myself.

Well after hours of trying later and nothing to show but a sore back I think I have done all I can on my own.

Are there any DIY'ers that have time this weekend to help me out? I live in Richardson but willing to drive to your place and bring beer/pizza, etc for anyone that can show me how its done.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:07 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I'd be willing to help you out. I actually wrote the DIY for this, so if you haven't seen it then I suggest you take a look at it.

I actually need to change my plugs, too.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:12 PM
hypeiv

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
I'd be willing to help you out. I actually wrote the DIY for this, so if you haven't seen it then I suggest you take a look at it.

I actually need to change my plugs, too.
Yes I was looking at your guide as well as a few others. I didn't get very far before I realized I was taking too long and so I just decided to put it back together because it was getting pretty dark and I didn't want to mess anything up. I am free all day tomorrow and sunday afternoon.... I can pay for your plugs and we can get both our cars taken care of
Old 01-08-2010, 05:26 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Originally Posted by hypeiv
Yes I was looking at your guide as well as a few others. I didn't get very far before I realized I was taking too long and so I just decided to put it back together because it was getting pretty dark and I didn't want to mess anything up. I am free all day tomorrow and sunday afternoon.... I can pay for your plugs and we can get both our cars taken care of
Haha, thanks for the offer, but I already have my plugs, re-gapped and everything. I have a few things I want to do before changing the plugs, and I'm just procrastinating.

BTW, you shouldn't have stopped. The first attempt will always take the longest, but that's how you learn. I suggest you try it again yourself using my (or others') DIY or the FSM, regardless of how long it takes you. As long as you follow the directions, you can't really mess up anything.

Just go slow and be sure to label all the bolts/nuts so you know where they belong during reinstallation or at least put them in the order they came out.

If you still can't do it or don't want to, maybe we can work something out for Sunday.

edit - replied to PM
Old 01-08-2010, 05:40 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

hypeiv,

I just changed mine a couple of months ago with the help from JasonZ-YA...he's a Mod and helped me do mine.

3hree5ive0ero is right....you should of keep going....one of the sides is easier and the other is just a bit more difficult. But you can do them all in about 1-1 1/2 hrs.

I took my time and I was really glad I had some guys around to help me with the confidence level.

You will see & feel a nice difference when it's done. If you still need help...I can help you out....I live in Flower mound.

Good Luck !
Old 01-08-2010, 06:18 PM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

The harder side was probably the driver's side since you'd have to take out your intake tube and move some hoses out of the way to get good access to the plugs.

I talked to OP/Rick and I'll be helping him out with a few things in the next coming weeks. I live pretty close to him too so it should be a fun day.