Notices
Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

Safc Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 02:35 PM
MIABLK350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safc Install Help

Hey fellow Z drivers, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a write up on installing the SAFC on a 350z. Or any type of reference on installing it on a 350z like diagrams of the wiring. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:14 PM
BurnMac42

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

apexi's website doesnt have one??? and just out of curiousity why are you hooking up a SAFCII?? is your car turboed?? oh and definitely slap it on a dyno when tuning that i almost blew my supra's engine fooling with that thing without proper dynoing
Old 11-18-2005, 05:57 PM
MIABLK350Z

I checked their website they don't have anything on the 350z. The car is not turbo yet but I have it and it does help tune NA cars also. I have a few bolt ons on the car and I was just going to install it now to get that out of the way.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:26 AM
CodeRed30

Let us know how that goes. I haven"t heard of a N/A Z with one before. I'm interested though.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:14 PM
MIABLK350Z

I have seen other cars that are NA use it to fine tune when they put mods on. I was reading up on this but have not found much info on installing the AFC on the Z. I found one forum that the people where saying that the AFC doesn't work well with the Z but from what I read it seamed that the reason for it not working was because of improper installation. I use to tune my GST with the AFC and it never gave me any problems at all it was great. I would think that the SAFC would be a better way to tune the a/f when you put mods rather than getting a reflash. Other than the fact that the reflash does other things like the rev limit and stuff. I was also thinking that the AFC would be better as you continue to mod since you can tune it without sending the ECU to get reflashed for the new things you do. If anyone has any input on this I would really like to know. Thanks guys.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:21 AM
atlsupdawg#2

Originally Posted by MIABLK350Z
Hey fellow Z drivers, I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a write up on installing the SAFC on a 350z. Or any type of reference on installing it on a 350z like diagrams of the wiring. Thanks in advance for the help.
RED WIRE (Power) - Pin 109 or 119
GREEN WIRE (RPM Signal) - Don't know this wire off hand. Have to find it for you.
GRAY WIRE (Throttle Signal) - Pin 50
BROWN WIRE (Ground) / BLACK WIRE (Ground) - Pins 1 115 or 116

Next is the Airflow wire which you need to cut in half.
YELLOW WIRE (Airflow Signal Out) - Pin 51 wire going to the ECU
WHITE WIRE (Airflow Signal In) - Pin 51 wire going to MAF.

Hope this helps, at least for the install portion..Hopefully someone can chime in with the RPM signal pin no.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:54 PM
MIABLK350Z

Thanks man thats a start.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:21 PM
oo_snoopy

In PDF format.

http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdfWiring/7.pdf
Old 11-27-2005, 09:25 PM
oo_snoopy

The SAFC is a great way to street tune (If you have a wideband O2 sensor.) Or you can take your car to a shop and have them use their temp o2 sensor and dyno to tune your A/F.

Getting your ECU re-flashed without the person doing the re-flash having fuel maps/timing curves/knock and O2 info isn't half as good and getting your car tuned with that information.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:57 PM
MIABLK350Z

Well I found all the info!!! The only thing is that I found it under the AFC2 and I got the AFC1 . So now I think i am going to sell this and get a 2 . Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:11 AM
MIABLK350Z

Hey guys I know a few of you were interested in how it would go after the install. It actually works perfect!!! I installed a wideband before the AFC to see what my A/F was doing and with the mods I had it was running very lean at first and then it would get really rich. I installed the AFC and was able to fix the A/F and now it holds steady at whatever I want to set it at. I heard that the ECU bypasses the AFC but I have had it on the car for almost a month and its still keeping the setting so I guess that isn't true. My friend gave me his SAFC 2 the other day so I am going to swap them out and see if that makes any difference. All in all I would say its worth getting. Then install was easy once I had all the wires seperated and the tuning is simple. The only thing is that you need to fine tune it almost every day cause changes in temp affect the settings. If you have a wideband then its simple and it takes about two or three runs to set it again. Well hope this helps.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:12 PM
gsi

rpm infoSafc Install Help-uuuuuuuuu.jpg
Old 05-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll save you the trouble...don't even bother.

It works fine on a Z, for very very small corrections. Try to get it do any change more than 5% and the stock ecu takes over in very short order. Not to mention without any logging features, as you lean your car out, or richen the car up, you are changing the timing curves. Problem is, you have no idea what changes are being made to those curves. Yes you're settings will stay the same, but the tune will not, which is why it needs to be played with everyday. For some, that's fine. For most everyone else, it's a royal pain the butt to deal with.