Tuning Reflashes, Piggybacks, Standalone ECUs

AAM Review - UTEC Engine Management System

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nate_johnson17
Really though, what are the major differences between the UTEC and the Greddy Emanage Ultimate?
One of the most notable differences is how they control the fuel and timing.

The e-Manage Ultimate modifies signals from factory sensors to manipulate the ECU into thinking conditions are differet than they are. For example, larger injectors can be accomidated by decreasing the MAF sensor signal to the ECU. This decreased siganl makes the ECU believe there is less air entering the motor than their really is. The result is that the ECU cuts back on the injector output = less fuel is delivered to the engine. Ultimatly, however, the factory computer is incharge and can modify/change its base mapping which will result in fuel and/or timing that is not desired.

The UTEC can be programmed to act like a standalone engine management computuer under high load (NA setup) or boost (turbocharged/superchared setup). The UTEC computer determins and sends its commands directly to the injectors and ignition. The factory ECU is bypasses (by the UTEC ECU) and thus cannot change anything.

So, to explain timing, when you are adding or decreasing timing via the e-manage Ultimate you are adding or subtracting off the factory ECU's base map. There are several factory maps so depending on which map the ECU decides to run, your timing can change. The UTEC acts complete as its own ECU, thus bypassing the factory ECU and its mapping/programming altogether, and outputs the exact desired timing you program it to.

With fuel, the e-manage Ultimate both modifies the MAF signal and is able to add additional injector pulse or subtract injector pulse off the factory map. This works but the facotry computer still has the ultimate say in what fuel is delivered. The UTEC works similarly at light load / in vacuum. Under high load / boost, the UTEC completely bypasses the factory ECU - becomes its own ECU - and direclty controls the injectors.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by Mike@Altered; 12-06-2005 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:15 PM
nate_johnson17

So are you saying that the engine can jump from one map (Greddy Ultimate Tuned) to another (Stock ECU) at any time?? Isn't that hard one the VQ?? I haven't heard of this happening with the greddy unit, any with the EU care to chime in?
Old 12-06-2005, 05:19 PM
BobbyRitz

Originally Posted by Mike@Altered
The Tuner Pro has more inputs and outputs than the Tuner REG (ie. injector duty cylce, maf frequency, map, etc). Many of which would never be used by the end user and many of which can be viewed with the UTEC's dashboard feature already.

The Tuner Pro also comes with a provision for headphones if you'd like to listed closely to the engine for detonation. Any good UTEC tuner will utilize the Tuner Pro while on the dyno (modified to be portable from car to car).

The Tuner REG is a great reliable wideband controller that integrates with the UTEC and greatly aids tuning. I suspect most UTEC's will be sold with the Tuner REG for precise end user datalogging and ease of tuning.

Hope this helps,
Did you figure out when you would be able to install and tune? I'm hoping for this Friday. (fingers crossed)
Old 12-06-2005, 08:15 PM
dynamic6er

Originally Posted by nate_johnson17
So are you saying that the engine can jump from one map (Greddy Ultimate Tuned) to another (Stock ECU) at any time?? Isn't that hard one the VQ?? I haven't heard of this happening with the greddy unit, any with the EU care to chime in?
The factory ECU has three different timing/fuel maps built in. When the factory ECU sees certian conditions it will select map A, B, or C. Because the Emanage Ultimate is just modifying the input signals and some of the output signals it is still depended on the factory ECU for its base fuel and timing. In other words it is a so-called "dumb" computer.

Lets say the EU was tuned while the car is using Map B, which is normal for dyno conditions. Then the car is taken out and run on the street. Things are nice and peachy until the car decides to run Timing MAP A becasue the weather is cool, no knock is detected by the factory knock sensor, and what ever other conditions are met to move to the A Map. Now on the A Map your timing is Advance by 2 to 7 degrees! This is completely unsafe for any high performance/compression/boosted motor.

The factory ECU also has a dynamic fueling stratagy that can vary fuel trims by ~20%. A 5% swing is huge for any performance motor.

The UTEC is a so-called "smart" computer. It is able to determine when it wants to fire the coils and injectors. Its has its own drivers, just like the factory ECU to tell the injector to fire and to tell the coil when to ignite. There is no way for the factory ECU to trim fuel curves and no way for the factory ECU to advance timing. The UTEC has just taken that control away. For a naturally aspirated VQ this is not a huge concern, but for a boosted motor this is the safest way to go about it. Without a doubt this is THE PREMIER Engine Management, short of the HKS F-Con Pro.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:18 PM
dynamic6er

Originally Posted by BobbyRitz
Did you figure out when you would be able to install and tune? I'm hoping for this Friday. (fingers crossed)
Mike or I will give you a call tomorrow. We're excited man!
Old 12-06-2005, 08:59 PM
DomZ

One of the most notable differences is how they control the fuel and timing.

The e-Manage Ultimate modifies signals from factory sensors to manipulate the ECU into thinking conditions are differet than they are. For example, larger injectors can be accomidated by decreasing the MAF sensor signal to the ECU. This decreased siganl makes the ECU believe there is less air entering the motor than their really is. The result is that the ECU cuts back on the injector output = less fuel is delivered to the engine. Ultimatly, however, the factory computer is incharge and can modify/change its base mapping which will result in fuel and/or timing that is not desired.

The UTEC can be programmed to act like a standalone engine management computuer under high load (NA setup) or boost (turbocharged/superchared setup). The UTEC computer determins and sends its commands directly to the injectors and ignition. The factory ECU is bypasses (by the UTEC ECU) and thus cannot change anything.

So, to explain timing, when you are adding or decreasing timing via the e-manage Ultimate you are adding or subtracting off the factory ECU's base map. There are several factory maps so depending on which map the ECU decides to run, your timing can change. The UTEC acts complete as its own ECU, thus bypassing the factory ECU and its mapping/programming altogether, and outputs the exact desired timing you program it to.

With fuel, the e-manage Ultimate both modifies the MAF signal and is able to add additional injector pulse or subtract injector pulse off the factory map. This works but the facotry computer still has the ultimate say in what fuel is delivered. The UTEC works similarly at light load / in vacuum. Under high load / boost, the UTEC completely bypasses the factory ECU - becomes its own ECU - and direclty controls the injectors.

Hope this helps,

So, can I assume that using UTEC will allow me to LOCK my timing in full time without the ECU screwing with it or no? I want to be able to select a map for max power on the street 93 or 94 octane...possibly even 100 octane at the track, etc. I know that the ECU likes to change itself because I can feel an obvious difference when it decides to advance timing. I have heard the best way to dyno our cars is to throw some 100+ octane in and let the ECU get used to it, thus bringing full advance.

I'm talking full NA setup, possibly with nitrous, and I hope to have this very soon.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:24 AM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by DomZ
So, can I assume that using UTEC will allow me to LOCK my timing in full time without the ECU screwing with it or no? I want to be able to select a map for max power on the street 93 or 94 octane...possibly even 100 octane at the track, etc.
Correct, the UTEC can be setup to fire the injecots and coils - no factory ECU messing with it. You can select up to five maps for any combination of street/race/gas type etc.

We are in the process of finalizing some dynamite AAM NA maps that will really help you get started.

Hope this helps,
Old 12-07-2005, 05:33 AM
BobbyRitz

Originally Posted by dynamic6er
Mike or I will give you a call tomorrow. We're excited man!
Thanks Dave...

We are all excited about this one...
Old 12-07-2005, 05:36 AM
BobbyRitz

Here's a question. Since the UTEC will allow the ECU to control the car in certain situations does this mean that the AAM ECU flash won't go to waste? Or will this flash be cleared out of the ECU?

Thx
Old 12-07-2005, 06:03 AM
BobbyRitz

Correct, the UTEC can be setup to fire the injecots and coils - no factory ECU messing with it. You can select up to five maps for any combination of street/race/gas type etc.

We are in the process of finalizing some dynamite AAM NA maps that will really help you get started.

Hope this helps,
I'd like to set up a few maps when I bring the car in. Maybe one for 100 octane fuel with significantly advanced timing...

It feels like Christmas over here!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 06:25 AM
DomZ

I'd like to set up a few maps when I bring the car in. Maybe one for 100 octane fuel with significantly advanced timing...

It feels like Christmas over here!!!
I'm with you on that one

5 maps for NA?

1. Fuel Economy
2. 100+ Octane
3. 93/94 Octane
4. 91 Octane
5. ????

I may have to make another trip to MD sooner than I thought...you guys rock!
Old 12-07-2005, 06:32 AM
nate_johnson17

What is the total cost of everything that is needed to run this setup on a NA application (check my sig for mods). This system doesn't require you to cut any wires correct? If you take the UTEC off your car everything is returned to stock specs right? Putting the UNIVERSAL NA map in is not a substitute for getting it tuned is it? Thanks for the input, you've got me intrested that's for sure!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:01 AM
dynamic6er

Z UTEC Instruction Manual!

http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/utec/utecman.pdf

Sweet!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:07 AM
dynamic6er

Here's a question. Since the UTEC will allow the ECU to control the car in certain situations does this mean that the AAM ECU flash won't go to waste? Or will this flash be cleared out of the ECU?

Thx
We will still use the AAM Flash for REV LIMIT and SPEED CUT. The REV LIMIT increase for the later '05's has not been confirmed with the UTEC and the SPEED CUT through the UTEC for any year is not confirmed as of yet.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:10 AM
froggy

Would it work on European 350Z (98 or 100 octane) ? Is it possible to install by myself with a "mechanic", and does it come with clear instructions? Thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 07:18 AM
dynamic6er

Originally Posted by froggy
Would it work on European 350Z (98 or 100 octane) ? Is it possible to install by myself with a "mechanic", and does it come with clear instructions? Thanks
It MAY work. To make 100% sure I would need you to go to the dealer and get an ECU pinout for a European Car. If you can then email or fax it to us I will check it against the US Specs and confirm it on our end and with TurboXS. Its awesome having the manufacturer less then 100 yards from our location!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:25 AM
nissansource

SWEET i must get a few
Old 12-07-2005, 11:27 AM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any shops on the west coast (Socal) get these units yet?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:51 AM
nissansource

so if its locking the Timing then the CAM PHASING isnt happening then... thorefore the max potential of the motor isnt utilized. is this correct? i thought the UTEC did the camphasing in the thread they where talking in couple months back. I was reading the manual and no where did i see this option. oh well not a biggie since it doesnt modify signal like a EU or afc. I do wonder if you can see the transition from Stock ECU to UTEC on a dyno when max load is expected. any hickups on this transition

Last edited by nissansource; 12-07-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:00 PM
atlsupdawg#2

Awesome write-up.. I know what'll go in my car..

Question for Mike or Dave, I know this unit is "vehicle specific" but is there ANY chance the UTEC can run low impedence injectors since it has it's own inj. drivers (if I read correctly)??

Quick Reply: AAM Review - UTEC Engine Management System