Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

TurboXS would like a few helpers...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 04:12 PM
BlackTuner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TurboXS would like a few helpers...

Hello Everyone,

TurboXS is looking for atleast 3 guys or gals with a Z or G Naturally Aspirated with varying modifications and others with Forced Induction; Supercharger, Nitrous or Turbo.

What they will need access to is:
1) A Scan Tool with the ability to data log the following parameters.
a. RPM
b. Ignition Timing
c. Throttle Position
d. Calculated Load
2) An open road where they can get a few WOT runs without hurting someone or getting a ticket.

The idea here is to see what timing variance we start to see as modifications are changed. Also If the vehicle is using some type of Timing Offset computer such as an Emanage, please post your timing map as well. As I am typing this I am coming across even better idea, for informational purposes if anyone who has a ECU Reflash with the (2) requirements to this test I would be grateful as well.

To give everyone some information about TurboXS as a company and what we do. We are mostly known for our turbochargers accessories Blow Off Valves, Boost Controllers and our UTEC Engine Management Systems for the WRX and the EVO8.

Thanks for you help in advanced.

If you have any question please feel free to ask away.

Jermaine@turboxs.com
www.turboxs.com
301-977-4727
Old 06-14-2005, 05:25 AM
nearly zer0

i wish i could help you out, but all i have is a bone stock Z.

i just want to thank turboxs for starting to get involved in the z tuning scene, we really need someone expierenced to square away our ecu.

I ran a utec on my wrx and it worked great! i hated the car, but the utec was the best mod i did to it.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:10 AM
mojo powered

same here.. I only have an intake.. but I'd definitely be interested giving my car as a guinea pig for such testing, certainly to a company like TurboXS.

Extra credits to go TurboXS since it was started by Lehigh Grads if I am not mistaken... Go Lehigh!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:34 AM
MIAPLAYA

Does the location matter. I have the Turbonetics kit with a ECU reflash...
Old 06-14-2005, 10:26 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Does the location matter. I have the Turbonetics kit with a ECU reflash...
I definitely would like to see a few logs from your vehicle. I'd love to see what kind of Ignition timing your ECU is runing with Forced Induction.

I have a few of my own Ignition Timing logs that are outrageously high, before I make a judgement I want to have some more data to back up my speculation.

Thanks to everyone who is interested in helping,

Jermaine@turboxs.com
Old 06-14-2005, 10:27 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
I definitely would like to see a few logs from your vehicle. I'd love to see what kind of Ignition timing your ECU is runing with Forced Induction.

I have a few of my own Ignition Timing logs that are outrageously high, before I make a judgement I want to have some more data to back up my speculation.

Thanks to everyone who is interested in helping,

Jermaine@turboxs.com
I'll see what I can do....
Old 06-14-2005, 04:11 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you want any Z's closer to you? I'm a bit confused as to what you are looking for.

But I will say that I've been impressed with TurboXS stuff thus far... my WRX TurboXS TBE sure looks nice even though it's still sitting in my garage awaiting installation.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:42 PM
BlackTuner

What i need is a data log of some full throttle run's in 3rd or 4th gear with this following items being datalogged.

a. RPM
b. Ignition Timing
c. Throttle Position
d. Calculated Load

I am kinda taking our engineer's approach on this, in which he asked us to run a test and doesn't tell us what we are doing. This way proceed with an un biased procedure.

Thanks,
Jermiane@turboxs.com

P.S. Being close to use can't hurt at all though

Last edited by BlackTuner; 06-14-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:42 AM
John

Sent you an email...
Old 06-15-2005, 05:27 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

What i need is a data log of some full throttle run's in 3rd or 4th gear with this following items being datalogged.

a. RPM
b. Ignition Timing
c. Throttle Position
d. Calculated Load

I am kinda taking our engineer's approach on this, in which he asked us to run a test and doesn't tell us what we are doing. This way proceed with an un biased procedure.

Thanks,
Jermiane@turboxs.com

P.S. Being close to use can't hurt at all though
To check timing, you really dont need any specially modded cars. It shouldnt be too hard to even find a few stockish Z's in your area to run some tests on.

Also just a note as you begin datalogging the timing. The "outrageously" high timing you are seeing is probably at cruise or part throttle/light load. At cruise, the ECU will run roughly 35-40 degrees of total timing advance. At WOT, it immediately drops to around 24-27 degrees and stays very stable in this range...nearly to redline. I have a seen a one or two point pickup in timing just after 6000rpm or so.

I've done this test on a few stock Z's, and also some F/I Z's. So don't be alarmed if you see 40 degrees of timing advnace in your logs, as it is undoubtedly a momentary spike, as you transitioned from part throttle to WOT. :F

Hope that helps... And thanks for starting to get involved with the VQ35!
Old 06-15-2005, 06:09 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
To check timing, you really dont need any specially modded cars. It shouldnt be too hard to even find a few stockish Z's in your area to run some tests on.

Also just a note as you begin datalogging the timing. The "outrageously" high timing you are seeing is probably at cruise or part throttle/light load. At cruise, the ECU will run roughly 35-40 degrees of total timing advance. At WOT, it immediately drops to around 24-27 degrees and stays very stable in this range...nearly to redline. I have a seen a one or two point pickup in timing just after 6000rpm or so.

I've done this test on a few stock Z's, and also some F/I Z's. So don't be alarmed if you see 40 degrees of timing advnace in your logs, as it is undoubtedly a momentary spike, as you transitioned from part throttle to WOT. :F

Hope that helps... And thanks for starting to get involved with the VQ35!
This I know, for an naturally aspirated car that ignition timing is completely normal. 24-27 Degrees of Ignition timing on any type of FI car usually end up in bad mojo. These timing spikes that you speak of are typically what I have seen many guys kill ringlands, pistons and even snap rods from the abnormal force being applied to them from detonation.

The reason for this outreach of testers is not because we don't have a Z car to use, is because I need more data from different cars other than ours.

I will say this, while driving the Z for over a year now relatively stock. I have audibly heard it detonate, I have felt the car get very sluggish and I have felt the car just haul ***. This tells me that the Ignition timing is clearly dynamic from experience with previous platforms and experiences. With it being a high horsepower 6 cyl. I expect it to be.

A quick test for me which usually lets me know if my car is "Happy" I can part throttle up to about 4k in 2nd gear and then tip in about 85% throttle sometimes is feels really strong, sometimes it feels so, so. Give it a shot, I bet you'll see what I am talking about. Remember those timing spikes, they feel pretty good, sometimes.

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com

Last edited by BlackTuner; 06-15-2005 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:22 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

This I know, for an naturally aspirated car that ignition timing is completely normal. 24-27 Degrees of Ignition timing on any type of FI car usually end up in bad mojo. These timing spikes that you speak of are typically what I have seen many guys kill ringlands, pistons and even snap rods from the abnormal force being applied to them from detonation.
Jermaine@turboxs.com
Correct, but most of us are using piggybacks of some type, which dont directly set timing. They retard from the base ECU mapping, which we cant see. So if you plug a scanner into the OBDII port, you will be logging the base ECU timing, and not the actual timing the engine is running.

For instance, if stock timing is 25 degrees at a certain point, and then I subtract 8 degrees from via eManage, the OBDII scanner will still show 25 degrees.

So the only way to scan actual timing, would be to talk to the guys running TS timing reflash, or the HKS standalone guys. They are setting timing, instead of retarding from the base ECU map.

I guess I am still a little confused on what you need from us.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:27 AM
mojo powered

Sharif, I think you're dead on what he needs.. that's what I understood as well.

In this case, if BlackTuner would like to get timing info on a FI car, you definitely need a reflashed car that is solely relying on the reflash as far as timing control goes. A stock ECU FI Z with a piggyback (eManage or APS' Unichip) will not help as Sharif said.

I'd look for either a Turbonetics car or a Greddy TT with a Greddy TT Technosquare flash for it.

PS: I really hope -by the way- that this is for some UTEC 350Z application research That'd be real nice!
Old 06-15-2005, 06:34 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Correct, but most of us are using piggybacks of some type, which dont directly set timing. They retard from the base ECU mapping, which we cant see. So if you plug a scanner into the OBDII port, you will be logging the base ECU timing, and not the actual timing the engine is running.

For instance, if stock timing is 25 degrees at a certain point, and then I subtract 8 degrees from via eManage, the OBDII scanner will still show 25 degrees.

So the only way to scan actual timing, would be to talk to the guys running TS timing reflash, or the HKS standalone guys. They are setting timing, instead of retarding from the base ECU map.

I guess I am still a little confused on what you need from us.
Right, this is why I asked if you are using an offset styled fuel and timing computer (Emanage) post your maps from that unit so I can take your offsets into account with the values your stock ecu will be outputting. TS Flash guys are welcome to help if they have a datalogging scan tool. HKS guys, sorry not needed .

I need datalogs of the following:

a. RPM
b. Ignition Timing
c. Throttle Position
d. Calculated Load

If you are using an offset styled computer (Emanage), I'll need to see your Ingition Timing map as well.

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com

P.S. Sharrif, you have all the goods I am interested in seeing results from. I hope you can help us out.

Last edited by BlackTuner; 06-15-2005 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:18 AM
maxfaraday311

Hey Jermaine,
We met a few weeks ago over at TurboXS when my buddy was getting his Blue STI dynoed (was about 405 on pump gas). We were talking about that guy getting raped and you said after they were done they put it in his mouth. At any rate my Z has JWT pop charger and the Crawford Plenum. I'm about to get exhaust and test pipes, and am entertaining the idea of FI via Turbonetics single turbo. How long would you need if I swung by one of these weekends?
Old 06-15-2005, 08:32 AM
BlackTuner

Hey what's up man..

I actually don't need the car, if you have the tools to do the independent testing that would be sweet. Weekends suck for me cause we are tuning anywhere from 3-4 cars on Saturday, I really don't have time to eat as you may have witnessed.

At any rate, with whatever round of modifications you decide to go with I think we will have something to suit your needs .

Thanks,
Jermaine@turboxs.com

P.S. Good job of cleaning up my comment, it definitely wasn't PG rated.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:37 AM
maxfaraday311

Right on. Wish I could help, but I don't really have the tools save
for a road I can go fast on. But i'm looking forward to having my
very own ZTEC so I can be cool like all my subaru buddies.

I might be able to find one to borrow, I'll see what I can do.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:09 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

P.S. Sharrif, you have all the goods I am interested in seeing results from. I hope you can help us out.
PM sent...hope I can help!
Old 06-15-2005, 10:51 AM
nearly zer0

if the ecu does have very dynamic timing control, won't it be difficult to run any piggyback since you are just intercepting the signal instead of just directly changing the mapping tables on the ecu (if possible..)?
Old 06-15-2005, 11:23 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by nearly zer0
if the ecu does have very dynamic timing control, won't it be difficult to run any piggyback since you are just intercepting the signal instead of just directly changing the mapping tables on the ecu (if possible..)?

Quick Reply: TurboXS would like a few helpers...